Tech Recruiting is Broken

mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
A user on twitter created a fake profile of a Sea Bream fish on LinkedIn to see if he'd still receive job offers. The answer was.... yes.  :D

Link to story
Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

Comments

• NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think it’s been broken for awhile.   You graduated from college, that’s great you can become A recuiter!!!

Sure, there are some good recruiters, but there are several inexperienced recuiters as well. A lot of the recuiters don’t know anything about the position they are recuiting for.  Also, they don’t care if you get less pay, al they care about is their commission. 

I think the recuiters need to take time to know the candidate, company, and position, so they can place them in the right role.  This never really happens though, the recuiter needs someone right now.

I guess my pet peeves are
    1)
    come to our office for an interview.
    oh you know what I don’t have s job for you right now.

Me Why did waste my gas money?

2)
    Do you have a job description for this role?

recuiter No.  But I can submit you

interviee comes around.. still no job description 
    3)

Recuiter doesn’t know anything about the company they’re recuiting for.

4). You get submitted for a job and the recuiter calls you back saying you aren’t moving, because the company wanted xyz recuitement that you don’t have

When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well maybe they just think you're a quirky coder--maybe even a rockstar. What kind of cookies do you want us to bake on your birthday? Please describe.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    edited May 2019
    This is not new

It's an unregulated industry (not different to IT...), anyone can be a recruiter, no qualifications needed

Having said that, I've got ALL my jobs through random recruiters via applying online..so there are plenty of good recruiters out there

Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□

I guess my pet peeves are
    1)
    come to our office for an interview.
    oh you know what I don’t have s job for you right now.

Me Why did waste my gas money?

2)
    Do you have a job description for this role?

recuiter No.  But I can submit you

interviee comes around.. still no job description 

My biggest as well. There's always that recruiter that insist on getting you on the phone. Can I see a job description first. - No, but we can chat about it. /facepalm
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux