RHCSA, Good Intro to Linux?

N7ValiantN7Valiant Member Posts: 363 ■■■■□□□□□□
Coming off the MCSA and MCSE, I wanted to see if the RHCSA would be a good introduction to Linux?

My typical style of learning is very hands on(which is why the CCENT is boring me right now), so I don't pay much attention to CBT or YouTube videos and can't absorb much.  My preference is typically to follow along a study guide and perform some exercises in a virtual lab.  I know Ubuntu is recommended to get familiar with the Windows client equivalent of Linux, but I generally find I get a bit aimless if I don't have a particular task set before me (like setting up DNS, replication, failover or something).

So I wanted to see if I can just purchase a copy of the cert guide, get an evaluation copy of Red Hat Enterprise 7 and just go to town?  Or do you need at least a basic idea of how Linux works before getting started?
OSCP
MCSE: Core Infrastructure
MCSA: Windows Server 2016
CompTIA A+ | Network+ | Security+ CE

Comments

• Swift6Swift6 Member Posts: 268 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi @N7Valiant, LPIC-1 or CompTIA Linux+ is a good start if you are new to Linux.
    They are also vendor-neutral which covers your main variants of Linux.

Red Hat certs are respected in the Linux world and I certainly recommend RHCSA if you prefer hands on learning and labs.
    There are plenty of resources available to get you started.
    The exam is hands on so it proves you can actually do tasks not just reading about how to do it.
  • jasper_zanjanijasper_zanjani Member Posts: 76 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree with Swift6, if you are just trying to familiarize yourself with the general principles behind Linux, CompTIA Linux+ is the way to go. They recently revamped their exam, and I believe you will have an easier time with it than with LPIC-1, which has been known for requiring comprehensive knowledge of commands and options, although they also revamped their exam recently. I wrote about my experience with the previous generation of Linux+, including the resources I used, in this forum post.
  • N7ValiantN7Valiant Member Posts: 363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For now I'm looking to lab up (favorite hobby I guess).  I'm just not sure if lacking the baseline knowledge of Linux is a roadblock to the RHCSA, or if it's just something I can pick up as I go along.  I didn't exactly get certified in Windows 10 before I jumped straight into Windows Server.
    OSCP
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    I'll always recommend RHCSA over any multiple choice based exams. It's more challenging but you can't beat the lab-based learning experience. You'll also retain the practical knowledge better.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

Red Hat it is then!

Do I get to wear one of these when I'm done?
    https://www.amazon.com/Mens-Sun-Hat-Beach-Fedoras/dp/B07SG2D4BN/
    OSCP
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    @N7Valiant lol they're pretty cool hey. I know of few people who have their linkedin profile pic in a red hat
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You could try this book, it has lab exercises in it.  You could also contact @STANLY_CC, as they have a couple of RHCSA courses that are $185 a piece and, if they are anything like the VMware course I took a few years ago, they should be mostly lab-based modules.  Of course, you could also check out Udemy or edx.org for video courses.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • november24november24 Member Posts: 76 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Check the Cisco Academy for their Linux courses, 70 hours of free learning material + hands-on lab.

• STANLY_CCSTANLY_CC Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Stanly Community College is a Red Hat Academy.

Get Red Hat certified with classes at Stanly Community College’s IT Academy (SCC/ITA). We offer courses for the Red Hat® Certified System Administrator (RHCSA) certification.

SCC/ITA offers these courses under the umbrella of Continuing Education. These fast-paced courses are conducted online. All course materials, assessments, and labs are available through our online learning management system. Students have access to top of the line instruction and equipment.

Note: SCC/ITA can offer the Red Hat courses only to individuals and not as part of corporate training.

We offer Red Hat System Administration I (RHA124) & Red Hat System Administration II (RHA134).  To ensure you are contacted when these classes are offered, please add your information to our online waitlist. Just choose RHA 124--Red Hat System Administration I or RHA 134--Red Hat System Administration II from the drop-down menu “Select Class”.

Our next round of classes starts 21 August 2019.

• STANLY_CCSTANLY_CC Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□

Get Red Hat certified with classes at Stanly Community College’s IT Academy (SCC/ITA). We offer courses for the Red Hat® Certified System Administrator (RHCSA) certification.

SCC/ITA offers these courses under the umbrella of Continuing Education. These fast-paced courses are conducted online. All course materials, assessments, and labs are available through our online learning management system. Students have access to top of the line instruction and equipment.

Note: SCC/ITA can offer the Red Hat courses only to individuals and not as part of corporate training.

We offer Red Hat System Administration I (RHA124) & Red Hat System Administration II (RHA134).  To ensure you are contacted when these classes are offered, please add your information to our online waitlist. Just choose RHA 124--Red Hat System Administration I or RHA 134--Red Hat System Administration II from the drop-down menu “Select Class”.

• blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have done both Linux+/LPIC and RHCSA (exam pending).  Some might say RHCSA is harder, but it is also more practical in nature and is a better measure of skill on the market.

If you are just looking to brush up on Linux skills in general (command line, scripting, etc) and not too concerned about actual certs, just do the trial or a monthly subscription to Linux Academy, and you can tailor to your specific needs.  For example, they have a pretty decent series that goes into detail on systemd that doesn't track either certification.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • november24november24 Member Posts: 76 ■■■■□□□□□□
    STANLY_CC said:

Do you guys provide a discount voucher for the certification exam?
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Was about to suggest the LFCS because it can lead to an MCSA Linux on Azure, but looks like Microsoft retired that one. If I could go back in time I think maybe I would have gone down the RHCSA route since as it stands I intend to let the LFCS expire.

Studying for the LFCS was about as exciting as watching paint dry and I suspect RHCSA to be largely the same. Sander Van Vugt was my favorite learning resource, but there's more to choose from for the Red Hat cert I suppose.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
    yoba222 said:
    Studying for the LFCS was about as exciting as watching paint dry and I suspect RHCSA to be largely the same. Sander Van Vugt was my favorite learning resource, but there's more to choose from for the Red Hat cert I suppose.
    Why's that?  Compared to something entirely book based such as the CompTIA Trifecta or the CCENT, I found the MCSA to be very much engaging since you work with the actual product in question even in a lab environment.  It also seems like the exam (or even working with the OS) will be heavily command line based, which is exactly where I want to skill up.
    OSCP
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    edited June 2019
    N7Valiant said:
    yoba222 said:
    Why's that?  Compared to something entirely book based such as the CompTIA Trifecta or the CCENT, I found the MCSA to be very much engaging since you work with the actual product in question even in a lab environment.  It also seems like the exam (or even working with the OS) will be heavily command line based, which is exactly where I want to skill up.

I think it's just my personal tastes. Labbing through the exam prep is really what kept me awake. Also, I was wrong about the Linux on Azure thing--Microsoft still adores the idea of renaming things every couple of years:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-ie/azure-master

Actually, that training looks free now too. Maybe I was a bit hasty to condemn LFCS over RHCSA.

A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP