Choosing a legit online BSCS degree!

KassuhnKassuhn Member Posts: 3 ■■□□□□□□□□

Hey guys!

I am trying to decide on a good online Computer Science program that I can transfer into. I want to study online because of the flexibility with my schedule and the money I will save. The problem is that I tend to overthink things and get a little bit scared to commit to a program. I want to make sure employers will take my degree seriously when I graduate. The programs listed are two that I could start right away. Some other programs have more prereqs that would delay my enrollment.

The two programs that I have been eyeing are:

• Western Governors University - BS Computer Science

I love the idea of being able to move at my own pace with this program. I should be able to finish it in about 18 months and I would be able to come out of it with no debt as well which is amazing. I know it is regionally accredited but have seen some people call it a degree mill. This would be the ideal move if the degree would actually look good in the eyes of employers, but some of the negative feedback I have seen has made me a little nervous.

• The University Of London Coursera - BSc Computer Science

This program seems flexible and comes from a well-known university. It would cost me around $20,000 which isn't too bad. I feel like this one is safer in a way since UOL is well known around the world and has an actual campus. The only downsides are it is very new and unproven, costs more, and would take 3 years instead of 18 months at WGU.

Any feedback would be highly appreciated!

Comments

• MrsWilliamsMrsWilliams Member Posts: 192 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @Kassuhn

I have one question at the moment:

1. Are you outside of the United States? If you are, what made you pick WGU out of the hundreds of universities in the United States. 
    edited June 2019
    Kassuhn said:

Hey guys!

We need to be Gender Neutral around here buddy! 

MODS!

LOL Just playing
  • KassuhnKassuhn Member Posts: 3 ■■□□□□□□□□
    @MrsWilliams

No, I am from Seattle, Washington. I chose it because it is a college I can transfer into immediately and I will not have to take out any student loans. Other online programs had prereqs that would send me back to community college for 2-3 quarters. I figured if it was actually legit, it would be the best option.
    edited June 2019
    Kassuhn said:
    @MrsWilliams

No, I am from Seattle, Washington. I chose it because it is a college I can transfer into immediately and I will not have to take out any student loans. Other online programs had prereqs that would send me back to community college for 2-3 quarters. I figured if it was actually legit, it would be the best option.
    With that being said, WGU sound like a decent option. Classes start literally every month. From the looks of things the next possible start date is 1 July. https://www.wgu.edu/admissions/enrollment.html

The catch is, it can take some time for all of the documents/transcripts to be manually viewed and approved. I had to email them and call them frequently to expedite the process. I had all of my previous transcripts mailed overnight so I KNEW when they arrived. 

Considering 1 July is the new possible start date, if you apply and do everything ASAP. It's other universities in your area that has start dates around the July timeframe.

key-dates-deadlines

That is just one university. I think most universities in the same area have start dates around the same time. So, you still have the option to go to a bigger stateside university. 

Either way, the admissions process for WGU and stateside universities can take some time. Especially stateside universities because they are so competitive. If you have a pulse and IT experience/certifications you can get into WGU. It's nothing to brag about on a resume LOL

The catch is money. Getting an (accredited) undergrad for under 20K narrows down your list of possibilities to only a handful. IF 20k is your limit, that's 5K a year x 4 years. 

With WGU that's whatever you can do in a semester X whatever you can do in a semester. It's people here https://www.reddit.com/r/WGU/ who have done an undergrad in record time and have the screenshots to prove it. 
    Like here, when people do the unbelievable or things outside of the norm, no screenshot means you didn't do it. People can type anything on a keyboard. 

I hope that whatever you decide pays off. 
  • KassuhnKassuhn Member Posts: 3 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Oh, nice! Yeah, I agree it seems like the best option for my current situation. I am going to apply and get my documents over to them as soon as possible so I can smooth that process along. 

So you would say that most employers would approve of the degree? As long as they see it as legitimate I am totally sold. 
  • Infosec_SamInfosec_Sam Admin Posts: 527 Admin
    If I had to guess, I would say you shouldn't have a problem getting a job in the Pacific Northwest with WGU on your resume. Reason being, they're accredited by the NWCCU, which is the same organization that accredits Washington, Oregon, Gonzaga, Utah, and BYU. If they think WGU is on the same level as those other schools, I would be inclined to agree.

That being said, once you get that first job, your experience is going to pull much more weight than your education on your resume. I agree with @MrsWilliams - WGU is a pretty good option for you, especially since you're in Seattle.
    Community Manager at Infosec!
    Who we are | What we do
  • dkorzhevindkorzhevin Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @dkorzhevin The titles says, 

Choosing a legit online BSCS degree!

and you referred him to a link on affordable Master's Degree Programs  :D:D:D:D:D:D
    Kassuhn said:
    Oh, nice! Yeah, I agree it seems like the best option for my current situation. I am going to apply and get my documents over to them as soon as possible so I can smooth that process along. 

So you would say that most employers would approve of the degree? As long as they see it as legitimate I am totally sold. 
    WGU has an application deadline mark at a certain day each month. You can probably google or call them to get the exact date. If you have everything together and approved by the deadline you can start the next month. If you don't, you get to wait an extra month. 

Approve of the degree yes. Not an issue with that. A lot of well-off people have a WGU degree. BUT, I will say that some of those people who I considered to be well-off career wise were already well-off/established or/and had another degree from a stateside university. I have a stateside undergrad. I am not sure I would have a WGU Associates, Bachelor's, and Master's. That's just me though. 

A WGU degree would do you know harm.

This is a competitive market. You are only checking a box. Would I apply for a position at the Pentagon and try to get in a competitive position with a WGU Degree .... probably not. People would probably laugh your degree into the shredder. The majority of areas around the US you'll be fine. It's people from all over the US who have a WGU degree. Like I've said time and time again and I'll say 100 more times. I knew nothing of WGU until I visited this site. 

If you want a cheap degree that is accredited and will check the box, WGU is it!

• yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Looking into the future, either one should work I think in like 90% or your potential life paths. If you become CIO in ten years, I think it might look better if the degree on the wall said University of London rather than WGU. But they would both say Computer Science (as opposed to a degree in music) so there's that.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • MrNetTekMrNetTek Member Posts: 100 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited July 2019
    I agree with those here - WGU is the best option. 

LinkedIn  Tumblr  Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Mix  My Blog