CEH = Cybersecurity?

mizterkewlmizterkewl Member Posts: 122 ■■■■□□□□□□
I will be taking the CEH exam some time in May. I was wondering would the exam give you some type of foundation for passing Cybersecurity or Vulnerability Analyst Interview?

Comments

• Infosec_SamInfosec_Sam Admin Posts: 527 Admin
    The CEH would probably be more targeted towards a Vulnerability Analyst role, since it's more of a 'red team' cert. That being said, a Cybersecurity role would not be entirely out of the question with a cert like that. There are some companies that would value a 'red team' background in a 'blue team' position. What kind of role would you be more interested in? Maybe I could give you some more targeted advice if you were considering one path over the other.
    Community Manager at Infosec!
    Who we are | What we do
  • mizterkewlmizterkewl Member Posts: 122 ■■■■□□□□□□

In a couple of months I am able to apply to a new position at my company. Seems there are two positions that might work out...

Vulnerability Analyst - seems to scan vulnerable systems on the network and report them.

Cyber Analyst- seems to use defense tools to analyze the things and fix any issues.

I like to problem solve and fix issues so I think I would be more interested in the Cyber Analyst position more. I am taking CEH as a part of my Masters program. If you know of tools or information that I should focus on for either position it would be helpful.

• McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    edited April 2019

In a couple of months I am able to apply to a new position at my company. Seems there are two positions that might work out...

Vulnerability Analyst - seems to scan vulnerable systems on the network and report them.

Cyber Analyst- seems to use defense tools to analyze the things and fix any issues.

I like to problem solve and fix issues so I think I would be more interested in the Cyber Analyst position more. I am taking CEH as a part of my Masters program. If you know of tools or information that I should focus on for either position it would be helpful.

From what you've said here, both positions essentially sound like the exact same job. The CEH could give you a decent base of beginner knowledge to start building upon depending on what materials you use and how you study. The exam itself though is a joke and a stain upon the underwear of the entire infosec community. The CYSA+ from CompTIA is a much better option for the two roles you listed above.
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • Infosec_SamInfosec_Sam Admin Posts: 527 Admin
    McxRisley said:

From what you've said here, both positions essentially sound like the exact same job. The CEH could give you a decent base of beginner knowledge to start building upon depending on what materials you use and how you study. The exam itself though is a joke and a stain upon the underwear of the entire infosec community. The CYSA+ from CompTIA is a much better option for the two roles you listed above.
    While I may not have used the same language, I've heard a similar opinion from a number of security professionals. The CySA+ is a great choice, primarily because it has no pre-requisites and it would be very good preparation for either role.

@mizterkewl - If you are looking for resources, you could check out our Infosec Flex boot camps! Your employer might even be willing to foot the bill for one of those if you pitch it as an investment in the company.
    Community Manager at Infosec!
    Who we are | What we do