Missed A+ by a question...what next?

L_D_GL_D_G Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
Passed 901 a couple months ago.  Moved onto 902 which I felt more comfortable with in general.  Turns out I wasn't comfortable enough and got 680/700.  So now I'm wondering if I should regroup, get materials for the 1000 series and try yet again...or just move on.  By move on, I mean my plan was always to go after Sec+.  However, Sec+ is in year 2 and I'm guessing the next generation comes in January 2020.  Do I throw away all of my time on the 900 series or is bridging that gap not terribly difficult?  Should I just sit and wait 6 months for the next Sec+ to hit?

Comments

• NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd say it depends on how much the A+ cert would help you.   Not sure how much the A+ helps anyone but someone who is looking for their first job or maybe a second level desktop support person.  But... I would be surprised if the new version was drastically different from the previous and you might be fine just reviewing the areas you scored low in and taking the 1000 series.  (obviously looking over what the differences between the new and old ones are first)
  • L_D_GL_D_G Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I got into A+ because it felt like a good foundation. Some stuff I knew, some I didn't.  Given that I am in the world of govt contracting, Sec+ would likely help more.  

I feel like I read somewhere before that some companies would consider getting a Sec+ or Net+ as also being A+ certified.  Is that true?
  • Infosec_SamInfosec_Sam Admin Posts: 527 Admin
    L_D_G said:
    I feel like I read somewhere before that some companies would consider getting a Sec+ or Net+ as also being A+ certified.  Is that true?
    I would say that's generally the case, although there may be some (not many) exceptions. The A+ isn't going to pull a ton of weight on your resume, and it's certainly not going to get you anything the Net+/Sec+ cannot. I heard from a couple people who thought the A+ was a more challenging exam than the Sec+ just because it covered a lot of obsolete technologies, but that could just be anecdotal.

Out of curiosity, is there a reason why you want to jump over the Net+ straight to the Sec+? While the Net+ is not a direct requirement, it certainly would give you some background to make the Sec+ much easier.
    Community Manager at Infosec!
    Who we are | What we do
  • L_D_GL_D_G Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Out of curiosity, is there a reason why you want to jump over the Net+ straight to the Sec+? While the Net+ is not a direct requirement, it certainly would give you some background to make the Sec+ much easier.
    Way too many people working for the government in IT related fields have told me to go straight for Sec+.  

But now that I have at least 6 months (I'm guessing with 501 being 2 years in), I'm trying to figure out if I should take all the A+ studying I did and try to make it worth while by pursuing 1001-1002 or keep going for Sec+.  

I suppose even if I had passed 902 (missed by a single question) that I still would have been in this situation where I'm waiting for the next generation certification to drop.