Starting to dive into Linux

jah8887jah8887 Member Posts: 81 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have tinkered with Linux on and off over my professional career but never anything serious.  Is there any particular flavor of Linux I should use or maybe Ubuntu for studying for the certs?

Comments

• stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Honestly, I would use CentOS, since it mirrors the latest Red Hat Enterprise Linux distribution.  That would give you a lot of flexibility when studying for certifications.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • jah8887jah8887 Member Posts: 81 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I will look into grabbing the latest CentOS then.  Thanks for the advice!
  • jah8887jah8887 Member Posts: 81 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sorry to update this older thread but I have Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and Centos both Virtualized on a pc.  Did you have any recommendations of books and or classes etc I should incorporate into my Linux + cert testing?
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    I don't have any recommendations for Linux+, I did RHCE years ago however. Wishing you good luck, and I strongly recommend RHCSA and then RHCE because they're lab based.

Keep us posted with your progress mate!
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• Muhammed HMuhammed H Member Posts: 93 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @UnixGuy ....Off the topic...does RHCSA add any value without experience?
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    @Muhammed H : Depends on what you mean value. You gain fantastic practical knowledge.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think the value lies in whether or not the market you are in values it.  Since it is a practical exam, you have to know how to do the various tasks and prove it, whereas the Linux+ is more theoretical knowledge-based.  Granted, I haven't taken the latest Linux+ exam, so I can't say that they haven't changed it to be more practical, though I tend to doubt that CompTIA would make such a huge change between versions.

I know a few Linux admins here in Denver and they would say even without experience, if you can pass the RHCSA exam, they would give you an interview.  With the Linux+, not so much.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me