Possible job offer advice

EntmtaEntmta Member Posts: 31 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello everyone! 

I may have a job offer coming down the pipeline that I’d like the forums advice on, I have mixed feelings on. Currently I’m in a traditional desktop support role. Have an MCSA in Windows 10. Not a lot of advancement opportunities.

The potential job doesn’t involved supporting regular PCs. Instead it would be supporting things such as smart projectors/other smart devices, digital media content, some server support as it relates to that, and some networking as well etc (most of these run off of Linux I’m told). Call center/NOC style environment. Have lots of chances to advance, and quickly. 

The question I guess I’m asking is would the new offer still be considered IT per se, or could it be seen as a step backwards? Thanks for the help!

Answers

• EntmtaEntmta Member Posts: 31 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sorry for formatting, on mobile 
  • ThePuterGeekThePuterGeek Member Posts: 31 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not knowing all of the details, I think this would be a step back for you. I would keep looking. 
    Not knowing all of the details, I think this would be a step back for you. I would keep looking. 
    Thanks for the response! To give a little better idea, I don’t get to touch servers or any networking equipment currently. I should of mentioned that. Do you still think the same way?
  • Infosec_SamInfosec_Sam Admin Posts: 527 Admin
    I would encourage you to take a look at your long-term goals, and what you think you should do to achieve them. If you're looking to move up, then clearly you've identified that you need to move out of your current place. However, I don't think this job is the right job for you to move into. The skills you'll develop at this new role won't really translate very well into a higher level position unless you get promoted at the new place. I'd also recommend that you keep looking.
    Community Manager at Infosec!
    Who we are | What we do
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sometimes the job might not be great but it's a foot-in-the-door to other opportunities at the same firm. Is that the case here? The job itself doesn't seem that attractive but if it can serve as a jumping off spot to something that fits your career goals, it's worth considering. But only if it's something that wouldn't take forever to move to the more attractive position.
    Would definitely be a foot in to other positions. To clarify there would be server support involved, dealing with RAID arrays etc, and eventually would be able to work on switches in addition to the smart devices. Possibility to move up in 6 months, or transfer to another department. Eventually possible to move into tier 3 support for their technologies as well. Most of the devices have an OS on them too.EANx said:
    Sometimes the job might not be great but it's a foot-in-the-door to other opportunities at the same firm. Is that the case here? The job itself doesn't seem that attractive but if it can serve as a jumping off spot to something that fits your career goals, it's worth considering. But only if it's something that wouldn't take forever to move to the more attractive position.

• Johnhe0414Johnhe0414 Registered Users Posts: 191 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Things i would consider:
    • Does it pay more? Is it worth leaving my current position for a small amount more setting up projectors and smart devices?
    • What does "some server support" entail? How much time is devoted to this?
    • "Have lots of chances to advance quickly" - Advance into what positions? What kind of work?

Current: Network+ | Project+ 
    Working on: PMP
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    How are the opportunities to grow and advance. Like how seriously do you imagine being able to move up and out from the hardware slinging? If this is a large enough organization with new openings and your willing to finish the MCSE AND ask to do more on the server support side (without being a jerk) then the opportunity may work well for you. Otherwise, I'd recommend finishing or expanding farther into the MCSE territory while looking for the next bigger step up. This one may be too much of a baby step.
    Thank you for the responses!

For clarification, I would not be setting up the smart devices or projectors. The support would for the OS/software side which all the devices would have, also some hardware support. The job isn’t repairing or setting them up so to speak. As far as the server support I know some of it will deal with the RAID arrays. I guess they could be considered media servers, but I don’t have that much experience in server support so I couldn’t tell you. 
  • Infosec_SamInfosec_Sam Admin Posts: 527 Admin
    Entmta said:
    Thank you for the responses!

For clarification, I would not be setting up the smart devices or projectors. The support would for the OS/software side which all the devices would have, also some hardware support. The job isn’t repairing or setting them up so to speak. As far as the server support I know some of it will deal with the RAID arrays. I guess they could be considered media servers, but I don’t have that much experience in server support so I couldn’t tell you. 
    Hmm, in that case, I think this might be a good move for you. As long as you're developing relevant skills and you can see some room for upward mobility, then this is absolutely a good choice.
    Community Manager at Infosec!
    Who we are | What we do
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Entmta said:
    Hello everyone! 

I may have a job offer coming down the pipeline that I’d like the forums advice on, I have mixed feelings on. Currently I’m in a traditional desktop support role. Have an MCSA in Windows 10. Not a lot of advancement opportunities.

The potential job doesn’t involved supporting regular PCs. Instead it would be supporting things such as smart projectors/other smart devices, digital media content, some server support as it relates to that, and some networking as well etc (most of these run off of Linux I’m told). Call center/NOC style environment. Have lots of chances to advance, and quickly. 

The question I guess I’m asking is would the new offer still be considered IT per se, or could it be seen as a step backwards? Thanks for the help!
    Have you done any interviews yet for this position?
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
    Entmta said:
    Hello everyone! 

Have you done any interviews yet for this position?
    I have had an interview yes. That’s how I know about the advancement opportunities, devices they support, etc.