Binary Arithmetic

JSNJSN Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
Noticed during the beginning section of eJPT, there was a section on Binary Arithmetic, is this covered on the exam? 

Also being as math is not my strong point, am I going to struggle in the Info Sec field?

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    edited May 2019
    Depends on what you want to do. I hate math and refuse to learn it and have what I consider a stellar Infosec career.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have zero clue if it is covered on the exam, but it is just arithmetic with 2 numbers. (addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division)  It isn't any crazy math formulas you need to memorize or anything. 

As far as math skills general, no you don't need to be amazing at math to do well Infosec.   
  • MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I very much like Math and numbers, and it has dramatically helped me in my career (and life).

That said, I've worked with extremely math-deficient people who seem to be doing ok.

Also, it's never too late to improve any skill - including Math. Math is one of the easier skills to improve as the improvement is just simply achieved by practice.
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Strong math skills are not necessarily required to work in security. That binary section, if I recall correctly, is part of the networking training in eJPT. If you need to compute a subnet mask, you'll need to know it. Most offices have separate networking and security teams, so you likely won't have to do this on a daily basis, depending on the job. It's still good to be familiar with it. You'll also need to be able to speak the language when communicating with your networking team. It's not as hard as you think. There are plenty of free tutorials on the web.