How long does it take to study for MCSA Server 2016?

dandadynamitedandadynamite Member Posts: 51 ■■■□□□□□□□
I want to spend a month to a month in a half studying for each MCSA Server 2016 exam before I take each exams? Is that realistically enough time to take them and pass or do I need more time?

Comments

• malachi1612malachi1612 Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Depends on your experience. Took me 8 months to pass 70-740 and 70-741. Nearly done with 70-742.
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

• Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I was very weak on all things windows when I started earlier this year. I spent about a month studying for the MTA 98-365. After that I spent about 3 months on 70-740.

Most of it will depend on how much you already know and how fast you can read the book. I personally had to do a lot of labs and read two books since I did not have any prior experience to work with. I tried to spend two hours a day studying.
  • kasgaromeokasgaromeo Member Posts: 24 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've put about 3 hours on weekdays and 8 hours on the weekends for studying 70-740 and 70-741.

I passed each exam at the first time. 70-740 was taken two weeks and 70-741 was taken three weeks.

I've used the Army's Skillport videos and Microsoft Reference books. Also, I recommend that you put your time on the labbing because its contents are based on how you configure for specific topics.

By the way, 70-742 is not familiar to me, so I will put more time into it to take that exam.

I think it really depends on your knowledge of the computer/network skills.

In addition, I have OSCE. So, the exam contents are not actually new to me.. because I've been making the several types of servers to mock penetration testing machines.
  • kaijukaiju Member Posts: 453 ■■■■■■■□□□
    It really depends on a person's experience. How comfortable are you with 2012R2? How long does it take for you to retain information that has been studied?

My suggestion: Acquire the exam refs and build a 2016 test server VM.
    Work smarter NOT harder! Semper Gumby!
  • dandadynamitedandadynamite Member Posts: 51 ■■■□□□□□□□
    kaiju wrote: »
    It really depends on a person's experience. How comfortable are you with 2012R2? How long does it take for you to retain information that has been studied?

My suggestion: Acquire the exam refs and build a 2016 test server VM.

Where would I get the exam refs?
  • backtrackerbacktracker Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Where would I get the exam refs?

Amazon or insert your favorite retailer here _______. Amazon at one time had the "bundle" of 740,741,742 books together at a slight discount.
    MSM-ISS (Information System Security)-'07 Colorado Tech.
    MCSE | MCSA X3 | Security + | Network +
  • biggenebiggene Member Posts: 153 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I cannot speak to where to get the exam ref's, I would assume they are available on Microsoft's TechNet website, but here is a step-by-step walk-through on how to build a Windows 2016 home lab. I am beginning the process of studying for my 2016 MCSA myself, and I got this from another thread last week.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/36438.windows-server-2016-build-a-windows-domain-lab-at-home-for-free.aspx
    Oh ok, I already have the Sybex one and have started studying for my 70-740

I thought the Exam ref was something like a study guide from Microsoft to tell me the study topics lol

You went with the better option. The Sybex books are the best books for these.
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

• KalissieKalissie Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I did it in 3 weeks. I started with cbt nuggets which i highly recommend using. They are comprehensive and up to date with material. found a good deal (https://drive-ebay.onlineweb.shop/CBT_Videos/cat5793554_4310515.aspx). I used official cert guide as my main source and navigator. studied 2-3 hours a day. Not to mention it has been a quite hard with my two kinds. But managed to pass the exam with 810 with in a month.
    It is not hard if you have practical skills and commitment towards studying.
  • november24november24 Member Posts: 76 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Kalissie said:
    I did it in 3 weeks. I started with cbt nuggets which i highly recommend using. They are comprehensive and up to date with material. found a good deal (https://drive-ebay.onlineweb.shop/CBT_Videos/cat5793554_4310515.aspx). I used official cert guide as my main source and navigator. studied 2-3 hours a day. Not to mention it has been a quite hard with my two kinds. But managed to pass the exam with 810 with in a month.
    It is not hard if you have practical skills and commitment towards studying.
    I must have something wrong with my brain, I've been studying for 70-740 since last July 2018, and I keep forgetting what I've studied so far, for example, I study the High availability, once I finish it, I forget some details in Hyper-v for example, I start again to study the Hyper-v chapter, I found my self forget what I studied in the storage chapter.. and so on.
    I must have something wrong with my brain,...
    Everyone learns differently but their are many methods. Try searching for study habits on youtube. It will be years before you run out of videos to watch.

My best advice is schedule the test and study as hard as you can till you take it. Even if you fail you will have gained a good amount of experience. I know several people that have started to study for the CCNA year after year and they have never even attempted it to know if they are close.
    Jon_Cisco said:
    I must have something wrong with my brain,...
    Everyone learns differently but their are many methods. Try searching for study habits on youtube. It will be years before you run out of videos to watch.

My best advice is schedule the test and study as hard as you can till you take it. Even if you fail you will have gained a good amount of experience. I know several people that have started to study for the CCNA year after year and they have never even attempted it to know if they are close.
    1st thanks for the advise, once I return home, I will try to search for the videos that you advised, 2nd, the problem with this exam is that I have no problem understanding the concepts since I have more than 20 years of IT experience, but I have serious issues remembering things especially if you realized that the information in the 70-740 exam doesn't have a logical way to memorize them, for example: there is no logical thing governorate when to use Gen 2 or Gen 1 VM's, or which feature is applied to Windows Server 2016 and Windows Server 2012 R2 but not Windows Server 2012 !! you have to memorize them.
  • AvgITGeekAvgITGeek Member Posts: 342 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited April 2019
    @november24 Are you labbing at all or getting hands on experience? If not, you need to be. It will vastly help. It sounds like you are a hands on learner. I am too.
    AvgITGeek said:
    @november24 Are you labbing at all or getting hands on experience? If not, you need to be. It will vastly help. It sounds like you are a hands on learner. I am too.
    Yes, I have a home lab. but I am telling you, these exams depend heavily on memorizing not on understanding the theory. 
    Things that come to mind when someone is not retaining material.
    How often do you study?
    Are you focused?
    What do you study?
    Why do you study?

The thing is memorization is an excuse not a technique. If the goal is to pass the test only you can push you past your own limitations and do the work.

For me:
    I study about 1hr a day. I have longer sessions whenever I am so inspired especially labbing.
    When I am studying I have limited distractions. No TV and often no music except when labbing.
    For 70-740 I read two books and watch CBT Nuggets.
    I am studying to pass the test. I am taking the test to expand my IT skills. I personally want this.

I believe you can do this but I sense the same hesitation I have seen in many other people. Don't let the exam get in your head. If you fail you get to try again. If you never take it you will never pass it.

Jon_Cisco said:
    How often do you study?
    Are you focused?
    What do you study?
    Why do you study?

The thing is memorization is an excuse not a technique. If the goal is to pass the test only you can push you past your own limitations and do the work.

For me:
    I study about 1hr a day. I have longer sessions whenever I am so inspired especially labbing.
    When I am studying I have limited distractions. No TV and often no music except when labbing.
    I am studying to pass the test. I am taking the test to expand my IT skills. I personally want this.

I believe you can do this but I sense the same hesitation I have seen in many other people. Don't let the exam get in your head. If you fail you get to try again. If you never take it you will never pass it.

Hi Jon and thanks for your comments, below are some answers to your questions:

How often do you study? I study on a daily bases for more than 2 hours a day.
    Are you focused? I am trying my best.
    What do you study? I studied the Exam Ref. book, Technet articles, googling any concept that I am not sure about, I have a CBT Nuggets subscription, I subscribed for one month in ITDVDS.com, Youtube, Kaplan (as part of the CBT Nuggets subscription).
    Why do you study? because I am gaining zero knowledge from my current role and I am trying to do something useful and could help me get another job (why I am in a place where I am gaining no on job knowledge because I have only 3 years in the US and I have a family to take care and I am almost 43 and I think I don't have so much to risk).
    Note: please accept my apology for my bad English because English is not my 1st language.
    It sounds to me like you have a good system in place and you will pass soon enough. Can you perhaps get study material in your native language. It probably won't help during the test but it might help with the memorization. I know the tests are expensive but I would suggest buying a voucher that allows 2 tries and just go book the first test for a month from now. Don't let doubt prevent your success.

Good Luck!
  • nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Jon_Cisco said:
    How often do you study?
    Are you focused?
    What do you study?
    Why do you study?

For me:

Amazing, this post encourages me to study even more!
    Thanks!
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
    After some on and off studying, and a whole lot of slacking and putting off the exam due to uncertainty, Ive finally registered for my exam this Friday 
    Jon_Cisco said:
    It sounds to me like you have a good system in place and you will pass soon enough. Can you perhaps get study material in your native language. It probably won't help during the test but it might help with the memorization. I know the tests are expensive but I would suggest buying a voucher that allows 2 tries and just go book the first test for a month from now. Don't let doubt prevent your success.

Good Luck!
    I just wanted to let you know that about less than an hour ago, i passed the 70-740 exam .Thank you for your words 
  • AvgITGeekAvgITGeek Member Posts: 342 ■■■■□□□□□□
    november24 said:I just wanted to let you know that about less than an hour ago, i passed the 70-740 exam .Thank you for your words 
    Dang, You need to create your own I Passed thread! Post your experiences for others to see!
    Jon_Cisco said:

Good Luck!
    I just wanted to let you know that about less than an hour ago, i passed the 70-740 exam .Thank you for your words 
    Congrats!
    Certifications: