Figuring out better cert/career path to go for?

draughtdraught Member Posts: 229 ■■■■□□□□□□

I'm at the point where I can get deskside support jobs, help desk tier 2 or basic network physical level field work but I don't have enough knowledge and experience to go further. I just got my bachelor’s beginning of this year from WGU which is good but still not enough to get me a higher level role.

I'm very divided on what sort of certification I should be specializing in. I have a ton of certs, but most are all over five years old and expired of course none matter apart from my CCNA but again it's old and I've forgotten so much.

The way I see it I have two routes I could go: renew my CCNA and try very hard to get a basic networking position. The other route is to get an MCSA and work towards an admin role instead. It seems like there is greater demand for the windows admin skill set It also seems like the barrier of entry for networking jobs is higher.

I feel like getting the MSCA would be a better move but am unsure. Regardless I want to start working on something soon. I will say I would like to know more about windows server since it's so important in every place I've ever worked so I'm leaning towards that. I guess eventually I could just do both…

Comments

• LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    At this point just go all in on Linux and cloud lol.
  • DFTK13DFTK13 Member Posts: 176 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Draught, you said that windows server has been a major aspect of every job that you’ve worked at, it definitely makes sense in your situation to pursue the MCSA first. Also I would invest time in developing your powershell skills because automation and scripting abilities will save you much time and make you much more desirable as a potential hire. I would renew your CCNA after. 
    Certs: CCNA(200-301), Network+, A+, LPI Linux Essentials
    Goals: CCNP Enterprise(ENCOR + ENARSI), AWS CSA - Associate, Azure AZ-104, Become better at python, learn docker and kubernetes

Degree: A.S. Network Administration
    Pursuing: B.S. in I.T. Web and Mobile Development Concentration
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I got a CCNA in 2013 and unfortunately let it expire also. Last year I started my MCSA because I really didn't have enough windows knowledge.

I am not disappointed but my current position is a mix of system and network support.
  • mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You can't go wrong with either. The mistake I made early on in my career is not pursuing those soon enough after the CompTIA certs.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• DFTK13DFTK13 Member Posts: 176 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @mikey88

I agree, I had my A+ and Net+ and they’re both expired now. Looking back, I would’ve just skipped taking the CompTia exams and devoted that time entirely to more vendor specific certs such as MS, Cisco and Linux. 

Furthermore, it is slowly but surely becoming more difficult to come across an IT job that doesn’t require programming in some aspect. I also wish I would’ve started learning coding concepts much sooner. So right now I’m trying to learn python, I feel like it will pay off in the long run. 
    Certs: CCNA(200-301), Network+, A+, LPI Linux Essentials
    Goals: CCNP Enterprise(ENCOR + ENARSI), AWS CSA - Associate, Azure AZ-104, Become better at python, learn docker and kubernetes

Degree: A.S. Network Administration
    Pursuing: B.S. in I.T. Web and Mobile Development Concentration