College, i tell ya.

diablo911diablo911 Member Posts: 36 ■■■□□□□□□□
wanted to study for CCNA over the summer, but 99 percent of my time was taken up doing math/trig over the summer, looks like ill pass. Whats crazy is i have no idea what i just did, i looked back on one of my old problems with reducing identities and have already forgotten, so now that summer time has passed its off to ocean studies and comparative religion ex ex  SQL and stuff. Just doesnt look like ill have time to study for the CCNA till i finish school. Is what it is, just sucks why im going through this math, still need calc, the guys in networking i know say they never touch or use the stuff. I know there are plenty of things we all half to do in life that we dont want to or may be of no use to us but regardless are still tasked with it. But at this point having one semester left till this Bachelors of Science in computer networking is complete, beyond burnt out on anything that has to do with a computer. Need a job that doesnt involve computers or math.

Comments

• AvgITGeekAvgITGeek Member Posts: 342 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited July 2019
    Suck it up and drive on or go be a plumber and stop tormenting yourself.

Why are you so hung up on having to learn math when you won't ever be asked that in a network role?  Why? Because that is what your college requires! Not Cisco, not Microsoft and not any other vendors on certifications that involve networking. Just be ready to have to know things that you will never see in real life or little inane details when you do sit a Cisco or Microsoft exam. Oh yeah, they will ask you things that aren't in the books or videos you've been using to study.
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    edited July 2019
    Sounds to me like you did a very poor job of reviewing the requirements of your degree program and the large role a degree in general before you committed to it.  Hopefully that will be a lesson that sticks with you longer than some of your recent classes.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • diablo911diablo911 Member Posts: 36 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @iBrokeIT . Yep, lesson learned.
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    One more semester and you’re done.  Knock it out!
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Knock it out. You are so close.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I find it difficult to study more then two things at a time. If I had two hard courses at the same time everything else would get the bare minimum effort. That's just how I learn.

The good news is once your finished with your degree you will get to go find a job and start learning things that apply to your actual career. You will get to pick what you want to study and eventually use that information to pick where you want to work.
  • LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Are you really going to get a job that doesn't involve computers, right after getting a Computer Networking degree?

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
  • McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I wouldn't get so hung up on getting your CCNA before finishing college. Honestly, most jobs that require that level of knowledge probably wont hire you straight out of college. Sure it wouldn't hurt to have it but at the same time there are easier and more valuable certs to come out of school with such as A+, Network+ or Security+. I came out of college without any certs and those 3 were the big ones everyone wanted for entry level roles.
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • Johnhe0414Johnhe0414 Registered Users Posts: 191 ■■■■■□□□□□
    diablo911 said:
    wanted to study for CCNA over the summer, but 99 percent of my time was taken up doing math/trig over the summer, looks like ill pass. Whats crazy is i have no idea what i just did, i looked back on one of my old problems with reducing identities and have already forgotten, so now that summer time has passed its off to ocean studies and comparative religion ex ex  SQL and stuff. Just doesnt look like ill have time to study for the CCNA till i finish school. Is what it is, just sucks why im going through this math, still need calc, the guys in networking i know say they never touch or use the stuff. I know there are plenty of things we all half to do in life that we dont want to or may be of no use to us but regardless are still tasked with it. But at this point having one semester left till this Bachelors of Science in computer networking is complete, beyond burnt out on anything that has to do with a computer. Need a job that doesnt involve computers or math.
    That degree may come in handy when your ready to promote. I won't say you need a degree, but i have seen many people passed over for a promotion for not having one. You are about to earn a Bachelors of Science and that is Awesome! The other stuff - certifications, experience and the like will come in good time.

Just do it!

Current: Network+ | Project+ 
    Working on: PMP
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It's going to feel so good once the degree is finally done.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • ps.89ps.89 Member Posts: 47 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Finish up school first, take a small mental break, then push towards your CCNA. It's not a race! And besides, if you've already forgotten all the math you learned, it'll be much more likely that you forget your CCNA studies if you try to study for both at the same time.
    2021 Year Goals: CCNP Enterprise Core; finish a Python video course
  • MrNetTekMrNetTek Member Posts: 100 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited November 2019
    I tend to agree with Johnhe0414. While you may not need a degree to be successful, it certainly won't hurt your chances at promotion. Many employers won't even look at you without some type of degree---even if it is not in tech---a degree can be helpful. The company I'm with now requires anyone above a tech position to have a degree.
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    edited July 2019
    diablo911 said:
    Sounds like you're getting burned out.   I would skip the CCNA for now.   Any chance you can go to your cabin, or get away for the weekend?   Maybe, you can have one of those weekend were you go off the grid. ( you don't use any technology) No computers, or cell phones.  Just a thought
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • DFTK13DFTK13 Member Posts: 176 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm going through the same thing, I'm currently doing my BS in Information Technology at a State University. I'm taking classes that I know I'm never going to use(ENGL, HIST...etc) I'm currently trying to study for the CCNA and Linux+ and it's quite a challenge. I managed to knock out LPI linux essentials. I'm only taking 2 classes a semester because I work full time as a computer hardware tech. The thing is, you have to pace yourself, study one thing a night or do it on a rotating basis. That way you're getting something done. I completely understand about being burned out, after I get my CCNA, I'm going to take a good month off and just let my brain recharge. My motivation is getting that better job, because my wife and kids depend on it, without them...there's no way I could do all this. Having a serious motivation also makes up 90% of it. 
    Certs: CCNA(200-301), Network+, A+, LPI Linux Essentials
    Goals: CCNP Enterprise(ENCOR + ENARSI), AWS CSA - Associate, Azure AZ-104, Become better at python, learn docker and kubernetes

Degree: A.S. Network Administration
    Pursuing: B.S. in I.T. Web and Mobile Development Concentration