Options

Degree/career that allows you to travel or work remotely?

Jwheels2007Jwheels2007 Member Posts: 3 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi I’m new here. Would like to enter tech/IT field to get a job that allows you to travel. Whether it’s in IT or software development, working for a company overseas or remotely and traveling on my own. What would be the best path to take?

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    edited June 2019
    Start looking at job postings for something you can do that requires 100% telecommuting/telework/remote work. Contract work (e.g., writing, programming) and service desk jobs can often be done entirely from home.
  • Options
    JDMurray said:
    Start looking at job postings for something you can do that requires 100% telecommuting/telework/remote work. Contract work (e.g., writing, programming) and service desk jobs can often be done entirely from home.
    Was kind of hoping to get a degree in a field that paid well. Ive heard of remote software development positions as well as IT position overseas. 
  • Options
    Anybody heard of or obtained a tech/IT position that gives you location flexibility?
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Start looking at job postings.  You will get an idea..
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Freelancing in software development will give you the most flexibility to travel on your terms.

You can also look into the State Dept. They have travel support teams and also foreign service. Less flexibility but plenty of travel non the less.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• Options
    SanErSanEr Member Posts: 17 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I also think that it is better to look through the job boards. I can recommend to check work and travel sites. In general, I find a possibility to earn money and see the world to be really good. And it is great that modern technologies allow many people to do this.