Federal Job w/ Multiple Offers! Which one to take?!?

Icecube0045Icecube0045 Member Posts: 15 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello Guys, I need some advice. I have two federal job offers.

The first is for a Term GS-11 2210 position in InfoSec and in the compliance division. The term is for 13 months but can be extended for up to 4 years. Although it is a term position, I am considering it because it would be a perfect opportunity for me to start getting some experience in security. Which from my understanding could be a lot more lucrative than staying in systems administration. However, because its a GS-11 position in the DMV area, my budget will be tighter than id like.

The 2nd position is a permanent GS-12 2210 Systems Administrator position in Texas. I am currently a systems administrator so I would be basically doing the same things I do at my current job.

Do you think it would be worth it to take the GS-11 with the opportunity to have a cyber security role on my resume and then find a job in the private sector? Or should I take the GS-12 as a systems administrator, stay with the government and look for GS-13 and 14 roles?

Also, are GS-12 position's normally a role where I would be managing contractors or actually doing the work? 

Comments

• MrsWilliamsMrsWilliams Member Posts: 192 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited June 2019

Also, are GS-12 position's normally a role where I would be managing contractors or actually doing the work? 
    The listing on usajobs is going to have something like this--->

Supervisory status
    Yes.

Just because you are in a 12 position doesn't mean you are going to be in charge of anyone. I highly highly suggest reading over the job announcement AGAIN :) 

I also highly suggest looking at other forums outside of this one for government job related questions. I think other governmental focused forums/sites would have answered your questions. 

You think you can take a 12, then jump to a 13/14 
    :( I again suggest you do some leg-work and fully understand how "promotions" work on the government sector. 

Long story short, I would not live pay check to pay check for ANY job, ever. You didn't say you would be but if I have to be more conservative financially than I already am for a role, it's not worth it. I am not into sacrificing my way of life and minimizing my savings account for something that'll look good on my resume down the road. ...when my bank account isn't looking good. I hope I answered your question.

Good Luck

Edit:

You said that you are a System Admin. The role is a Cyber role. Just know that, probably all of the positions have a probationary period, maybe 1 year. Just know that they can get rid of you during that one year. So, I hope the bullets you selected you were expert in, as an example you really can perform the job. Some of these jobs the military is doing the interview. I had one not long ago, it was all military on the phone. What I will say is getting fired during the probationally period is easier than getting fired after the probationary period ..and to look at other government job focused places on the web. ..
  • Icecube0045Icecube0045 Member Posts: 15 ■■■□□□□□□□
    edited June 2019
    Both of my interviews consisted of supervisors as well as the division chiefs. They were all civilian gov employees.  Also, there are lots of GS-13 positions on USA jobs. I do understand I would need to meet the 52 week time in grade requirement before I could be promoted for certain positions. 

I wouldn't be living paycheck to paycheck in the DMV but I would definitely have more financial freedom in Texas. I was thinking more about the future potential earnings I could make in the cyber security field. 
  • COBOL_DOS_ERACOBOL_DOS_ERA Member Posts: 205 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Hello Guys, I need some advice. I have two federal job offers.

The first is for a Term GS-11 2210 position in InfoSec and in the compliance division. The term is for 13 months but can be extended for up to 4 years. Although it is a term position, I am considering it because it would be a perfect opportunity for me to start getting some experience in security. Which from my understanding could be a lot more lucrative than staying in systems administration. However, because its a GS-11 position in the DMV area, my budget will be tighter than id like.

The 2nd position is a permanent GS-12 2210 Systems Administrator position in Texas. I am currently a systems administrator so I would be basically doing the same things I do at my current job.

Do you think it would be worth it to take the GS-11 with the opportunity to have a cyber security role on my resume and then find a job in the private sector? Or should I take the GS-12 as a systems administrator, stay with the government and look for GS-13 and 14 roles?

"The 2nd position is a permanent GS-12 2210 Systems Administrator position in Texas. I am currently a systems administrator so I would be basically doing the same things I do at my current job."

I'm not a federal employee but having worked in that environment for the last 12 years or so, I would say go for the "
    permanent GS-12 2210 Systems Administrator position in Texas". There is I believe one year probation period attached to this, and am also pretty sure you are not going to manage any contractor at GS-12, that generally starts from GS-13. You are probably going to start at GS-12, Step 4 or 5 depending on the experience.  After working say 3-4 years at GS-12, you can apply for GS-13 within and outside of the agency as a Status employee. GS-14 is really tough to get in unless you are already working in that hiring agency.  Remember in Texas there is no personal income tax, but you are losing the income to property taxes; I call it even trade-off.
    CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, PMP, PMI-ACP, SEC+, ITIL V3, A-CSM. And Many More.
  • jabneyjabney Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm currently in the DMV and a GS employee, I'm also a 2210 in my case I do SA and InfoSec work. In my opinion, take the GS-12 position. Living in Texas ( no State tax) that's a big deal the VA commonwealth and MD both get you coming and going, and our cost of living is high(and that's saying something as I'm from NYC). I think your quality of life would be better in Texas. You didn't mention your age, but with the benefits and retirement, you may just get to GS land and decide to stay.

You can and should negotiate the step level you come in on. As someone with system administrator experience, you have more leverage in the SA position. Also, you can negotiate leave as well if you get credit for your experience as a contractor or otherwise. Once you're in and do your year you can then bounce around the government freely. Better to start at a 12 than an 11. You can easily pick up experience doing infosec once you're in there's always new positions opening up.

Shoot me a PM if you have other questions. 
  • kaijukaiju Member Posts: 453 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Probation period for GS jobs was changed to 2 years a couple years ago. 52 weeks = you have to prove that you were in the minimum GS level for 1 year or more. A lot of US government contractor jobs also have a GS-xxE rating (E = equivalent). However, individuals with MS/MA degrees or higher and/or have held civilian C-suite level level positions are able to transition to GS-12 and higher jobs with ease. Also, check the position's ability to promote to the next level. In many cases, in order to move up you have to move out. You will also have to deal with the ignorant sub-morons in HR who will try to start you at step one. They have the ability to start you at step 5 without higher approval as long as you have sufficient supporting information (education + experience + certification).  GS12 step 5 gets better pay but also makes it much easier to move to GS13.
    Work smarter NOT harder! Semper Gumby!
  • Icecube0045Icecube0045 Member Posts: 15 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone for your replies. 

I will be graduating with my MS degree in August so hopefully that will help me. Also, the position does not have any promotion potential. However, I have seen lots of open GS-13 positions around the US. So, eventually I would look to move up. 
  • CryptoQueCryptoQue Member Posts: 204 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think you're in a good situation because you have options. I live in the DMV area and a GS-11 salary doesn't go very far due to the cost of living here. I would suggest going with the position in Texas. You've stated that you're willing to move, so you'll have ample opportunities in the future to apply for GS-13 positions once you've met the position requirements. What's your ultimate career path...a cyber security technical role or management? 
  • mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    From what I've seen, Federal Infosec doesn't translate that well into public sector. So keep that in mind.  
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    edited June 2019
    Would you get secret clearance in job 1?  Just curious.  I have no experience in the private sector personally.
  • chriscurtis83chriscurtis83 Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would take the GS12. I was a GS11 2210 Perm at NETCOM at Fort Hood and it sucked. The position was ok but there was zero room for advancement. that was because all the GS12's were never going to leave. I couldn't skip a step either as a perm you have to be a 12 before a 13. The cool thing about a temp position is you can skip grades because its a temp but the downside is you could be looking for another job after your period isn't renewed. The way that work at NETCOM was if a Perm GS went to a OCONUS position their spot was held for them for 3 or 4 years while they are gone a temp position is created to fill that spot. Once they come back which could be anytime before that time period is up you are out of a job.
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think the GS-12 might be better if you know you'll be pivoting out and into infosec elsewhere. But I think if you want to stay as a GS, you may wish you jumped in as a GS-13 because you won't be able to jump to a 13 once you've committed to a 12 position.
    I also feel that it's really a crap shoot as to if the position sucks or is decent and it's something you can only discover after working there for a few days.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • kaijukaiju Member Posts: 453 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Take a promote-able GS12 even if it is not permanent, do your minimum time to make GS13 and then move on with your career. The biggest hurdle is landing a decent GS position. The only issue with this approach is you will most likely have to move around so do not set any roots unless there are lots of GS positions in your area.
    Work smarter NOT harder! Semper Gumby!