Is CCNA Still Relevant in 2019?

jamesindcjamesindc Member Posts: 23 ■■■□□□□□□□
I passed my Cisco CCENT (first part of CCCNA) last month.  

As I study for the more difficult second exam of the CCNA certification (ICND2), I wonder whether CCNA is still relevant in 2019?

Most organizations don't even have routers on premise anymore.

Network infrastructure seems like a dying field as cloud and virtualization continue to grow.

I know I know...this topic has been discussed over and over again, but I still need to hear what you guys think..

Thanks.

Answers

• Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think it's pretty clear certs like CCNA are only the beginning of your studies now. Yes networking will change but that does not mean things will not be networked. I took my CCNA over 5 years ago and the knowledge and understanding I gained was well worth it for me.
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Networking knowledge for a sysadmin is like salt is for meat. Not strictly necessary but the meat is so much better when you add some. The same for being a sysadmin. CCNA level knowledge isn't strictly necessary but you become so much better at your job when you understand the foundational knowledge of routing, port aggregation, load balancing, etc. 
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I originally took my CCNA 5 years ago with very limited Microsoft knowledge. It was a big learning curve because every time I learned about something I had to go figure out how it was going to interact with the servers. Last year I started my Server 2016 MCSA to fill in the knowledge gap and it was well worth it. Next up is VMware.

Getting back to the original post one thing you should consider is if not CCNA then what? If there is a better answer to your goals go for it. I find the NSX interesting from VMware but I need to start with the basics so I am planning to pursue the VCP next year.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    If you will ever apply for a job in a data center, or anyplace that needs to maintain on-prem equipment, the Cisco certs will only help you get your foot in the door.
  • mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Are computers still connected to the network/internet? If yes, then CCNA still relevant.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• AvgITGeekAvgITGeek Member Posts: 342 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've worked for 3 companies and an MSP and every single company all had routers and switches in their environments. Not all were cisco but routing is routing and switching is switching.
  • chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Off course it is, is the foundation of networking which any IT professional must have.
  • TechnicalLeadTechnicalLead Member Posts: 3 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think its moving now to cyber security but ccna/networking is still needed.
    MSISA, CCIE-Wireless, CISM, CEH, CHFI, CCNA-Security,  CCNP, CCNP-Wireless, CCNA RS
    Linkedin 
    Former NOC-Ninja
  • kaijukaiju Member Posts: 453 ■■■■■■■□□□
    edited April 2019
    CyberSecurity is the glue that will hold everything together. There will always be a need for CCNA/P, MCSA/P, RHSA/E, VCP and other OS certs. Cybersecurity is meaningless without a proper OS/platform foundation.  

Network infrastructure definitely is not a dying field. Yes, cloud has grown a lot but there will always be a need for network devices.
    Work smarter NOT harder! Semper Gumby!
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    edited April 2019
    jamesindc said:

. . . Most organizations don't even have routers on premise anymore. . .

I don't agree with this. A bunch of stuff is certainly being relocated to the cloud. The problem is that cloud administrators still need routing and switching competency, because the principles are the same. CCNA brings that competency IMHO.

As far as being relevant, just get the CCNA. It's like a degree: you'll hardly think about whether or not your CCNA or your degree is relevant once you get it. You'll just be glad it's done.

A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
    how can you not have a router and switch on a network with 100 host?
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.
    Although, there's a wave of ISSO and ISSM that doesnt have any technical background but getting paid more than 100k. CCNA is good but if you want to jump to that 100k bracket then get cyber security cert.
    MSISA, CCIE-Wireless, CISM, CEH, CHFI, CCNA-Security,  CCNP, CCNP-Wireless, CCNA RS
    Linkedin 
    Former NOC-Ninja
    edited April 2019
    The best ISSO/ISSM are those who understand both the System and Network sides of the house. I have encountered too many "experts" who do not understand the "big picture" because of a lack of Systems and/or Network working knowledge. Know as much as possible so you will be prepared for anything.

Experience is what gets you the top dollar jobs not just certs.
    True but that doesn't stop the non-technical of getting paid more than 100k. ISSO/ISSM does not need to be technical when the company can hire technical people specifically to do the "technical work". You'd be surprise how many non-technical ISSO/ISSM are there running around getting paid 100k. To make more money, its not just experience. You have to jump every year to a different company to get significant increase. I've seen people make 85k in a year, then move the next year and get paid 120k, then move to 150k in a span of 3 years just by jumping around.
    Linkedin 
    Former NOC-Ninja
    ISSO/ISSM can perform their jobs better if the understand the technical aspects. Cert Warriors are a burden because too much time is wasted on explaining why their plans cannot be implemented because of technical incompatibility. I do believe "working knowledge" was the phrase that I used previously. Working knowledge of Systems/Network coupled with Cybersecurity work experience and certs is what makes a good ISSO/ISSM. Salary is a moot point when you cannot perform the job effectively.

We can discuss the importance of well background for Cybersecurity experts in a dedicated thread so let's get back to the original topic!

Cloud is the hot item right now because of its cost savings but some type of network gear (switch or router with switch ports) will be needed to connect to the cloud. CCNA is still very relevant and will be for a while. If security is more desirable then CCNA Security would be a better cert to pursue since ICND1 is a prerequisite for 210-260. If the OP gets the networking bug, ICND2 can be taken prior to the INCD1 re-certification date to complete CCNA R/S.

• chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□
    how can you not have a router and switch on a network with 100 host?
    IMO that is part of the misunderstanding of what is the cloud.
  • coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    True but that doesn't stop the non-technical of getting paid more than 100k. ISSO/ISSM does not need to be technical when the company can hire technical people specifically to do the "technical work". You'd be surprise how many non-technical ISSO/ISSM are there running around getting paid 100k. To make more money, its not just experience. You have to jump every year to a different company to get significant increase. I've seen people make 85k in a year, then move the next year and get paid 120k, then move to 150k in a span of 3 years just by jumping around.
    This seems like the only true way to obtain a significant increase as we move forward.  The annual 3-5% raise isn't moving the needle much as moving to a different company for a much higher salary.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    AvgITGeek said:
    I've worked for 3 companies and an MSP and every single company all had routers and switches in their environments. Not all were cisco but routing is routing and switching is switching.

How do these companies even get data in and out of the building without a router? Even if the entry points are managed by someone else there is a router with an ASN or subnet somewhere.

- b/eads

• MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    jamesindc said:
    Most organizations don't even have routers on premise anymore.

They don't?

Man, I've been working in some very odd places then. 🤣 🤣

jamesindc said:
    Network infrastructure seems like a dying field as cloud and virtualization continue to grow.

What do you think is in the cloud? 🤣

jamesindc said:
    I passed my Cisco CCENT (first part of CCCNA) last month.  

As I study for the more difficult second exam of the CCNA certification (ICND2), I wonder whether CCNA is still relevant in 2019?

All chuckles aside, I think this is probably the most important part of your post.

Did you take a break after studying for and passing ICND1?

You sound like you may be feeling burnt out and just grasping for a reason not to have to take ICND2.

I suggest you consider taking a small break for a while instead of entertaining thoughts like "Network Infrastructure is probably dying field anyway" and etc.