Options

WGU - MS CSIA

StrikingInfluencerStrikingInfluencer Member Posts: 38 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey everyone,

I think I might've asked this question here before or on another forum.  I'm debating going back to WGU and trying to get my MS in Cyber Security and Information Assurance.  The thing is, I'm not sure if it will even pay off right away or ever?  I currently have a pretty solid job already in CyberSec and am not sure if this degree will bring me or my career immediate value.  However, I do continuously debate where my next move will be - whether I go further into the engineering side or try to jump to management.  

Background:

- Recently passed and acquired a CISSP credential
- Have a B.S. in IT from WGU and an AAS in Net Admin from a CC
- 8 years total IT experience
- 26 years old -- single no kids or any real responsibility besides work

I guess what I'm wondering is if those who have obtained the MS in CSIA from WGU think it was worthwhile and opened up doors or new opportunities or if it wasn't really worth it.  If anything going back simply for the idea of learning more and becoming more credentialed is what makes this most appealing to me.  I have always been passionate about technology and learning so that part of it is probably most appealing. But the practical side of me also wants to know that I'm not throwing away money for more papers with my name on it that bring no additional value.  

Comments

• Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Does your company offer tuition reimbursement?  If so, that increases the value proposition of getting a Master's degree.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I took that Master's course when it was Information Security and Assurance.  I believe it directly attributed to getting my previous 3 jobs.  I did not earn my CISSP until last May.  I have nothing but good things to say about WGU.  YMMV, but I do see you already have a BS-IT from them as well.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I may be the exception, but I was so deep in the field that I learned absolutely zero in my WGU MSISA (old program name) studies. Add to that the horrible mentors that I came across and my experience wasn't enjoyable at all. No problem for me because my goal was purely to check the "I have a Masters" box. My ROI was the satisfaction of fulfilling a personal goal, so mission accomplished. You need to ask yourself what is your ultimate goal and see what role the masters plays in it. 
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
     If anything going back simply for the idea of learning more and becoming more credentialed is what makes this most appealing to me.  I have always been passionate about technology and learning so that part of it is probably most appealing. But the practical side of me also wants to know that I'm not throwing away money for more papers with my name on it that bring no additional value.  
    I know the reason I'm going back for my Master's degree is purely for my own personal passion and interest.  My work is helping pay for it to so that makes it easier decision to me too.    

No one is going to know if it is going to matter or not you on moving up in the future.  But would assume it would be a plus for whatever you do.  I dont think a Master's is something someone needs to be successful thought so if your looking at it in a purely dollar perspective imo you’d fine without it.
  • Options
    StrikingInfluencerStrikingInfluencer Member Posts: 38 ■■■□□□□□□□
     If anything going back simply for the idea of learning more and becoming more credentialed is what makes this most appealing to me.  I have always been passionate about technology and learning so that part of it is probably most appealing. But the practical side of me also wants to know that I'm not throwing away money for more papers with my name on it that bring no additional value.  
    I know the reason I'm going back for my Master's degree is purely for my own personal passion and interest.  My work is helping pay for it to so that makes it easier decision to me too.    

No one is going to know if it is going to matter or not you on moving up in the future.  But would assume it would be a plus for whatever you do.  I dont think a Master's is something someone needs to be successful thought so if your looking at it in a purely dollar perspective imo you’d fine without it.

Yeah and that's kind of where I am at right now.  I mostly want to go back for passion and interest but the logical side of me is asking why.  My company does have tuition reimbursement but I'd probably just pay out of pocket to be honest.  If you use their reimbursement it's a huge hassle to get courses approved by like three levels of management and if you leave the company within two years of obtaining the degree you have to pay them back the full amount. 

Has anyone who has gone through this course have anything to say on the workload?  How many hours a week did you dedicate?
  • Options
    thaiguy314thaiguy314 Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    From what I've read, my research, and the personal testimony of coworkers, most IT guys go to WGU to "check the box" and not necessarily to learn. I think if you can attain it now while you're not distracted by wife and kids AND at a discount/free (through tuition reimbursement), I'd highly consider it. It may not necessarily help now but it'd be good for the long term if you intend on staying in the field. I'm considering going back for a STEM masters, just narrowing down my school choices and WGU is definitely on the list.
    Certs: CISSP, CEH, CCNA Cyber Ops, Security+
  • Options
    BlucodexBlucodex Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited May 2019
    I did the program in 4.5 months.  Could have done it in even less if I wanted to.  I probably spent 10-15 hours a week.

I've had people look at me in interviews funny, like they think I am lying since I finished my BA the same year.  I don't list graduation years on my resume anymore.

It was worth the $3700 I spent judging by feedback (box checking) but I really didn't learn much (CISSP prep course really).  If I had spend more than $3700 probably not worth it so far.

If I could go back and knew my career trajectory I would have done something different like the online Master's from Champlain College in DFIR where I would actually learn something and enjoy it.  Or SANS if I could afford it.

If you can get SANS Workstudy $1500 for course and certification attempt that is a great value.
  • Options
    Blucodex said:
    If I could go back and knew my career trajectory I would have done something different like the online Master's from Champlain College in DFIR where I would actually learn something and enjoy it.  Or SANS if I could afford it.
    This exactly why I'm doing getting my Masters in Computer Science (with specialization in Cyber Security).   It is gonna take me longer and cost me more money but it covers things I'm more interested in learning.  I've gone back and forth for awhile on it on if I should get a Masters in just Information Assurance since it would be faster and cheaper, but just don't feel it would benefit me as much (personally and career wise)
  • Options
    Yeah and that's kind of where I am at right now.  I mostly want to go back for passion and interest but the logical side of me is asking why.  My company does have tuition reimbursement but I'd probably just pay out of pocket to be honest.  If you use their reimbursement it's a huge hassle to get courses approved by like three levels of management and if you leave the company within two years of obtaining the degree you have to pay them back the full amount.  

Ya, I don't think I could do it if they made you stay for a couple years.   I've heard a lot of places do this, but thankfully my company hasn't written that into any policy anywhere (was definitely something I wanted to make sure of)