Foldable phones - what's your take?

2»

Comments

• thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would rather spend the money on an ipad, surface, laptop with a screen that folds flat, supermicro server.  Other than the novelty of having a foldable phone, I’m not seeing the benefit.
  • clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @Skyliinez92 You shouldn't call other people sheep, this is not nice.

I still use a Galaxy Note 5 from 2015 with a broken Audio port and broken selfie cam because I dislike the curved screen on the new Note phones, I am hoping that the new Note 10 will have a flat screen and no holes or notches.

However I think that the fold-able phone is interesting, I might buy one if the prices go down to around 1000$.

I remember when I moved from the blackberry 9800 to the Galaxy Note 2 in 2012 people (especially iphone people) started making jokes about how big my phone was and comparing it to a brick or a box of tissues, calling it too big and useless, look at them now, they want bigger iphones!.

Also once you get used to a bigger screen it would be really difficult to go back to a smaller one, reading on a bigger screen is easier than reading on a smaller one.

In the picture other "fold-able" phones that I had.

Sony Ericson P990 (2007)
    Nokia N97 (2009)
    Blackberry 9800 (2011)
    Galaxy Note 2 (2012)
    Galaxy Note 5 (2015)
  • Infosec_SamInfosec_Sam Admin Posts: 527 Admin
    edited April 2019
    wd40 said:

However I think that the fold-able phone is interesting, I might buy one if the prices go down to around 1000$.

*Puts on tin-foil hat
    Wait just a minute.. Maybe this whole folding phone thing is to get us to rationalize a $1000 price tag on phones! Remember just 1.5 years ago when we thought $999 for the iPhone X was astronomical?
    Community Manager at Infosec!
    Who we are | What we do
  • Chrisbari14Chrisbari14 Member Posts: 84 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't think fold-able phones will pave the future but I do think it'll be good for mobile gaming such as Pubg, Fortnite and etc.
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    wd40 said:

*Puts on tin-foil hat
    Wait just a minute.. Maybe this whole folding phone thing is to get us to rationalize a $1000 price tag on phones! Remember just 1.5 years ago when we thought $999 for the iPhone X was astronomical?
    It is not the same, Iphone X is just an over priced phone, this one is a fold-able device with 2 screens.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Folding phone technology is a (possible) solution to the problem of not being able to easily carry a large "phablet" phone or a tablet in our pocket. Although I have no idea if this technology will overcome its present durability problems, I do applaud Samsung (and others) for spending the money to research a solution to a legitimate technology problem rather than just creating a "marketing gimmick" that's looking for a problem to solve.
  • MarinadMarinad Member Posts: 11 ■■□□□□□□□□
    so active topic! i like it) 
  • JimssinJimssin Member Posts: 3 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Some functions are really not perfect.
  • Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    We are marketed to so cleverly that it makes me wonder if I ever had a need for a lot of this stuff in the first place. 
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Fulcrum45 said:
    We are marketed to so cleverly that it makes me wonder if I ever had a need for a lot of this stuff in the first place. 
    This ^  Recommend people reading Digital Minimalism.  Talks alot about removing things from our life that don't truly add positive value to it. 
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My first cell phone was a Motorola flip phone. Was cool because it was like a Star Trek communicator. I'm sure we'll have telecommunications implants one day.

Honestly, I wouldn't spend too much on something that can be lost or stolen in an instant. And I certainly don't connect everything to my phone.
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Rollable phones are where it’s at now...lol
  • kaijukaiju Member Posts: 453 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Looks like both the Samsung Fold and Huawei Mate X will hit the market in September. A price drop would give people more incentive to purchase the Fold. I do not see it selling well since the Note 10 will be released next month.

Work smarter NOT harder! Semper Gumby!
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My Samsung Galaxy S4 that I bought new in 2013 is still doing fine. Only thing I've ever had to do is replace the battery, but only once. My S4 has been running practically nonstop, lo these many years. I almost never shut it down. I'm in it for the duration!
  • Johnhe0414Johnhe0414 Registered Users Posts: 191 ■■■■■□□□□□
    tedjames said:
    My Samsung Galaxy S4 that I bought new in 2013 is still doing fine. Only thing I've ever had to do is replace the battery, but only once. My S4 has been running practically nonstop, lo these many years. I almost never shut it down. I'm in it for the duration!
    My iPhone 6 that i got in 2015 - the year after its introduction is still doing what i need it to do.
    Current: Network+ | Project+ 
    Working on: PMP
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    tedjames said:
    My iPhone 6 that i got in 2015 - the year after its introduction is still doing what i need it to do.
    I could drive a 1990 Toyota Camry around too.  But I don't
  • Johnhe0414Johnhe0414 Registered Users Posts: 191 ■■■■■□□□□□
    tedjames said:
    I could drive a 1990 Toyota Camry around too.  But I don't
    Currently have a 2007 Toyota Camry ....
    Current: Network+ | Project+ 
    Working on: PMP
  • kaijukaiju Member Posts: 453 ■■■■■■■□□□
    My S7 died today. I guess my kids dropped it too many times. Tomorrow I will pay the $50 insurance deductible (NTT Docomo) to get it replaced. I am pretty sure Docomo will upgrade me to an S8 since the S7 is considered to old..... lol. I wanted to get a Note 10+ next month but I guess I will just stick with my new replacement phone for a while.

The Samsung Fold was never an option for me. Too much money money for a niche item.

Work smarter NOT harder! Semper Gumby!