Options

Weird question

diablo911diablo911 Member Posts: 36 ■■■□□□□□□□
Im 2 semesters away from graduating with a degree in computer networking and was wondering what types of jobs are out there that i might be able to look into that dont involve computers/networking, basically looking for a job not related to my degree.

Comments

• Options
    Johnhe0414Johnhe0414 Registered Users Posts: 191 ■■■■■□□□□□
    On the business side:
    Business Systems Analyst

Current: Network+ | Project+ 
    Working on: PMP
  • Options
    thanks for the input, ya i think im just gona finish these last two semesters and start from the ground up again, look for a trade skill, maybe an electrician or something, just sucks i spent 5 years as a full time student for a degree i wont be using.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @diablo911  It happens to a lot of us.....   
  • Options
    tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There are plenty of master's level programs that will accept you with a bachelor's degree in a different field.

• Options
    Johnhe0414Johnhe0414 Registered Users Posts: 191 ■■■■■□□□□□
    My brother got a degree in sociology and worked for the county and then state. Decided he didn't like it, and has been a teacher for the past 18 years.
    Current: Network+ | Project+ 
    Working on: PMP
  • Options
    Thats an interesting thought, except i hate school, every second im in class learning about computers im way in over my head, barley understand anything. For example, i have taken i think 3 classes in English, the other day i was tasked to write a paper for my security class and i find myself googling ( how to write a paper ) (whats mla ) (whats an annotative bibliography). University is opposite of how the army trained me. I cant remember anything i learn at a university, i would kill to be back in Iraq vs spending another second on a campus.
  • Options
    LOL Diablo.   Look at it this way, at least you know you don't like it.  That's a really important step.
  • Options
    very true. That i do know.
  • Options
    I don't care for it much either to be honest.....   
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Started off as a programmer doing RPG II. So yeah it happens. If your good with working with people any number of sales positions may put that degree to good use as well. Most sales people have no clue as to what they are talking about but with a technical degree may be a very viable career path.

As always - all the best.

- b/eads
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    edited April 2019
    Just having a degree opens the doors to many jobs that would otherwise be closed to those without a degree. If someone can get hired as a CIO with a masters degree in Music, I can't see why someone with a degree in computer networking can't be the next President of the New York Philharmonic.  Having a degree, can help land you a job in a completely unrelated field.  Now that being said, generally companies do look for people with degrees in the fields they are hiring for.  Also some jobs require specific degrees, for example if you want to be a social worker or therapist, your going to need a degree in that field. This is a state Licensing requirement, not something you can easily get around by impressing an interviewer in an interview.    
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    gona pass on the sales, im not a people person, ever sense i left the army i just keep to myself, i work part time at a job that involves customers and hate it to death, ya i dont know what it is, i just cant stand talking to people, just want to be left alone.
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Look into becoming a SoC analyst with limited human contact. Just a thought.

- b/eads
  • Options
    @diablo911 - I transitioned for a number of years to a data role, just reviewing and programming stored procedures.  Loved it, I was fairly isolated....   However, made a move to which I thought was going to be a most isolated WFH position, but the work was nothing like they mentioned.  Left me wheeling for a job to pay bills and ended back up in IT.......