Options

Refurbished Macbooks

DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
edited May 2019 in Wanted (ISO)
My daughter is getting an internship this year as a digital marketing analyst.  Psycho dad did some networking and found a taker, (actually my daughter did it on her own, I just fostered the final touches).  She has done well and hasn't asked for much.  I want to get her something and she has stated she wants a Macbook.  I'm a Windows guy and only own an iPhone so I am a bit lost with these products.  I was looking around and it looks like they refurb all the way back to 2014.....   What's a reasonable make and model that can perform.  

She will be managing a website for one of the local politicians and for a workout company, along with creating social media present for the workout company, the usual suspects......   It's kind of funny, she is 16 and starting to 1099 already, i'm extremely proud.    

Sorry.....  Really proud, anyway just curious which one you would recommend.  I was thinking my budget would be around 1200, but if I can come in below that and still provide a decent macbook that would be cool. 

Thanks!
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    DntH8MeDntH8Me Member Posts: 73 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I know she asked for a Macbook and many times over it is a status things (Mac people with pitchforks  >:) don't try to flame me before I finish. Personally I would opt for a laptop with the specs equal to or better than a Mac (very easy to do for less than your budget) and load Fedora 29 or Ubuntu 19.04 and she would have access to any development tool that she would possibly need. I know all the cool kids like to sit in Starbucks with the Apple logos shining brightly, but I prefer to blaze my own trail.
    2019 Certification Goals: ​CEH | PenText + | CISM? | stop procrastinating
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    DntH8Me said:
    I know she asked for a Macbook and many times over it is a status things (Mac people with pitchforks  >:) don't try to flame me before I finish. Personally I would opt for a laptop with the specs equal to or better than a Mac (very easy to do for less than your budget) and load Fedora 29 or Ubuntu 19.04 and she would have access to any development tool that she would possibly need. I know all the cool kids like to sit in Starbucks with the Apple logos shining brightly, but I prefer to blaze my own trail.
    Most companies I've been to, everyone in marketing seems to use Macbooks.   For someone joining a new team I would think she would want the same equipment and operating systems as her peers.   I've had both and personally have no preference on either.  I don't know if this makes sense but in my time using Macbooks I did find them more "solid" and well built.   I usually buy a Windows laptop since you can almost always get more specs for a cheaper price though. 
  • Options
    ArlesArles Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    While it's true that many marketing professionals use Macbooks, it's not universally the standard. Many companies use a mix of operating systems, and compatibility shouldn't be a major concern unless the team specifically relies on software only available on macOS.