Options

Dont get hung up on the names, look at the job description requirements

diablo911diablo911 Member Posts: 36 ■■■□□□□□□□
Quick question, so i search for computer networking related jobs and i come across these senior network engineer / admin / systems admin positions. The list is very extensive with so many things i know little about. I seem to have trouble finding any entry level type openings, maybe there just isnt a need for any entry level positions in my home town. The only thing i found would be geek squad which means i would work less hours with less pay than what im doing now. Any suggestions. I would mainly be looking for anything to do with cisco, but this degree is broad and goes over allot, from c++ to windows/linux server to sql, python, their is allot. My main issue is that their is to much material for me to remember, i never have a chance to truly understand what it is that im doing so if an employer were to ask to write a web page, i would tell him im sorry i dont know how to do that, i took html 3 years ago for 1 semester and havnt touched it sense. Iv concluded that out of all the material i have done, that cisco CCNA is the best shot i have for gainful employment. I took the classes when i first started and was lost, so now im starting from ground up, just about at the halfway point retraining. Any suggestions on how to find an entry level position with this degree, but only providing CCNA material on a resume and disregarding the rest, i just hate the fact of putting stuff down on a resume if i really dont know anything about it.

Comments

• Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I notice the same thing. If I look up junior system admin I find adds that want 5 years experience! I am getting ready to start apply for jobs as part of a career change and I expect it will be a numbers game.

1 - Apply for a 1000 jobs.
    2 - Maybe land a few interviews.
    3 - Land my first opportunity.
    4 - Take advantage of it!
  • Options
    Infosec_SamInfosec_Sam Admin Posts: 527 Admin
    I agree - I don't like listing things on my resume that I'm not very knowledgeable about. If you don't have a ton of IT experience, you can list the work experience you do have. Entry-level positions are not going to be looking for MIT grads - they want guys who are familiar with technology any processes and show a willingness to solve problems and learn. If you're looking for jobs to apply to, I'd recommend you throw your hat in the ring if you meet at least 50% of their requirements. The reason they'll list so many competencies is because they treat it like a wish list - they don't expect to get someone with every qualification! @Jon_Cisco is right here, it never hurts to apply for jobs you feel underqualified for. Chances are, the job would be going to someone with similar qualifications anyway!
    Community Manager at Infosec!
    Who we are | What we do
  • Options
    Johnhe0414Johnhe0414 Registered Users Posts: 191 ■■■■■□□□□□
    This is also a good time to improve your interview skills. After each interview I:
    • Write down the questions i was asked, and evaluate my answers
    • Could i have elaborated/provide more details
    • Did i stray from the main point?
    • Ask myself "What do i need to improve on"?
    I wish you luck!
    Current: Network+ | Project+ 
    Working on: PMP