CCNP, CCVP, CCSP, CCIP?

hackdugoodhackdugood Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
Can anyone give me a broad description of what each one is about, what they involve you to know, and what you should basically know after getting the cert? Thanks.

Comments

• HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    I think mike could explain better then I..

CCNP -- Network Professional topics include LAN switching, Routing, WAN Technologies and Quality of Service

CCSP -- Security Professional topics are probably VPN and managing Pix (probably alot more)

CCVP -- Voice Professional topics include VoIP and using Ciscos VoIP systems

CCIP -- Internetwork Professional topics covered are at the Service Provider level such as BGP, Routing, MPLS and QoS.

CCDP -- Design Professional -- The way Cisco wants you to design :D
    Now working full time!
  • hackdugoodhackdugood Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Nice, thanks. Now would it be considered foolish to obtain all of these certs? Not just breezing through them or cheating, I'm talking KNOW them. Or is it better to choose a path and go?
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    hackdugood wrote:
    broad description of what each one is about, what they involve you to know, and what you should basically know after getting the cert?
    When I first started looking at finally getting some certifications, I spent a lot of time at the Cisco Career Certifications & Paths web page. Sounds like the blurbs at the top of each Certification Page and then the individual exam topics for the required exams might tell you what you want to know.

The blurb from the CCNP is :
    CCNP certification validates a network professional's ability to install, configure and troubleshoot converged local and wide area networks with 100 to 500 or more nodes. Network Professionals who achieve the CCNP have demonstrated the knowledge and skills required to manage the routers and switches that form the network core, as well as edge applications that integrate voice, wireless, and security into the network.

What you should know for the exam (and after passing on the job) would be listed in the individual exam topics. The first couple topics from the BSCI exam page look like this:
    Implement EIGRP operations.

* Explain the functions and operations of EIGRP (e.g., DUAL).
        * Configure EIGRP routing. (e.g., Stub Routing, authentication, etc.)
        * Verify or troubleshoot EIGRP routing configurations.

Implement multiarea OSPF operations.

* Explain the functions and operations of multiarea OSPF.
        * Configure multiarea OSPF routing. (e.g., Stub, NSSA, authentication, etc.)
        * Verify or troubleshoot multiarea OSPF routing configurations.

hackdugood wrote:
    Or is it better to choose a path and go?
    I'd say choose a path and go -- that's what I did. It just turns out I didn't stay on my original path.... :D Hopefully I'll make it to my original destination (the CCIE) sometime this year.

The CCNA is the usual starting point for Cisco Certifications. Once you get past that, then pick a professional level cert that makes sense for your career. The CCNP is the obvious "next step" -- but if you have opportunities in voice or security, then it may make sense to go for one of those next after the CCNA.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • peterd51peterd51 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hi,

previous posts covered what's involved...

you may find that certain exams are needed for more than one path...

So you could maybe qualify at CCNP and then only need a couple more exams to get the next qualification (CCDA maybe?).

And you may want to add the odd exam here and there from different streams without going all the way just to get some knowledge along each stream.

Once you've got one cert the rest is mix and match...you do as much as you want to.

I don't particularly like exams so I read the books and don't go any further. I'm quite happy sticking at the CCNP level.

Regards
    Peter
  • HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    peterd51 wrote:
    I don't particularly like exams so I read the books and don't go any further. I'm quite happy sticking at the CCNP level.

My opinion on the matter is that if you have done the proper readings, why not get the cert? Of course $$ is involved but generally if you work for a good employer they will pay for it. All the extra studying you do benefits your employer so it is worth it for them.
    Now working full time!
  • peterd51peterd51 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

it's a bit different in the UK...

yes, some companies will pay for training, certs, etc, as they can then tell clients that they have qualified staff and probably charge more for the services.

But generally companies are looking to recruit only fully trained and fully certified staff. They have no interest in paying anything towars training, etc, as they know that people move on to other jobs and it's then wasted money.

In my case it's simply that I'm not interested in putting myself under any pressure and I find taking exams stressfull...even when I know the topic.

I hate job interviews for the same reason so I stick where I am as long as I can...hence I have no need to certify on new subjects.

I only bother recertifying as I'll need it on my CV to get a foot in the door at my next job after being made redundant (and that can hapen to anyone at any time).

Regards
    Peter