Ccnp switch passed!

Chris.Mackenzie01Chris.Mackenzie01 Member Posts: 36 ■■■□□□□□□□
passed 853
needed 790

quite a few sims and simlets but I was very comfortable on all of them. I sat the official course through my employer and they barely touched on a few of the subjects I had sims on.

On to route!

Comments

• Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Nice job! Congrats
  • Mr.Robot255Mr.Robot255 Member Posts: 196 ■■■□□□□□□□
    well done congrats
  • TWXTWX Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What subjects do you feel that the official curriculum was lacking in that you were tested upon?  I've gone through the official curriculum too, and the instructor's slides with "Copyright 2014" at the bottom corner didn't exactly inspire confidence.
  • Infosec_SamInfosec_Sam Admin Posts: 527 Admin
    Congratulations on the pass! I'd also be curious to know where you thought the curriculum was lacking.
    Community Manager at Infosec!
    Who we are | What we do
  • annamaeannamae Member Posts: 23 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Awesome! Did you need another voucher for the TSHOOT or ROUTE? Had three that were bought, two were used. Have one left for the Cisco 300-xxx exam series. 
  • Chris.Mackenzie01Chris.Mackenzie01 Member Posts: 36 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I thought it was lacking on VACLs, and authentication for dot1x, the slides from the course very briefly touch on both.
    at the same time, the course does some labs which I think are pointless at CCNP level, such as using CDP to find router names and then changing its host names. Killed an hour on that - something you learn in ccna - an hour that could of been spent on the above bits.
  • Chris.Mackenzie01Chris.Mackenzie01 Member Posts: 36 ■■■□□□□□□□
    annamae said:
    Awesome! Did you need another voucher for the TSHOOT or ROUTE? Had three that were bought, two were used. Have one left for the Cisco 300-xxx exam series. 
    Sorry, don’t need the vouchers - provided by work for the other exams
    I thought it was lacking on VACLs, and authentication for dot1x, the slides from the course very briefly touch on both.
    at the same time, the course does some labs which I think are pointless at CCNP level, such as using CDP to find router names and then changing its host names. Killed an hour on that - something you learn in ccna - an hour that could of been spent on the above bits.

Yeah.  That bothers me a lot.  Work's accrued Cisco credits paid for both SWITCH and ROUTE week long classes but it felt like we lost about a day and a half on stuff that was in the CCNA curriculum.

I don't remember dot1x being in the classes at all.  It's also not listed on the official cisco PDF outlining topics.

I've got about three months until my CCNA three years is up.  I'm hoping to have SWITCH passed by then, and then move on to ROUTE.
  • clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    TWX said:

I don't remember dot1x being in the classes at all.  It's also not listed on the official cisco PDF outlining topics.

Well, there is the topic of describing device security using TACACS+ and RADIUS.  and you configure RADIUS to use EAP using dot1x subcommands.  There is only a few commands you need to know to do that.

But, It does reflect on the vagueness of the topics and how wide and deep do you need to know them.  I'm studying for the SWITCH exam also.  I started out thinking this exam was just an incremental increase from the CCNA.  But, I've found out there is a lot more information on this exam.  Knowing the information isn't hard.  Remembering all that information well enough for the  timed exam your taking next month is very hard (at least for me).  You need lab quite a bit to ingrain all that information into your memory.

Good luck with your exam.
    clarson said:
    TWX said:

Well, there is the topic of describing device security using TACACS+ and RADIUS.  and you configure RADIUS to use EAP using dot1x subcommands.  There is only a few commands you need to know to do that.

But, It does reflect on the vagueness of the topics and how wide and deep do you need to know them.
    Heh. Glad to find this out before sitting in front of an exam. I was under the impression that as a topic it referred to switch management and setting up AAA for console vty authentication, not for device switchport access to the data plane.  A friend of mine is going the community-college route for his certs, they require students to go through CCNA Security before they go through R&S. I can see why now.