Possible path the CCNP Security?

wseyllerwseyller Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□

I currently have a CCNP Routing & Switching and would like to pursue a CCNP in Security.  I do have some experience with firewalls and security at my current position.

I was in the middle of studying for CCNA Security.  Since the new exam changes coming up I don't see any reason to do the CCNA Security since it won't really existing anymore.  Looks like with the new exams you can jump straight to CCNP Security.

So one option was to study now on old CCNP security content and then when the books and new training material come out, I can fill in the gaps.  Then take the New core exam and one more exam.

But another options I was thinking about was to studying now for one of the four current CCNP Security exams and take it before the deadline skipping the CCNA security exam.

According to the migration tool I would then just have to take the new core exam and then I am done.

So does my last option seem viable?  I'm am also curious if taking one of the old ccnp security exams would renew my CCNP r&s even though I skipped ccna sec.

Comments

• thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yes, you could take one of the old CCNP security exams and it would renew your CCNP R&S.  I took this directly from the CCNP R&S page under the recertification section:

"Pass any current 642-XXX Professional-level or any 300-XXX Professional-level exam,"

Your last option does seem viable.  I plan on doing a similar thing with the collaboration track, but I plan on getting the CCNA Collaboration first.  I decided it might be a good buildup to the CCNP exams even though it will be going away.
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would continue studying CCNA Security even if you skip the test. Most of the books I read assume you already know the basics and I am assuming CCNP Security is the same way.