CIPP/E Advice

Comments

• ghostly_shadowghostly_shadow Member Posts: 5 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Cleared it with a score of 75/89/92. I'm a full time data protection lawyer. Although you do need to put in hours, some of the study routines presented here seem to be a bit overboard imho. The main issue for me was the bad drafting of questions and options. Too many instances of incomplete statements, problems with sentence structuring and bad grammar. At other times, I could vouch that all of the options presented were wrong, so I just picked the one which I thought someone who doesn't understand the law properly would pick. I would suggest not to overthink your answers during the exam. Even with the long winding questions, they aren't really expecting you to pick on minute details. 
  • AshenweltAshenwelt Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Cleared it with a score of 75/89/92. I'm a full time data protection lawyer. Although you do need to put in hours, some of the study routines presented here seem to be a bit overboard imho. The main issue for me was the bad drafting of questions and options. Too many instances of incomplete statements, problems with sentence structuring and bad grammar. At other times, I could vouch that all of the options presented were wrong, so I just picked the one which I thought someone who doesn't understand the law properly would pick. I would suggest not to overthink your answers during the exam. Even with the long winding questions, they aren't really expecting you to pick on minute details. 
    100% agree on this.
    Ashenwelt
    -Always working on something...
    -The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog
  • DPO_LondonDPO_London Member Posts: 10 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks, mate - Put in hours where? With the book alone? 
  • jooksjooks Member Posts: 1 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For those of you who have written CIPP/E: do you recall having been asked to remember specific Article numbers? Example: 'Article 12 says A B or C' kinda questions?
  • AshenweltAshenwelt Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□
    jooks said:
    For those of you who have written CIPP/E: do you recall having been asked to remember specific Article numbers? Example: 'Article 12 says A B or C' kinda questions?
    A few questions were this article or that article. 
    Ashenwelt
    -Always working on something...
    -The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog
    Ashenwelt said:
    jooks said:
    A few questions were this article or that article. 
    What does this mean? A few questions asked what Article X said? Or a few questions assumed that you knew the content of Article X without explaining? 
  • newatthisnewatthis Member Posts: 10 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The book has been at my side for a month now. I have read it in its entirety twice, taken notes, read the GDPR, and can't wait to be done the exam in 2 days. This forum has been super helpful. I have tried to follow the sets of outlines that were uploaded, the one by Jasper Hammink (link on page 3) was the most helpful. The forum won't let me share the link to it.

I haven't been able to afford the IAPP course so we shall see how it goes, I really want to be done reviewing the materials and really don't want to have to pay for a retake!
    From what I gather, some of the questions might refer to articles by number but I don't think we are tested on being able to know all of the numbers, but rather on the content.
    I have also discovered many sets of flash cards on Quizlet for free, from others who have been preparing for the exam. Search under CIPP/E on their site to find them, it's been a really good way to help me to know where to spend more time.
    If you don't have a background in data protection laws, I'd say start with the GDPR articles with the relevant recitals. Then read the book twice over. You will have to memorize the first section in the book, no way around it unless you have studied EU law before, so maybe leave it for the end.  No need to memorize anything else, but try and understand concepts. If you have time, go through the "scenarios" in ICO guidance.  
  • AlwaysStudyingAlwaysStudying Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you don't have a background in data protection laws, I'd say start with the GDPR articles with the relevant recitals. Then read the book twice over. You will have to memorize the first section in the book, no way around it unless you have studied EU law before, so maybe leave it for the end.  No need to memorize anything else, but try and understand concepts. If you have time, go through the "scenarios" in ICO guidance.  

I would disagree (amaicably) with GS's view....sure you can memorize the book, but can you apply the concepts, to scenarios?, even with viewing the ICO guidance?
    Also, how will you prepare for questions not in the official IAPP book? - ok...you want an example - not allowed to quote, but ensure you know what Forum Shopping means.
    One thing others have mentioned, that I forgot to, Quizlet, great source, to aid in preparation for the exam.
    Thank you! And when you say the first "section" you mean the whole Introduction to European Data Protection, correct? 
    Thank you! And when you say the first "section" you mean the whole Introduction to European Data Protection, correct? 
    Yeah mate, the first two chapters definitely.  

I would disagree (amaicably) with GS's view....sure you can memorize the book, but can you apply the concepts, to scenarios?, even with viewing the ICO guidance?
    Also, how will you prepare for questions not in the official IAPP book? - ok...you want an example - not allowed to quote, but ensure you know what Forum Shopping means.
    One thing others have mentioned, that I forgot to, Quizlet, great source, to aid in preparation for the exam.
    yeah there are obviously questions outside the scope of the book and the bare Act itself, albeit not too many so I wouldn't be too worried about it. You would have to rely on common sense and prior legal knowledge (if any). e.g. forum shopping isn't a privacy specific concept at all, so unless you plan to spend a fair few years becoming a solicitor, you can afford to skip or take an educated guess on these questions. Don't have to score a perfect 100!
    Just got back from the exam. Failed with 88/65/67, 291. I must have missed it by one question, very frustrating. I think a lot of it is luck. Some of the available answers for questions either make no sense or there are two that look equally correct. There was a lot of guessing. I am so sick of the material and am upset that I still have to keep that bloody book close at hand and read it a couple more times.
    Don't give up, though...
    From your score, Domains 2 & 3 need work...
    If you haven't already try:
    1. Ensuring you take notes for each point of the IAPP Body of Knowledge for the CIPP/e
    2. Remember which questions you were foxed on and address (if possible)
    3. Read up on WP29 notices & Field Fisher blogs
    4. Download the PDF (and order book-currently free) from https://publications.europa.eu/en/publication-detail/-/publication/5b0cfa83-63f3-11e8-ab9c-01aa75ed71a1
    4. 5-6 days before retake go to Quizlet.com, each day and take a different test.

Let us know how you get on and kick its ass this time!!! B)
    Right now I'm a little ticked off at them and feel like this is a way for them to make money. The questions were awful. So many times either none of the answers made sense or else two of the four options looked equally correct so I just needed to guess. In one case, the answers were pretty much identical, one said it straight up and the other used a double negative. I feel like I know the material. I think I need to spend more time on supervisory authorities and how they interact with controllers and processors. I was off by one bloody question. I have written many, many exams in my lifetime and this is the first one I failed and I definitely put the time in.
    Understand how you feel........unfortunately......
    I've passed 30 odd exams from various vendors, but this one is by far the most challenging.
    Next time try what someone on this site suggested - particularly for the scenario questions, read the answers first, then the question.
    May help......
    Only peace of solace, retake will be at a discounted price.......
    Don't give up, though...
    1. Ensuring you take notes for each point of the IAPP Body of Knowledge for the CIPP/e
    4. Download the PDF (and order book-currently free) from https://publications.europa.eu/en/publication-detail/-/publication/5b0cfa83-63f3-11e8-ab9c-01aa75ed71a1
    4. 5-6 days before retake go to Quizlet.com, each day and take a different test.

Don't give up, though...

Don't give up, though...

• AylaAyla Member Posts: 2 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi everyone. I failed my first attempt of CIPP/E with 56/65/67. Those questions have shocked me - made no sense. I have prepared for 2 months and I do feel I know the information, but with these kind of questions/answers, knowing the theory doesn't help, an alien language dictionary may :(. I actually ran out of time because I had to read those questions (and answers :o ) several times to understand them. I am not a data practitioner but decided to try and change my career. Silly old me! Thank you to everyone who shared their experience, thoughts, advice, they are really helpful. I am now trying to find WP29 notices and I cannot find them. Can anyone guide me in the right direction? 
    I've become a bit cynical about this and am convinced that this exam process is a way for them to generate revenue. I have 3 university degrees and this was the first exam I have failed. I know the questions are different each time, so if I spend more time on information to be provided by controllers and processors, and interactions with supervisory authorities, what I will see might be quite different. WP29 didn't factor into my exam. There were a few questions about the old regulations before GDPR, which I didn't spend a ton of time on because I didn't see the point since they don't apply anymore.
    Links to WP Opinions can be found on the ICO Guidance. Come to think of it, the scenario based questions are indeed very confusing. They have tried to include as many varying concepts as possible into one question, which just makes the question seem convoluted. Try not to get sucked into reading the full scenario over and over again, read the questions first and then locate the relevant paragraph. And do not overthink. 
  • cope206cope206 Member Posts: 4 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hello everyone! I scheduled my cipp/e test for Monday, 15th of April and I couldn't be more scared after reading everyone's impressions. Although I am a legal advisor I don't have a background on privacy, so I started preparing for this exam just like everybody else. I would like to ask this very nice community if you know  how many answers are possible for the questions. Are they multiple choice/singular choice/no right answer. It would be of great help to know since I read here that some of you felt that for some questions all the answers could be right... Thank you and good luck to everybody!
  • Phoenix19Phoenix19 Member Posts: 1 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just failed CIPP/E exam while I really know all. The questions were so confusing, extremely long description of cases and only few lines served for questions! Each time reading, I could see the concerns and the questions I expected were not asked - instead insanely big amount of questions like what is “NOT” right, what is “BEST”, questions about laws which were not any training material etc
    if only they would have asked correctly questions with answers... it was all confusing and weirdly written. I didnt knew I need to know a ranking of solutions.
    I studied a lot and failed with 75/65/65... and I dont know what to study because even knowing all by heart, the questions are just tiring - had to read them several times :(
  • AylaAyla Member Posts: 2 ■■□□□□□□□□
    cope206 said:
    Hello everyone! I scheduled my cipp/e test for Monday, 15th of April and I couldn't be more scared after reading everyone's impressions. Although I am a legal advisor I don't have a background on privacy, so I started preparing for this exam just like everybody else. I would like to ask this very nice community if you know  how many answers are possible for the questions. Are they multiple choice/singular choice/no right answer. It would be of great help to know since I read here that some of you felt that for some questions all the answers could be right... Thank you and good luck to everybody!
    HI . I replied to your message but not sure if you received it. There are 4 answers and you need to pick one. I think all tests are different but in mine only one was correct. It only allowed me one answer to choose. If I clicked on 2 answers, the first choice was automatically unclicked. 
    Phoenix19 said:
    Just failed CIPP/E exam while I really know all. The questions were so confusing, extremely long description of cases and only few lines served for questions! Each time reading, I could see the concerns and the questions I expected were not asked - instead insanely big amount of questions like what is “NOT” right, what is “BEST”, questions about laws which were not any training material etc
    if only they would have asked correctly questions with answers... it was all confusing and weirdly written. I didnt knew I need to know a ranking of solutions.
    I studied a lot and failed with 75/65/65... and I dont know what to study because even knowing all by heart, the questions are just tiring - had to read them several times :(
    Get the Sample questions for the exam from the IAPP site, they will give you the gist of the questions on the exam, they are easier.
  • cope206cope206 Member Posts: 4 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ayla said:
    cope206 said:
    HI . I replied to your message but not sure if you received it. There are 4 answers and you need to pick one. I think all tests are different but in mine only one was correct. It only allowed me one answer to choose. If I clicked on 2 answers, the first choice was automatically unclicked. 
    Hi Ayla, thank you for your answer. Yes, I received the message and I also replied to it and I was waiting for an answer, but as it appears, you accessed the "leave conversation" button which probably made you not see my response. Anyway, I am looking forward to the exam as my nerves are smashed and could use a break from the stress :D
  • Infosec_SamInfosec_Sam Admin Posts: 527 Admin
    cope206 said:
    Ayla said:
    cope206 said:
    Hi Ayla, thank you for your answer. Yes, I received the message and I also replied to it and I was waiting for an answer, but as it appears, you accessed the "leave conversation" button which probably made you not see my response. Anyway, I am looking forward to the exam as my nerves are smashed and could use a break from the stress :D
    Good luck on your exam on Monday! We're all rooting for you!
    Community Manager at Infosec!
    Who we are | What we do
  • abhisheksekhri1abhisheksekhri1 Member Posts: 2 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Can anyone please help me to understand the type of questions ? e.g., one answer correct, multiple answer correct, which of the following is not correct, true/false, etc. etc?