Failed 70-740, 547

dandadynamitedandadynamite Member Posts: 51 ■■■□□□□□□□
edited April 2019 in MCSA 2016 / MCSE 2016
Exam was 64 questions, felt like I knew at least 60% of the material, took me all of my time to do the exam, had been studying on and off for like 10 months and I felt good going into the exam

Microsoft exams has never been my forte tbh, Ive failed the only other Microsoft exam Ive took and just dont know where to go from here

A 547 seems so far off of 700, and I want to study for other exams, so I dont wanna invest too much more time into an certification that has 3 parts if I cant get through the 1st part

Also wanna try to start studying for my CISSP and was going to if I passed 2 parts of my MCSA Server 2016

Now I just may study my CISSP and come back to MSCA

Comments

• kaijukaiju Member Posts: 453 ■■■■■■■□□□
    How much Server 2008R2/12R2 experience do you have? Did you download the Server 2016 ISO so you could familiarize yourself? What did you use to study?
    Work smarter NOT harder! Semper Gumby!
  • mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    kaiju said:
    How much Server 2008R2/12R2 experience do you have? Did you download the Server 2016 ISO so you could familiarize yourself? What did you use to study?
    To add to that, 10 months sounds like an excessive time to spend just on one exam. 1-2mo of focused study time + labbing would be a better option IMO. 
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• dandadynamitedandadynamite Member Posts: 51 ■■■□□□□□□□
    No experience with Server 2008 or 12

I studied with the Sybex MCSA Server 2016 book and some Skillport videos and practice exams

And no I did not download the Server 2016 ISO
    mikey88 said:
    kaiju said:
    To add to that, 10 months sounds like an excessive time to spend just on one exam. 1-2mo of focused study time + labbing would be a better option IMO. 
    It was on and off training, I wasnt throughly focused on that exam until about March tbh, even though I started studying around August, I stopped from around Oct- Decbecause I was in school, and had to refamailarize in February
    edited April 2019
    Since you have no relevant experience with current Windows Server you definitely need to do some labbing. This is the best way for you to get familiar with the inner workings of the OS. 10 months for just 70-740 means you didn't retain much of the info. Get a REAL exam sim that will allow you to gauge your information knowledge base/retention level (Boson or similar would be best). Study - test out - review - study - test out - review until you are well above the 80% range.

Studying just to pass is the same as studying to fail!!!

Why are you pursuing MCSA/SE? Do you plan to be a Sys Admin?

Do you meet the requirements for CISSP?

kaiju said:
    Since you have no relevant experience with current Windows Server you definitely need to do some labbing. This is the best way for you to get familiar with the inner workings of the OS. 10 months for just 70-740 means you didn't retain much of the info. Get a REAL exam sim that will allow you to gauge your information knowledge base/retention level (Boson or similar would be best). Study - test out - review - study - test out - review until you are well above the 80% range.

Studying just to pass is the same as studying to fail!!!

Why are you pursuing MCSA/SE? Do you plan to be a Sys Admin?

Do you meet the requirements for CISSP?

Pursuing it just to add to my list of skills, to be more marketable

I dont know the requirements for CISSP, but I have CASP and Sec+ already, and they need to be renewed next year, so I may do that instead 
    You need to go to ISC2 and read about the requirements before setting your sites on CISSP. If you are having issues retaining the info for 70-740, CISSP is going to blow your mind.

"Obtaining" certs without the experience to back it up on your resume is the same as not having the cert.
  • PseudonymPseudonym Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No experience with Server 2008 or 12

I studied with the Sybex MCSA Server 2016 book and some Skillport videos and practice exams

And no I did not download the Server 2016 ISO
    So you're trying to do an examination based on a technology without actually touching the technology you're being examined on? Can you see the problem with your logic here?
    Certifications - A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, ITIL v3, MCITP:EDST/EDA, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I, RHCSA
    Working on - RHCE
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    kaiju said:
    "Obtaining" certs without the experience to back it up on your resume is the same as not having the cert.
    While I understand the point you are trying to make I do take a different position on certs. Provided you are honest I think they are ok.

I use certs mostly to gain exposure to the technology.