Active Top Secret/SCI desiring to go OCONUS (Middle East)

Arizona321Arizona321 Member Posts: 2 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone, newbie here!  Been reading a lot on here the past few weeks, so thank you to everyone that contributes on this site.

Here's my current situation.  
Clearance:  TS/SCI

Current Employer:  Army, 4 years, leaving in October.  Combat Arms job, so no IT work there.

Experience:  I have little professional IT experience, worked at an online hosting company doing tech support (but mainly sales) for about a year prior to joining the Army.

Certifications:  Studying for Security plus, plan to test mid September.

Desired Job Location:  Middle East, just started reading on here about Africa (intrigued, but not too sure)

So here are my questions:

With having little experience will it be hard for me to get picked up for a job? 

What jobs should I apply to?  Help Desk, or something a little higher because of my clearance? 

Who should I start with ?  I see a lot of people go with Vectrus on here, but since I already have a clearance should I look elsewhere ? 

Is there a pay difference between Secret vs TS/SCI clearance?

What's a realistic salary expectation?  

How long does the process usually take from application turn in until you're on country ?  I would like to leave begining of the new year.

Does OCONUS contracting look good to CONUS employers ?  I plan on doing 1-2 years then coming back to the US and working for Boeing, General Dynamics, Northrop Grumman or other Defense Contracting companies in the Phoenix area.

I'm married with a newborn.  The primary reason for me wanting to go OCONUS is for the money and experience.  With the already saved money and contracting money I'd like to have a nice down payment on a house.   The wife is ok (but not excited) for me to go back overseas if the money is right.

Comments

• mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□

With having little experience will it be hard for me to get picked up for a job? 
    With military experience and clearance, it shouldn't be too hard for an entry level position. 

What jobs should I apply to?  Help Desk, or something a little higher because of my clearance?
    As far as IT work, either service desk or ADPE Tech is a good start. There are also other non IT jobs out there like Security, Intel etc

Who should I start with ?  I see a lot of people go with Vectrus on here, but since I already have a clearance should I look elsewhere ? 
    I think so, look into General Dynamics, Jacobs, Leidos etc. Lots of contractors out there. You can google Defense contractors middle east to get an idea who's out there.

Generally yes, for example in DC area the difference is about 20k annually from what I heard. Obviously it varies.  

About $100-150k annually for entry level, but it varies a lot by uplifts, danger pay, overtime etc

How long does the process usually take from application turn in until you're on country ?  I would like to leave beginning of the new year.
    A month or two. Clearance is the longest hold. Once you clear medical, you get an CRC date and fly out.

Does OCONUS contracting look good to CONUS employers ?  I plan on doing 1-2 years then coming back to the US and working for Boeing, General Dynamics, Northrop Grumman or other Defense Contracting companies in the Phoenix area.
    I don't see why not especially if you can get in with a major contractor and then transfer internally. 

Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• Arizona321Arizona321 Member Posts: 2 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mikey88 said:

With military experience and clearance, it shouldn't be too hard for an entry level position. 

As far as IT work, either service desk or ADPE Tech is a good start. There are also other non IT jobs out there like Security, Intel etc

I think so, look into General Dynamics, Jacobs, Leidos etc. Lots of contractors out there. You can google Defense contractors middle east to get an idea who's out there.

Generally yes, for example in DC area the difference is about 20k annually from what I heard. Obviously it varies.  

About $100-150k annually for entry level, but it varies a lot by uplifts, danger pay, overtime etc

How long does the process usually take from application turn in until you're on country ?  I would like to leave beginning of the new year.
    A month or two. Clearance is the longest hold. Once you clear medical, you get an CRC date and fly out.

I don't see why not especially if you can get in with a major contractor and then transfer internally. 

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate the answers.

I've done quite a bit of looking on Glassdoor and Indeed at different positions.  It just seems like if you have a TS/SCI they want you in a senior level spot or a CISSP, which I don't have yet.

Despite not wanting to leave until the new year is it too soon to start applying to these jobs ? 
  • mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Probably too early yes, but create a profile on clearancejobs.com and start connecting with recruiters now.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux