Passed my CISSP exam today, 1st attempt

AnteloperAnteloper Member Posts: 9 ■■■□□□□□□□
edited July 2019 in CISSP
Have been studying for the past one full year, postponed four times included two times right at the end as I felt I needed a few extra days.

Study Material:
1) Sybex, 8th edition, cover to cover including practice questions and online Bonus Exams (included free with your book purchase). Highly recommended.

2) BOSON ExSim practice exam. Good practice for exam but see my note below.

No Videos or Cram courses for me! But had to work my tail off on the book and practice questions. Prepared my own notes/flash-cards. Went back and forth to the book on material as needed for further studying.

About the exam:
Goes without saying it was really hard. As has been mentioned elsewhere it covers generalities not specifics so high-level view/understanding is a must. Actual exam different to questions encountered in the book/Boson. Took all of 175 minutes (with 5 min break) to answer all 150 questions. A printed note was handed at the end at reception with the congratulatory notice. I was surprised as I thought with CAT format, you are informed right on the computer on results, or maybe it took all of the last right answer to pass the test for me :)

My Tip:
Highly recommend taking a 5 minutes break at halfway point even though it counts as test time. In my case really had to go use the bathroom but even without its worth it, my thought process was much sharper after the break.

Best of luck!

Comments

• DZA_DZA_ Member Posts: 467 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats! Did you find for yourself that utilizing the two resources was sufficient for studying or did you have a ton of experience behind you going into the exam?
  • mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Very nice!
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• ice9ice9 Member Posts: 28 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Did I miss something? When did CISSP become 180 questions?  So, your best advice is to bounce your knowledge and learning gaps off of the Sybex 8th edition?  Thanks for sharing!

• bjpeterbjpeter Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ice9 said:
    Did I miss something? When did CISSP become 180 questions?  So, your best advice is to bounce your knowledge and learning gaps off of the Sybex 8th edition?  Thanks for sharing!

Is this a glitch? Did you mean 150 questions?
    2021 Goals (2): SSCP, eCPPT
    Achieved (27): Certified Associate in Python Programming, Microsoft Certified: Azure Fundamentals, PenTest+, Project+, CySA+, Flutter Certified Application Developer, OCP Java EE 7 Application Developer, CCSP, OCP Java SE 11 Developer, CISSP, Linux+/LPIC-1, CCSKv4, OCE Java EE 6 JPA Developer, CSSLP, Server+, Cloud+, Arcitura Certified Cloud Professional, CASP+, Mobility+, Storage+, Android Certified Application Developer, OCP Java SE 8 Programmer, Security+, OCM Java SE 6 Developer, B.S. and M.S. in Computer Science
  • AnteloperAnteloper Member Posts: 9 ■■■□□□□□□□
    bjpeter said:
    ice9 said:

Is this a glitch? Did you mean 150 questions?
    Yes, the glitch has been corrected. Only 150 questions! That's hard enough, don't need extra 30 :p