Do your employers pay for your certifications?

2»

Comments

• dadajidadaji Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Where the heck do you guys work?
    Nothing is paid, no tution reimbursement, no cert expenses or nothing. Although, it is a small company. I might ask the company to pay for my next cert exam fees.
  • Basic85Basic85 Member Posts: 189 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Some employers will pay and some won't.  Some will tell you in the job description if they'll reimburse you for exam while others you'd have to ask on a case by case basis.  Has anyone gotten an employer to pay for an online university like WGU?  
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    edited April 2019
    blargoe said:
    mav2005 wrote: »
    IT in my area just doesn't pay much. A systems administrator for the county government only makes about $20 to $24 per hour.

Around here, county government doesn't pay squat regardless of what is going on in the private sector. Not sure if it's like that everywhere.
    Texas state government pays sometimes. It depends on each agency's budget. My last agency wouldn't pay for my certification training and testing. However, I really wanted to move out of there for several reasons, money of course being one of them. I knew that the only way that would happen was if I did it myself. Sure, I ran up a little debt, but it certainly paid off. Not only did I get a better job, but I also got a better PAYING job, which made my expenses totally worth the while. 

My advice to you: Start a certification/training savings account. Drop $10/$20/$50/whatever you can afford into it monthly and don't touch it until you've saved enough to pay for the exam that you want. In the meantime, figure out which certification you want to earn, download the exam objectives, and create a study plan. There are tons of free resources online for just about anything you want to learn. You might even find a cert guide in your local library or for cheap in a used bookstore. Or maybe a co-worker can lend you a copy.

Here's a good, free source: https://www.certmike.com/ 
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    edited April 2019
    Let's take a minute and talk about the 10 year respawn of this thread. Impressive.
  • LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I love thread necromancers!

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Usually have one paid class and maybe one offsite seminar a year. As far back as the dot com days I said I'd pay for any work related cert you past. You pay for the failed certs and that worked out well.

- b/eads
  • jumblerrjumblerr Member Posts: 101 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I run the budget so...yes :)
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If it's job specific for my role, yes. I had to pay for some of mine as they were out of scope of my job (eJPT, CISSP, other security ones), but they did pay for my Windows cert (Windows 7) and my current training and certification attempts (Microsoft 365 Enterprise Administrator). 
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    wow..I posted in this thread...10 YEARS AGO :open_mouth:
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    edited April 2019
    My current employer pays for training, books, and exams with no questions asked. They also cover annual maintenance fees and cert renewals. My two former employers paid for training and reimbursed for passed exams. I was a contractor in the beginning of my career and paid for everything out of pocket. 
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • kaijukaiju Member Posts: 453 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Previous employer paid for certs, cert maintenance fees, provided free online training for certs via LMS, paid for degrees associated with job field up to Masters Degree.

Current employer pays for absolutely nothing but the pay is damn good. I also have no qualms about paying for my own certs.
    Work smarter NOT harder! Semper Gumby!
  • mmanagermmanager Member Posts: 4 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My company covers 75% of such spendings.
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Taking the PenTest grad cert from SANS.edu, just completed my 3rd class in just under a year.  Company covered all of it via tuition reimbursement and training budget.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response