Does anyone actually fail the IAPP Exams? IE CIPP CIPT CIPM?

2»

Comments

• NYC_dataNYC_data Registered Users Posts: 1 ■■□□□□□□□□
    edited June 2019
    Recently finished and passed CIPT exam, and it was much harder than the practice test or study materials would indicate. About one quarter of the material was not in any of the books (at least that I could find), and there was a disturbing amount of "Trivial Pursuits" sort of questions that would have zero impact on the daily life of a privacy practitioner. Lots of tiny details about this law or that protocol. Plus, being someone who's been around the tech block a few times, I found a number of questions and answers to be poorly worded and perhaps even wrong (meaning there was more than one legitimate right answer). But since I passed, appealing doesn't make any sense. Maybe I'll give my feedback to the IAPP.

Don't want to give any details away, lest I violate the agreement, but do study up on things that have happened in recent years that wouldn't be covered by the books (events, laws, new tech). The IAPP really should release an addendum to the study materials at least scoping out these additions broadly.
  • senwarsenwar Member Posts: 19 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've failed CIPT today. Scored 286/500 with the following:

I. Understanding the need for privacy in the IT environment - 100%
    II. Core Privacy Concepts - 75%
    III. Privacy Considerations in the Information Life Cycle - 68%
    IV. Privacy in Systems and Applications - 53%
    V. Privacy Techniques - 83%
    VI. Online Privacy Issues - 63%
    VII. Technologies with Privacy Considerations - 62%

Obviously my Achilles heel was IV. Worst thing is that of the answers I changed in my final review, 3 were right and I changed to wrong (read after). That may have been the difference.

I found the exam very very hard. Ambiguous questions, one question I have no idea if I got it right as I even read the book after on that and still don't know. One question was about a specific US case that is not in any book or collateral I have and was not a generic question - it was basically asking why it had happened - so I feel you needed to know the case history

Have to say I'm not a fan of how IAPP exams are written.

I attended the course and read both books plus the Blueprint and BoK. There were definitely questions in the exam I had not come across before.
  • senwarsenwar Member Posts: 19 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Had some good feedback from the IAPP.

2 questions short of passing.

Gutted. 'Could' be the ones I changed although no guarantee they were marked ones - but still..
  • rihangrihang Registered Users Posts: 10 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I took the CIPP/E beta test in April 2018 and failed with a score of 295/500 - the email mentioned 300 is required to pass, so I reckon I missed out by a question or two. There's no feedback forthcoming on the break-up of the score from the IAPP, despite requesting them for it.
  • CampbellCampbell Registered Users Posts: 9 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi all,

I passed the CIPP/E exam in augustus. Actually it is not that easy. As a former lawyer I think I may say so (CIPP/E is about legislation). What was difficult were the scenarios. A lot of information that makes you think of different subjects, only a part of which is reflected in the actual questions. Perhaps it is wise to first read the question and then the scenario. Difficult were also the questions that asked for the best or least bad option. I think there was enough time to answer the questions. Some questions that did not return in the text of the book, but which could be done with logical reasoning.

I want to share some study material that helped me:
    Chapter 2
    Chapter 8
    Chapter 12

Good luck!
  • RecheReche Member Posts: 2 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Could i have more free material from you please?
  • WalpWalp Member Posts: 4 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Easily passed the CIPP/US on the first go round using a first edition Foundations for Info Privacy, an Amazon Kindle CIPP/US study book, and bought the IAPP questions the morning of the exam. Went through the study book and exam questions twice. Googled recent updates listed on the IAPP study guide which was mostly a waste (still had a question referencing safe harbor FFS). Studied predominately in my free time for right about one month (maybe 5-7 hours per week at max but I did have some law school and private practice in privacy but not much), except for the last few days, which were a lot more study. I made zero notes, study guides, or anything else. Far easier than any LSAT/law school class/bar exam. 
  • butlertranbutlertran Member Posts: 4 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I failed the CIPP/E yesterday  :(

I was/am pretty upset about it. I think I'm going to study for the CIPM now and try to get that out of the way before I go back to CIPP/E. 
    What'd you study and for how long?
  • butlertranbutlertran Member Posts: 4 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I took the online course that IAPP provides and read other supporting material i found online. I know I could have studied more but a lot going on so it was hard to get time away. At any rate, it seemed like a lot that of the questions were not addressed well in the course. 
  • corrycorinacorrycorina Member Posts: 2 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Walp said:
    Easily passed the CIPP/US on the first go round using a first edition Foundations for Info Privacy, an Amazon Kindle CIPP/US study book, and bought the IAPP questions the morning of the exam. Went through the study book and exam questions twice. Googled recent updates listed on the IAPP study guide which was mostly a waste (still had a question referencing safe harbor FFS). Studied predominately in my free time for right about one month (maybe 5-7 hours per week at max but I did have some law school and private practice in privacy but not much), except for the last few days, which were a lot more study. I made zero notes, study guides, or anything else. Far easier than any LSAT/law school class/bar exam. 
    Do you mind to share the link of the book and where you get the IAPP questions?
  • corrycorinacorrycorina Member Posts: 2 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am doing some research as to whether If I should take the CIPP/US. Is there any other way to get the study materials other than signing up for their course?
  • jackaroojackaroo Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi all,

I passed the CIPT earlier this year and I'm now going for my CIPP/E.  For the CIPP/E, do I need to memorize what each article applies to or is it enough to know the general details?   For example, will I be asked which article applies to data breach reporting or is it enough to know that a breach needs to be reported within 72 hours of becoming aware of it? 

Thx 
    Walp said:

Walp said:
    IAPP's questions are on their website for like $25. I can't post URLs (?) so I can't send you directly there. I used Complete Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US) Study Guide from Amazon on Kindle for $20 which had a bunch of study questions and Foundations of Information Privacy and Data Protection A Survey of Global Concepts, Laws and Practices. IAPP has a study guide with major test topics which included some more recent legislation that I skimmed through.
    jackaroo said:
    Hi all,

I passed the CIPT earlier this year and I'm now going for my CIPP/E.  For the CIPP/E, do I need to memorize what each article applies to or is it enough to know the general details?   For example, will I be asked which article applies to data breach reporting or is it enough to know that a breach needs to be reported within 72 hours of becoming aware of it? 

Thx 
    There *might* have been a single question that referenced the article number. I can't recall if it was in my study materials or on the test. They tested primarily the substantive rules. I felt it was a lot more like a standard law school exam with lots of questions on legal application while the CIPP/US was more like a college memorization test.
  • japatrick1818japatrick1818 Member Posts: 3 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The CIPP/US exam seems like it was formulated by a person who is either lazy or not too bright. Some of the questions seem bizarrely intended to trick the test taker and a few have two correct answers. I knew all of the material very well and barely passed. The problem is that there is no way to challenge the questions. IAPP seems like a racket to me and I'm sure they make a ton on people retaking the exam.