New to it want to get into security started with A+

a16ixa16ix Member Posts: 3 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm new to it currently studying A+. I want to get into cyber security and the path seems a little overwhelming. I'm not sure what to study after A+ or if i should be learning how to code at the same time and if so what code? html C C+ python java etc...?

Comments

• PseudonymousPseudonymous Member Posts: 78 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Since you're new to IT I think A+ > Network+ > Security+ is a great start. It's important to get all of the fundamentals down. You might want to spend some time gaining networking experience for a while. After that you can focus getting security experience and work towards more specialized certifications for CyberSecurity like CySA+ and CCNA: CyberOps.

Without prior IT experience, it'll take a while before you get a CyberSecurity position (unless you're really lucky) so I wouldn't stress out about it.
    Certifications: A+, N+, S+, CCNA: CyberOps, eJPT, ITIL, etc.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Without prior IT experience, it'll take a while before you get a CyberSecurity position (unless you're really lucky) so I wouldn't stress out about it.
    Try and find groups to join in your area and meet people who are already in whatever specialty you would like to go into.  Get out there and create some of that luck!  (meetup.com)
  • a16ixa16ix Member Posts: 3 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the input. I do realize retaining a security position will take awhile. could i start off at a low entry level it position with only a+ and/or network+ and work my way up the corporate ladder? I know employers look for experience rather then credentials so is there any thing else i should be doing? 
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Join groups in your area, go to events in your area, network with other people, put yourself out there, create a lab at home and practice things you see job ads are asking for, maybe make a blog about things you are doing... I know if I was hiring I would want someone who actually showed interest in what they are doing beside just getting certifications.  And those are things that will set you apart from others.   You will probably need a couple certs to get past HR though (but you might not if during your networking you met the right people)
  • Infosec_SamInfosec_Sam Admin Posts: 527 Admin
    I took a pretty similar path to what @Skyliinez92 described in the comment above. I landed a help desk position after getting my A+, and used that to leverage my way into a security position with the same employer. Instead of going the cert route, I decided to go for more of a formal education and get an Associate's degree in Network Security.

For me, the process from A+ to security job took just over 3 years, but I've heard of it being done in much less time. You'll probably come to find how valuable prior IT experience is once you start searching for a security job. Definitely go for the entry level IT job while you're training for more certs!
    Community Manager at Infosec!
    Who we are | What we do
  • a16ixa16ix Member Posts: 3 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thanks. I will look for a help desk position after i pass A+. what if i applied for best buy's geek squad lol do you think ill get more experience working for them? money isn't a problem i don't mind working for minimum wage just want to get the most knowledge and experience possible.
  • Infosec_SamInfosec_Sam Admin Posts: 527 Admin
    a16ix said:
    thanks. I will look for a help desk position after i pass A+. what if i applied for best buy's geek squad lol do you think ill get more experience working for them? money isn't a problem i don't mind working for minimum wage just want to get the most knowledge and experience possible.
    I think you might be able to get in with the Geek Squad even if you were still working on your A+, so that's never a bad option to start out. However, I wouldn't consider it the best option either. Reason being, you'll be surrounded by mostly consumer electronics instead of corporate devices. Also, there's not a ton of upward mobility into a sysadmin or network/security admin role without finding another company. That being said, I'd first consider looking for a helpdesk / service desk position at an MSP, but definitely keep GS as a backup - they're much better than no experience.
    Community Manager at Infosec!
    Who we are | What we do
  • LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Getting in with Best Buy can get you some employment history (i.e. you're able to show up on time) and some measure of technical knowledge related to specific systems and software. However, be prepared to move "upward" quickly elsewhere, as the one important thing you won't learn at Best Buy is anything to do with enterprises (authentication, AD, tools, networks...). That said, you can get plenty of experience that will translate quickly over to something like a Desktop Support role of some sort.

Once you get your Security+ going, be ready to look into SOC roles in your nearby area, network with any groups around, and poke at recruiters or any roles you see advertised for desktop support or even any IT work that you think you could do and/or possibly qualify for. Even if you get passed over, you might get feedback on why you got passed over, which may help you shore up those gaps.

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?