CISSP Passed @ 150/2:39 | 100% SELF STUDIED

UsualSuspect7UsualSuspect7 Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
edited July 2019 in CISSP
I feel really good rn!!!

100% Self Studied. I passed the CISSP through reading the Sybex book from cover to cover. I highlighted and resummerized concepts in my own words written within the book. I don't like the Sybex Book as it's a bit aloof and inaccurate at times; such as on the vulnerability assessment topic, it left out a critical step, which was to validate patches which were applied to a vulnerability. 

I decided to read the 11th hour from cover to cover. I finished the book this morning and took the exam this afternoon. The 11th hour is way better than Sybex; however in certain area it's a bit too brief, but way better than Sybex. 

I did not take any practice exam/ practice questions. I prefer to spend time understanding the concepts as opposed to the practice questions. I did learn something important when taking the CISSP; it's not a technical exam and therefore before every question follow this order of precedence:

1) Human Life
2) Legal
3) Management 
4) Technical 

I often found the choices were often the best in each of the following four listed and therefore pay very close attention to "what" the question is asking, Good Luck!

Study Material:
Sybex Official CISSP
Eleventh Hour

Experience:
NOC Analyst (3 YRS)
Network Security Engineer (3YRS)
Security Analyst (6M)

Education:
Master Degree - Cyber Security (2017)

Certification:
Security+ 
CYSA
CCENT
CCNA R/S
CCNA Cyber Ops

CISSP, CCENT, CCNA R/S, CCNA Cyber OPs, Security+, CySA+, PenTest+, Network+, Microsoft AZ-900, InsightVM CA

Comments

• yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats! I have a similar background/amount of experience as you and may go for the CISSP next year. If you had to do it all over again, would you just ditch the Sybex and only use the 11th hour guide?
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • UsualSuspect7UsualSuspect7 Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
    edited July 2019
    yoba222 said:
    Congrats! I have a similar background/amount of experience as you and may go for the CISSP next year. If you had to do it all over again, would you just ditch the Sybex and only use the 11th hour guide?

That's an excellent question! 

I would read the Sybex book, but select the specific chapters/contents that i'm most unfamiliar. Good Luck!

I personally though would read the entire book, because it's just bothers me that i'm skipping pages. I think i may have a mild OCD lol, bc you don't know, what you don't know and may discover new things. 

CISSP, CCENT, CCNA R/S, CCNA Cyber OPs, Security+, CySA+, PenTest+, Network+, Microsoft AZ-900, InsightVM CA
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I did learn something important when taking the CISSP; it's not a technical exam and therefore before every question follow this order of precedence:

1) Human Life
    2) Legal
    3) Management 
    4) Technical 

I often found the choices were often the best in each of the following four listed and therefore pay very close attention to "what" the question is asking, Good Luck!

This is excellent advice! Also, you may see four right answers. Choose the one that's MOST right.
  • DZA_DZA_ Member Posts: 467 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congratulations!
  • That Random GuyThat Random Guy Member Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!

The CISSP is definitely not what I would call a technical exam.

It's basically a "here's a random scenario; now figure out the possible solution with vague requirements".

I consider that kind of poor standard but I suppose the experts and seniors know better than me. Oh well. :)