Azure certification planning, security focus

johnnycryptojohnnycrypto Member Posts: 12 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am trying to make sense of how to pursue Azure certification.  It's my understanding they are retiring the 70- series that would have gained you the Azure MCSA, retiring those end of this year.  

So basically are we just playing a waiting game for the replacement courses and so on?  I can't figure it out.  I can't even figure out what books one would get.  I'd like to focus on security, but the Azure solutions architect is what I'm thinking is my focus right now.

Comments

• mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If you want to focus on cloud security, then look into AWS certs or pick up some automation/scripting skills while you wait for updated exam curriculum.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• Azt7Azt7 Member Posts: 121 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah, I don't know where the Azure cert program is going. 

They updated all the exams in the fall of 2017 and even realeased the 70-535 Solution Architect (which I passed in August). 

Less than a year after that update, all those exams are getting retired for some brand new ones ?

Looks like they are all over the place so I woud recommend waiting for any Azure cert and rather go for CCSK or CCSP if you qualify. Those are vendor neutral and can be applied to all cloud environnements
    Certifications : ITIL, MCSA Office 365, MCSE Productivity, AWS CSAA, Azure Architect, CCSK, TOGAF
    Studying for :  TBD
  • cochi78cochi78 Member Posts: 72 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The Microsoft Certified Azure Developer Associate got changed. It's only one exam now (AZ-203) after some feedback from test takers.

In addition, there's "Azure Fundamentals" (AZ-900) and "Azure DevOps Engineer Expert" (AZ-400, need Administrator or Developer Associate first) now.

• MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • wirygnrhdwirygnrhd Member Posts: 4 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you decide to take Azure Architect certification, you need to take AZ-300 and AZ-302 exams. If you have passed 70-535 exam before Dec.31, 2018, you need to take AZ-302 exam.
  • ArkrainArkrain Member Posts: 55 ■■■□□□□□□□
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/azure-exams.aspx

And in 1 of may there is one exam (AZ-103) for the Azure Administrator Associate.

• SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    edited April 2019
    I am on the same path.. Azure architect and security.  I am currenty studying for AZ-103 using the older material for AZ-100 and AZ-101. Then I hope that study material for the architect will have been re-released. 

Then for the security aspect, I will study for ISC2 CCSP (I am already CISSP). 
  • jasper_zanjanijasper_zanjani Member Posts: 76 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am preparing for the AZ-103. Any suggestions on particular exam guides?
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    A Cloud Guru has courses for the Azure exams. 
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
    JoJoCal19 said:
    Damn! They are super expensive! If I was working for a company I'd definitely have them pay for it! 😂
    JoJoCal19 said:
    Also.. goddamn, how many certs do you have?! And congrats on passing the AWS last month, what cert are you getting for Python?
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    JoJoCal19 said:
    Also.. goddamn, how many certs do you have?! And congrats on passing the AWS last month, what cert are you getting for Python?
    Thanks! All my certs are in my sig except my old Network+ (non-expiry). I'm probably not going to do a cert for Python, just starting with Codeacademy and then looking at Python Crash Course by NoStarch.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • MrNetTekMrNetTek Member Posts: 100 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited November 2019
    Great info to know. I'm going to pursue a few Azure certs, myself...starting with the AZ-900, and then moving on to the dev cert. I put this page together for my x900 studies: http://eddiejackson.net/wp/?page_id=23856 (I'll continue adding study material there).

Courses I'm taking:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/paths/azure-fundamentals/

https://www.udemy.com/az-900-azure-exam-prep-understanding-cloud-concepts

-MrNetTek at your service-
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    edited July 2019
    I have plans to do the Azure Fundamentals AZ-900 and O365 Fundamentals MS-900 by end of the year. The ultimate goal will be to get the security tracks in Azure Security Associates AZ-500 & O365 Security Administrator Associates MS-500 in 2020.

It is inevitable, many companies are making the move to the cloud.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
    edited November 2019
    @chrisone
    "It is inevitable, many companies are making the move to the cloud."

Agreed.

• malachi1612malachi1612 Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I want to do some Azure certs maybe along side my Cyber Security studying but MS dont make it easy to lab in for Azure.  Signing up to Azure trials isnt easy and I always have problems.

Same for anyone else?
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

edited November 2019
    @malachi1612

Same. Luckily for me, my company now has Azure. So, working on the labs are much easier. 

The way MS has set up the "free" Azure, you need to register with a different person to get the 1-month free access. I originally went through 3 people during Intune training. Not fun, but not impossible.

• malachi1612malachi1612 Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    MrNetTek said:
    @malachi1612

Same. Luckily for me, my company now has Azure. So, working on the labs are much easier. 

The way MS has set up the "free" Azure, you need to register with a different person to get the 1-month free access. I originally went through 3 people during Intune training. Not fun, but not impossible.

Yeah doesn't seem to work anymore.  After completing my Windows 10 exams a few years back and trying to sign up now, even with different details it does not work.
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

edited November 2019
    @malachi1612

Hit up a friend or family member. Use their info. It will work then. 

edited November 2019
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    For those that are considering the AZ-900 Azure Fundamentals exam, I doubt many here are the target audience for this exam and there isn’t going to be any marked demand for it.  Why?  It is effectively like the ITIL Foundations certification, but for Azure. What does this mean?  It is meant for people whose primary responsibility isn’t in Azure focused work, but they work in an organization that uses Azure.  Think: Project Managers, IT Managers, IT Directors, etc.  Basically, it is a tool to help these people has sound foundational knowledge so that they can speak the same language of the folks that are in the Associate, Developer, Architect role.

Now, it certainly won’t take anything away from you by sitting the exam, and maybe there are some folks that are in a service desk sort of role that could benefit from it.  But if your goal is to implement Azure solutions, this one really isn’t for you.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro