Options

Is It ok to Use Dated Books For The CCNA exam?

NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
Hey Guys,

I'm going after the CCNA route switch exam to build up my networking skills.  Currently, I'm looking for my next IT role.

I saw the CCENT/CCNA objectives here:

Why are some of the books you can use for the exam from 2016 and 2017?  Do I run the risk of Cisco refreshing the exam content some time this year?  I imagine if Cisco does this, then I would need to get new books, that are written based off the new objectives.

Here is one of the books I'm thinking about getting:

When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
American inventor

Comments

• Options
    kaijukaiju Member Posts: 453 ■■■■■■■□□□
    As long as the book corresponds with the exam you will be fine.

100-105 exam + 100-105 book = OK
    100-105 exam + 100-101 book = higher chance to fail CCENT if you are not 110% prepared or do not have actual Cisco networking experience .

If you pass CCENT/ICND1 (100-105) and Cisco deploys new exams for CCNA you will only have to pass the newer version of the ICND2 (200-105) exam to get your CCNA R&S certification. Of course if you are prepping for the composite 200-125 exam you will need to find the new study material prior to taking the exam.
    Work smarter NOT harder! Semper Gumby!
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    kaiju said:
    As long as the book corresponds with the exam you will be fine.

100-105 exam + 100-105 book = OK
    100-105 exam + 100-101 book = higher chance to fail CCENT if you are not 110% prepared or do not have actual Cisco networking experience .

If you pass CCENT/ICND1 (100-105) and Cisco deploys new exams for CCNA you will only have to pass the newer version of the ICND2 (200-105) exam to get your CCNA R&S certification. Of course if you are prepping for the composite 200-125 exam you will need to find the new study material prior to taking the exam.
    Thank you Kaiju, this helps a lot!
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    DFTK13DFTK13 Member Posts: 176 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I thought about this when recertifying my CCENT, using my older 100-101 book, but I don’t want to chance failing the exam, $25 for the latest edition sure beats throwing away $150 for the exam. The only older things I use are the packet tracer labs from my netacad days which wasn’t that long ago(2015). If you have experience in networking then the CCENT book by Lammle would probably work because it’s at around 600 pages as opposed to Wendell Odom’s book at 1000 pages. 

Good luck! 
    Certs: CCNA(200-301), Network+, A+, LPI Linux Essentials
    Goals: CCNP Enterprise(ENCOR + ENARSI), AWS CSA - Associate, Azure AZ-104, Become better at python, learn docker and kubernetes

Degree: A.S. Network Administration
    Pursuing: B.S. in I.T. Web and Mobile Development Concentration
  • Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The last date to take the previous exam was Aug. 20, 2016.  Cisco usually has an overlap period before the end date of an exam where you can take either version of the exam.  And, you'd be either awfully experienced or stupid to take the new version without study materials.  So, I'd guess the early part of 2016 is when companies were rushing to get the new exam study material out.  I'd also guess that the study materials from early 2016 are more rushed and those from 2017 are more thought out.  just my opinion that isn't even based on experience as I took the previous version of the exam.

Will the current exam be updated this year?

Cisco usually announces a new exam 6 months in advance.  Thereby, giving people currently studying for the exam an opportunity to complete the current exam with the current exam study materials.  As far as asking new questions about the same topics, I'd guess that cisco is always doing that just to keep the dumpers from being to familiar with the exam questions.  And, 6 months from today is pretty close to next year.

And, with the CCNP exam 5  years old.  I'd expect that exam to be refreshed/updated before the CCNA exam will be. Again, cisco doesn't include me on the memo about exam updates either.