Did I take the buy the wrong exam?

KineITKineIT Member Posts: 2 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys I am new to the forum and the world of CompTIA in general.
I purchased the A+ 901 and 902 vouchers just before the start of the year but then 2nd semester of school go to me hard (in an unrelated program/field of study to IT) and I was not able to allocate time to study for the exam. I am looking to write the 901 next week and I noticed on the CompTIA website there is now, as of January, a new 1001/1002 exam. I don't think I noticed that when I was purchasing my exam vouchers, should I have instead bought that exam? Is the difference between 901/902 & 1001/1002 significant enough that most entry level employers would ask me to get the later certification? From what I understand the newer "core" exams are primarily restructuring of certain sections of the 901/902 exams with added emphasis on virtualization and cloud computing.

Thanks to anyone who takes a look at this

Comments

• DAVID QDAVID Q Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
    edited April 2019
    As far as overlap The 1000 series is 80% based on the 900 series with only a 20% difference, but it may still be in your best interest to stick with the 901 and 902 exams because of the availiability of the study materials.  Also you have lots of time to study between now and up until July 31 when the 901 and 902 exams will expire.  As of April 2019,  all the IT Tech Authors are just starting to come out with material based on the new Comptia Exams update for 1001 and 1002..  Earlier in the year their was no new material based on the 1001 or 1002.     I suggest you join Professer Messers study group he goes deep into this subject 900 series vs 1000 series.

Professer Messer's 220-1001 A+ Study Group - April 2019

h

How to Pass your 220-1001 and 220-1002 CompTIA A+ Exams

• KineITKineIT Member Posts: 2 ■■□□□□□□□□
    DAVID Q said:
    As far as overlap The 1000 series is 80% based on the 900 series with only a 20% difference, but it may still be in your best interest to stick with the 901 and 902 exams because of the availiability of the study materials.  Also you have lots of time to study between now and up until July 31 when the 901 and 902 exams will expire.  As of April 2019,  all the IT Tech Authors are just starting to come out with material based on the new Comptia Exams update for 1001 and 1002..  Earlier in the year their was no new material based on the 1001 or 1002.     I suggest you join Professer Messers study group he goes deep into this subject 900 series vs 1000 series.

Thanks for the reply! Once the 901/902 exams expire will their credentials still be considered valid by most people do you think? I don't think employers would switch over so quick but the uncertainty has me a bit worried lol. I will check out your links, Messer is a pretty popular guy huh
  • MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You'll be ok as long as you can take both exams by July 31 (double check me on the date - it's been a while).

No other worries aside of this as you're right that employers don't "switch over so quick".

Some of us even have lifetime A+ back from a thousand years ago, and it isn't usually a problem.

Generally it's just the fact that you studied for and tested out of the material. Going back a few years isn't a problem to most employers.

Also, welcome to the forum!