Going back to IT work

ElGato127ElGato127 Member Posts: 130 ■■■□□□□□□□
I may be making too much of the situation but here goes anyway . . . 

I've been out of IT work for about 6 months and would really like to get back in. The reason for being out is a personal situation that has required enough time away from work to make full time work impossible.
During that time I've been working as a substitute teacher (the schedule is flexible enough), so no obvious employment gap.
I've also managed to get a few certifications studying in the evenings.
Is there anything special I need to do to address this issue?

Let me know if you need any clarification.

Thanks

Comments

• Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    How long were you in IT work previously?
    Did you leave your previous job on good terms?

I am sure some employers will be critical of life choices but 6 months is a very short time in the course of a career.
  • ElGato127ElGato127 Member Posts: 130 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have nearly 3 years of experience
    Good enough terms.
  • Infosec_SamInfosec_Sam Admin Posts: 527 Admin
    I really don't think a 6-month IT gap is that big of a deal at all, especially since you were getting certifications during your break. I'm also interested in how long you were in IT prior to taking a break, but I really don't think you'll be starting back from the beginning. 

My gut would say that your prior IT experience and certifications could get you a phone screen with their hiring manager, at which point you could explain your situation and they'd never think twice about it.
    Community Manager at Infosec!
    Who we are | What we do
    Awesome, thanks.
    That helps set my mind at ease about applying.
  • yuddhidhtiryuddhidhtir Member Posts: 196 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think the interviewer will put emphasis on below things,
    1- Why you left IT and why you want to join again?
    2- How much experience,skills,knowledge you have for the job you applied.
    “Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment; full effort is full victory.”
  • mmanagermmanager Member Posts: 4 ■■□□□□□□□□
    And how about freelance work? 
  • MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    ElGato127 said:
    I may be making too much of the situation but here goes anyway . . . 

I've been out of IT work for about 6 months and would really like to get back in. The reason for being out is a personal situation that has required enough time away from work to make full time work impossible.
    During that time I've been working as a substitute teacher (the schedule is flexible enough), so no obvious employment gap.
    I've also managed to get a few certifications studying in the evenings.
    Is there anything special I need to do to address this issue?

Let me know if you need any clarification.

Thanks

Only 6 months plus you held other positions during the time... you'll be ok.

I stayed out for almost 4 yrs. 🤣 and got back in. You can do this. You're much better off than I was.

Just be cautious to keep the "reason" you had to remain away more positive, and I'm certain you'll sail back in.

• beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've been deployed for a year at a time, came back and didn't have a problem. Just stick with being a bit hungry for the position. Sit with your back away from the chair and people will take notice.

- b/eads
  • Basic85Basic85 Member Posts: 189 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Try about 3 years out.  
    Still won't matter much if your capable of performing the work.

- b/eads
    Would it help or hurt more to mention it in a cover letter?

• Swift6Swift6 Member Posts: 268 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Having completed certs during that time is good. Should boost your prospects for the next job.
    You are not really out of it.
  • Infosec_SamInfosec_Sam Admin Posts: 527 Admin
    ElGato127 said:

I feel like it would be a little out of place in a cover letter. I'd stick to a cover letter that just states your interest in the job and how you would be a good fit, based on your qualifications/experience. 
    Community Manager at Infosec!
    Who we are | What we do
    ElGato127 said:

Hurt .. 100%

Yeah, the cover letter is there to highlight your desire for the position. No need to shoot yourself in the foot explaining a gap in experience.

- b/eads
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    edited April 2019
    I really don't think a 6-month IT gap is that big of a deal at all, especially since you were getting certifications during your break. I'm also interested in how long you were in IT prior to taking a break, but I really don't think you'll be starting back from the beginning. 

My gut would say that your prior IT experience and certifications could get you a phone screen with their hiring manager, at which point you could explain your situation and they'd never think twice about it.
    I think it's getting close to making it more challenging getting in, but I agree overall 6 months ain't that big of a deal.  IMO you come up on a year or so and it becomes expotentially harder to get back in......   (Essentially takes more time).  
    Is it typical for agency recruiters to do a pre-interview before sending your resume to clients? It's been a little while since I've done this.
  • AvgITGeekAvgITGeek Member Posts: 342 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited April 2019
    @ElGato127 I was looking for work after 17 years at the same company so I didn't know what to expect and my very next job came through a recruiter and he did call me to verify some things and get more details about my resume and experience.
    It must be common practice to do an in-person pre-interview. I have a second one scheduled for Monday.
    I've had a few recruiters want a Skype interview beforehand, so I doubt it's out of the ordinary.

In all circumstances I got an interview within 2 or 3 days after the Skype interview with the recruiter.

Not sure if that's typical also but just throwing it out there in case it's an indicator.