Passed Pentest +

charismaticxcharismaticx Member Posts: 160 ■■■■□□□□□□
 I just took and passed the exam. I thought it was actually harder than CASP. For anyone interested in taking this exam I would seriously review python and web attacks. I honestly hope this becomes 8570 because it definitely deserves either the analyst or incident response role.

I mainly used Jason Dion’s Udemy course and I reviewed my GCIH books for study material. Just about everything Jason covered helped out tremendously but even then I felt it wasn’t enough. I’m hoping to take the new version of Linux + sometime this year. 
Goals: PNPT; OSCP; GPYC; GSE

Comments

• Cuse0311Cuse0311 Member Posts: 53 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! 
  • Infosec_SamInfosec_Sam Admin Posts: 527 Admin
    Congratulations! You'll have to keep us posted on how the Linux+ goes!
    Community Manager at Infosec!
    Who we are | What we do
  • securitychopssecuritychops Member Posts: 52 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the pass!  :)
    Current Certs   : OSCE, OSCP, CISSP, Pentest+, Security+, SLAE, SLAE64
    Goals for 2019 : OSEE
    Goals for 2020 : OSWE
    How do you think the Pentest+ sizes up against the CEH? I'd be curious to know which one you'd recommend, if I were to only pick one. 
    Who we are | What we do
  • charismaticxcharismaticx Member Posts: 160 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would honestly rank CEH low in terms of difficulty when compared to GCIH, CySA and Pentest +. 
    I would honestly rank CEH low in terms of difficulty when compared to GCIH, CySA and Pentest +. 
    I've been hearing that from a number of different people now - that it's more of an entry-level cert compared to the others. Do you think the knowledge you gained from the CEH helped you take those more difficult exams?
    Who we are | What we do
    I actually took CEH after I took GCIH. Everything I learned from that course helped me  out considerably for CEH. The only thing I really studied was the nmap switches. Most people that sit down in a CEH course will blow off the material because it’s not what they expected. 
    Interesting! Thanks for the insight!
    Who we are | What we do
  • SpiegelSpiegel Member Posts: 322 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats!
    Degree: WGU B.S. Network Operations and Security [COMPLETE]
    Current Certs: A+ | N+ | S+ | Cloud Essentials+ | Project+ | MTA: OSF | CIW: SDA | ITIL: F | CCENT | CCNA R&S | CCNA | LPI Linux Essentials
    Currently Working On: JNCIA-MistAI

2022 Goals: JNCIA-MistAI [ ]
    Future Certs: CCNP Enterprise
  • ahardinjrahardinjr Member Posts: 37 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats and thanks for sharing regarding Jason Dion's class!
    WGU MS:IT - Network Management
    MBA - Information Assurance Mgmt
  • mizterkewlmizterkewl Member Posts: 122 ■■■■□□□□□□
      I thought it was actually harder than CASP. 
    Oh wow...what made it harder than CASP?
    CASP is very broad and relies on experience. The Pentest exam requires a more in depth knowledge on a number of attacks and how to remediate them. Web attacks for me have always been confusing. Another thing to watch out for is python. Python scripting can be confusing if you don’t have enough experience.
    Do you think Jason's Pentest+ course could be used to study for CEH?
    There’s a lot of overlap between CEH, CySA and Pentest +. However, Pentest + is much harder than CEH. CEH only attracts people because of the name value. 
    edited September 2019
    @charismaticx well i'm studying for CySA+ right now and my next class for WGU is CEH and i know Pentest+ is harder but figured if there's enough overlap it would be smart to utilize it and maybe take the test for it as well at some point. Just trying to plan accordingly lol
    Well if that’s the case get them all. 
  • CelifrogCelifrog Member Posts: 1 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on passing, hope to end up like you! :D 
    It’s easily CompTIAs hardest exam. 
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    How would you compare it to GPEN?
    GPEN is still much harder. Pentest + is great for those who want to take reasonably priced certification. If you can get your employer to pay for GPEN then do it. It lays the foundation for how to conduct a successful Pen test while staying current with the latest tools and exploits. 
  • egrizzlyegrizzly Member Posts: 533 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats on passing the Pentest+  I used all the study materials you mentioned and took it but failed it miserably.  Anyway, I deconstructed my experience and feel I have to study scripting and nmap switches harder.
    B.Sc (Info. Systems), CISSP, CCNA, CCNP, Security+
    Scripting takes a while to learn and I’m still no expert on it. I can read a script just fine, but making my own still takes some effort on my part. The nmap switches were a huge part of CEH and that’s what helped me for the exam. This exam is easily the hardest CompTIA exam they have. 
  • egrizzlyegrizzly Member Posts: 533 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Scripting takes a while to learn and I’m still no expert on it. I can read a script just fine, but making my own still takes some effort on my part. The nmap switches were a huge part of CEH and that’s what helped me for the exam. This exam is easily the hardest CompTIA exam they have. 

No kidding dude!  It put me flat on my ass!  and mind you for tough exams like the CCNA, CCNP, or CISSP I studied for those in less time than I did the Pentest+ and passed them on the first attempt.  It really needs dedication to scripting and Nmap to punch through the hard walls of the Pentest+
    B.Sc (Info. Systems), CISSP, CCNA, CCNP, Security+
    Wow that’s surprising! However, it’s hard for me to compare when I haven’t taken those exams. In the past few months, I’ve learned that you can’t really compare the exams. Each exam is it’s own different beast. If all depends on on your interpretation of the material. 
    If Jason Dion isn’t for you then I strongly recommend looking up The Cyber Mentor on Udemy. His course was incredible and it help build on some further skills when I was studying for GPEN. 
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    edited September 2020
    CompTIA's "cyber exams" (CASP+, CySA+, Pentest+) require more hands-on experience with using tools, reading logs, interpreting code, and working in an operations environment than other CompTIA exams. This makes it more likely that a candidate won't pass from simply memorizing study materials. It gives these certifications, and the certification holders, more integrity in the cyber job markets. All of us cert "old timers" just need to realize that a "+" at the end of a cert acronym no longer means "entry-level certification" anymore.

CASP, CySA, and Pentest + are what I consider the real trifecta in CompTIA. Each one requires a different degree of experience. By no means are they easy, but their not impossible. CompTIA has really stepped up their game in terms of quality exams to meet industry standards.