Got Interviewed, Other Opportunity - What do I do?

That Random GuyThat Random Guy Member Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
edited May 2019 in Professional Development
Hello,

I've been unemployed for roughly 8 months but I've been sending out resumes, attending job fairs and getting some minor interviews (all during that time). TL;DR @ bottom.

Nothing has panned out until recently, where I managed to interview for a position I really wanted. Thing is, this job would require overtime and I'm likely to be taking public transportation (rails) for a commute that's roughly an hour and some extra (that's on ideal traffic; whereas I'm currently dealing with lots of construction in my area).

I got interviewed by the company and they've been in contact with me on and off this past week, asking for more info (on my person) but nothing has been set in stone.

Out of the blue, I got called up by another company today inquiring about another position that I could also really learn from and for which I'd be interested in.

They've set me up with an interview on Thursday for a location that's a ways bit closer than the previous mentioned position.

Right now, I'm really nervous because I don't know what I'm to say if the 1st company calls up and offers me the job. I really like what the position would offer but I don't think the commute is ideal at all. The pay rate is good if I'd be getting what I had asked for but as of right now, IDK.

The way I see it, I'm sitting right now with nothing in my basket. Both opportunities seem legitimate and offer equal benefits/compensation but there's no guarantee that I'd get a spot in either.

I can assume the 1st company is somewhat interested in me but I don't know what they're thinking. The second company seems really ideal for me right now just due to commute and because I can't afford to get my own place just yet. Problem is, I haven't interviewed with them yet.

TL;DR:
Am I allowed to delay my response to an offer or what's generally accepted practice? In this case, should I even be able to do that? They're both kind of entry-level roles.

I'd hate it if I pissed off the first company, tried it out with the second company only to wind up with nothing.

UPDATE 5/17/19:
The 1st company hasn't chimed in but that could be for valid reasons. Anyway, the interview with the second company is next week. This doesn't give me a great chance to hold out on the 1st company if they decide to call me up 1st thing Monday morning.
Tagged:

Comments

• paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats on getting a few interviews after 8 months. I hope one of them pans out.

If you do get an offer from the first company - they should ideally offer you a time frame when you must respond with an acceptance or decline. Normally, an offer would be in writing, so if someone calls you and offers you the job, you should politely thank them and simply be gracious. Let them know that you look forward to reading the offer letter so you shouldn't feel pressure to make a decision on the phone. And you can certainly always politely tell the caller that you want to at least sleep on it overnight. You could then let the second company know that you have received an offered. And ask if the second company is planning to make you an offer as well.

Good luck!

• mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    For an entry level position, up to 72 hours to consider offer is okay. Anything over that, and the company will start to wonder if you are really interested. 
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• That Random GuyThat Random Guy Member Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
    edited May 2019

mikey88 said:
    For an entry level position, up to 72 hours to consider offer is okay. Anything over that, and the company will start to wonder if you are really interested. 
    Since the 1st company is likely to call before that second interview (probably Monday), I won't be able to meet that time-frame. Is there any way to push that down without coming off indecisive? Even I think 72 hours is being very generous and if I were them I wouldn't really continue taking me seriously after that point. I guess I'll have to make my decision....
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The first company hasn't even offered you the job. If they do, string them along a bit. Push the start date out a month or so to give yourself plenty of wiggle room to call them and say sorry, not taking the job. It's not the military and you can always change your mind, even up to a day or so into the new role. 
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
    edited May 2019
    yoba222 said:
    The first company hasn't even offered you the job. If they do, string them along a bit. Push the start date out a month or so to give yourself plenty of wiggle room to call them and say sorry, not taking the job. It's not the military and you can always change your mind, even up to a day or so into the new role. 
    I think I screwed myself by telling the 1st company I could start next week. They called me up today and in very few words basically offered me the position. I was expecting to actually hear the words "we're offering you the job" that by the time the call ended, I was hesistant to find that I had basically accepted the job. They sent out the offer letter via e-mail and now I'm freaking out 'cause I don't know what I'm supposed to do. Even if I go to the interview this Thursday, there's no way they'll be able to tell me if they want me or not in a day and surely not this weekend of all weekends. I feel like I've shot myself in the foot and have only left myself one option at this point.
    Congrats on getting an offer. There could have been worst outcomes.  Did you actually get a formal offer? The offer should state when they expect a response  and your acceptance.

When you meet with the second company - just be upfront about it and let them know that you received an offer already and you plan to accept it unless they are also planning to make you an offer. For all you know - after you meet with the second company - it may not be the job you want.
  • kaijukaiju Member Posts: 453 ■■■■■■■□□□
    edited May 2019
    Did company A make a respectable offer?

If the company B makes a better offer, be honest with company A and say: "I have had several interviews and another company has offered me a higher compensation package. Would it be possible for you, company A, to match this offer?"

Make sure you compare BOTH compensation packages thoroughly before moving forward with the above statement and request.

Like paul78 said, inform company B that you have received an offer from a different company. Also, do NOT mention the name of either company while negotiating. If company A balks you will have no choice but to go with company B.
    Work smarter NOT harder! Semper Gumby!
    paul78 said:
    Congrats on getting an offer. There could have been worst outcomes.  Did you actually get a formal offer? The offer should state when they expect a response  and your acceptance.

When you meet with the second company - just be upfront about it and let them know that you received an offer already and you plan to accept it unless they are also planning to make you an offer. For all you know - after you meet with the second company - it may not be the job you want.
    Out of curiosity.... do you know if it's possible to sign an offer letter and later go with a different company?

The first company wound up asking for it signed and it shows the benefits details clearly.

I just don't know if I should delay submitting that or if I can submit the offer letter signed and later go with another company if they want me.
  • Infosec_SamInfosec_Sam Admin Posts: 527 Admin
    paul78 said:

Out of curiosity.... do you know if it's possible to sign an offer letter and later go with a different company?

The first company wound up asking for it signed and it shows the benefits details clearly.

I just don't know if I should delay submitting that or if I can submit the offer letter signed and later go with another company if they want me.
    That's certainly within your realm of possibilities. The only think you'll want to keep in mind is that you are probably never going to get another offer from that company again if you back out once. If you're okay with that, then by all means, submit the offer letter and take that chance. The last thing you'd want is for Company A to rescind the offer because you took too long, and then Company B decides not to extend an offer.
    Community Manager at Infosec!
    Who we are | What we do
    edited May 2019

Assuming that you are in the US and that the offer letter is not a binding contract (which is rarely the case in the US) - there's nothing that keeps you from walking away. Most US states have employment at will doctrine so you can and the employer could rescind an offer or an acceptance at any time.  I've even seen situations where someone started at a job, and didn't come back after lunch. But as @Infosec_Sam mentioned - you would be burning a bridge with the company and the hiring manager. I don't ever recommend doing that because you never know if you would run into the company or people from that company again, plus I personally would consider it unprofessional.

• JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Honestly, go ahead and tell interview #2 that you just received an offer. They should be up front on whether their interviewing process timeline can be done in enough time to give you an answer or not. One of the questions I am asked is if I am actively interviewing elsewhere or am expecting any offers, usually for that reason. Also, in your position it seems the saying, a bird in the hand is worth more than two in the bush, is applicable. Accept the first job. IF the second one can come thru before your start date, you can at least compare offers. At this point if you accept the first, you cannot go back and try to have them match the second, but it's better having a job secured than risk burning it and then the second one never materializes. 
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • CyberCop123CyberCop123 Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I say this to everyone looking at jobs, interviewing and possibly getting offers:

This is a two way process.  You are interviewing the company too, and you're well within your rights to turn an offer down, negotiate or accept if you want to.  It has to be right for you as much as it has to be with them.  I have said this to companies before and it actually goes down well.  

Based on this, if you do get an offer, as others have said, be very grateful to the recruiter and enthusiastic.  Say that you'd like a few days as you want to consider it before accepting.  They will say that is fine and you can have a few days.

If you had only had the first job on the table, I would say you should take it as you are unemployed and it is a job even if the commute is quite challenging.  With the second job it is difficult with timing. 

You may go to the interview and get a bad feeling, you may get a great feeling and know that is the job for you.  It's hard to say before you go.

There's also ways to delay things a little with job one to give you a bit more time.  For example, if they called you today, then give them a call back tomorrow or the day after.  You can say that you've been away or something.  That gives you a couple of days.  

Good luck for the interview next week
    My Aims
    2017: OSCP -
    COMPLETED
    2018: CISSP -
    COMPLETED
    2019: GIAC GNFA - Advanced Network Forensics & Threat Hunting -
    COMPLETED
               GIAC GREM - Reverse Engineering of Malware -
    COMPLETED

2021: CCSP
    2022: OSWE (hopefully)
    edited May 2019
    I guess I should make some clarifications:
    If you have already signed and submitted your offer letter your best bet is to go with company A.
    If not, interview with company B but also let them know that you have received an offer and start date from a different company. 

Some companies WILL match offers if they feel you are a perfect match for the position and team atmosphere. I have personally had a company match a compensation package for me. Company "A" was more desirable because of ancillary benefits ($15k/yr in tuition assistance for job related degrees, all certs are reimbursed, cert upkeep is reimbursed, better health insurance, bi-weekly pay periods, 100hrs of annual leave for the first year that increases each year plus more) and there was room to move upwards. Company "B's" salary plus housing compensation package was 25% more with a decent ancillary benefit package ( 1st and 15th pay periods, $7500/yr in tuition assistance, cert reimbursement for approved certs, health insurance plus more). Company "A" matched the compensation package with ease because there was wiggle room in the package cap for the position. I actually received the offers about a day a part. Even though I refused company B's offer they still reach out to me every so often and I have referred several people to them with success. I told company B the offer from Company A was a better fit for my family and career. 

kaiju said:
    I guess I should make some clarifications:
    If you have already signed and submitted your offer letter your best bet is to go with company A.
    If not, interview with company B but also let them know that you have received an offer and start date from a different company. 

Some companies WILL match offers if they feel you are a perfect match for the position and team atmosphere. I have personally had a company match a compensation package for me. Company "A" was more desirable because of ancillary benefits ($15k/yr in tuition assistance for job related degrees, all certs are reimbursed, cert upkeep is reimbursed, better health insurance, bi-weekly pay periods, 100hrs of annual leave for the first year that increases each year plus more) and there was room to move upwards. Company "B's" salary plus housing compensation package was 25% more with a decent ancillary benefit package ( 1st and 15th pay periods, $7500/yr in tuition assistance, cert reimbursement for approved certs, health insurance plus more). Company "A" matched the compensation package with ease because there was wiggle room in the package cap for the position. I actually received the offers about a day a part. Even though I refused company B's offer they still reach out to me every so often and I have referred several people to them with success. I told company B the offer from Company A was a better fit for my family and career. 

That's reminded me, why do employees in the US get such poor annual leave?  Is it correct that you often get around 10 days?  

In the UK the standard is about 25 days.  I get 30 days and that doesn't include about 11 bank holidays.  Even then I feel like I want more! 
    My Aims
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED

That is standard for 1st year with a company. When I left that company for a better position I was up to 160hrs of leave (20 days). 20 days of leave plus 10 days for holidays and 40 hours of sick leave was more than enough. I was allowed a max of 340 hours on the books and I rarely took more than 60 hours per year.

Many small companies do not allow their employees to carryover leave hours from year to year so I try to avoid those cheapo companies. Use or lose leave is stupid because it creates workforce shortages at the fiscal or or annual year cut off point when masses burn leave at the same time. 
    kaiju said:
    I rarely took more than 60 hours per year.

Wow, why was that?  Because you enjoyed the work so much, you were happy, or what?

Did you not feel burned out or fed up with being at work all the time?
    My Aims
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED

edited May 2019
    Because I get to travel a lot (Thailand, Australia, Guam, Japan, Korea),  the job locale is pretty awesome and I love this position. Tier 3 jack of all trades (network, systems, cyber) and I get to mentor people who are new to the org. 

10 minutes from my office

Back to the topic:
    Weigh all of your options carefully!! If you think company A is a solid choice then buckle down and dig in. Burning bridges early in your career will feel like you have burned a hole in your soul while looking for new opportunities. 
  • Infosec_SamInfosec_Sam Admin Posts: 527 Admin
    kaiju said:

Because I get to travel a lot (Thailand, Australia, Guam, Japan, Korea),  the job locale is pretty awesome and I love this position. Tier 3 jack of all trades (network, systems, cyber) and I get to mentor people who are new to the org. 

Oh my god.. With that view I don't think I'd ever take vacation!
    Community Manager at Infosec!
    Who we are | What we do
    kaiju said:

Oh my god.. With that view I don't think I'd ever take vacation!

Interesting.... as that is similar to the opportunity I have at present (detailed in my thread)!
    My Aims
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED

Update 5/23/19:

I interviewed with company 2 today and the interviewer didn't like my credentials. The job description clearly outlined someone of my caliber and I made my case but doesn't seem likely.

I'll be sending the signed offer letter to the initial company promptly.

I'd like to thank everyone who participated in this thread and especially those that provided feedback. You guys really saved my neck.

Cheers! :)
    Update 5/23/19:

I interviewed with company 2 today and the interviewer didn't like my credentials. The job description clearly outlined someone of my caliber and I made my case but doesn't seem likely.

I'll be sending the signed offer letter to the initial company promptly.

I'd like to thank everyone who participated in this thread and especially those that provided feedback. You guys really saved my neck.

Cheers! :)

Ah, sorry it didn't go too well today but it does make your decision much easier!  

Sounds like a great step though, and you'll get some great experience I bet

Good Luck!
    My Aims
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED

• Basic85Basic85 Member Posts: 189 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It all depends on the company, some companies want you to make a decision right there and than while others will give you time to think it over.  Some companies do not have offer letters, it's all verbal which to me is a red flag, I know I fell for it once and it didn't work out.  My recommendation is get it in writing with an offer letter if they bark back at you or ignore you than decline the offer.  
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well that makes it easy at least.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP