Where's the bling?

paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
edited May 2019 in Show Us Your Tech!
Such emptiness over here. I recall that there used to be a subset of TE that liked to show-off their tech and builds. Anyone got anything interesting to share or show?

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I'm swapping my lab from on-prem to the cloud. Does that count?
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    edited May 2019
    Dang the cloud hype. Most of my stuff is in cloud too but I always wondered if there are modding enthusiast here too.  I've been looking for some inspiration for a new setup since my current rig is sloppy and tossed together for utility only. I see some nice ideas on Reddit - but most of the setups are geared at gamers. I figured that if I have to spend all day on this computer, it may at least have some art-form to it.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    People are modding Arduino's and Raspberry Pi's these days. :/
  • DZA_DZA_ Member Posts: 467 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I was able to snag a bunch of networking equipment and servers my old job was getting rid of. Here's a pic I took of it once I got it all in the rack - I'll have to make a full post soon!

Featuring:
    • Fortinet 100D
    • Procurve 2610 (or something like that)
    • PowerEdge R620
    • PE R710
    • 2x EqualLogic PS6100
    • ZoneFlex R700
    • Awful Cable Management

How was the power consumption for that rack? Did you always have it on?
  • Infosec_SamInfosec_Sam Admin Posts: 527 Admin
    I usually don't have the EqualLogics on since they suck power hard and they're super loud. Right now I'm just running the R620, the firewall, and the AP. I've been meaning to get a kill-a-watt, but haven't gotten around to it yet. As it stands right now, it maybe costs me $10/month max. I'm sure the ELs would double (maybe triple) that, so they're used for periodic backups and offline storage. Maybe once I have a better place to put it than my living room, I'd think about keeping them up 100%, but they're just so damn loud.
    Community Manager at Infosec!
    Who we are | What we do
    edited May 2019
    @JDMurray - funny you mentioned it. I've been looking at differences between a Rock64 and ODROID as I'm trying to decide on whether it's worth building our own custom dropboxes for our pentesters.

@Infosec_Sam - Nice setup! The noise is the perfect reason for you to start a modding project. I keep my rack in the basement. But the reason why I'm seeking inspiration is that my current desktop rig is really unattractive is because I replaced all the fans and PSUs in the desktop with quieter components and I watercooled the GPUs and CPUs. It's super quiet - but very ugly and there are components all over the place because larger PSUs, etc don't fit in the case.  So I got hoses, rads, pumps, and PSUs duck-taped to the desk and case.

• Infosec_SamInfosec_Sam Admin Posts: 527 Admin
    paul78 said:

But the reason why I'm seeking inspiration is that my current desktop rig is really unattractive is because I replaced all the fans and PSUs in the desktop with quieter components and I watercooled the GPUs and CPUs. It's super quiet - but very ugly and there are components all over the place because larger PSUs, etc don't fit in the case.  So I got hoses, rads, pumps, and PSUs duck-taped to the desk and case.

Jeez, how big of a PSU are we talking here - like larger than ATX, or in addition to the one powering your build? I mean, if you're willing to drop some serious coin, you could get this XL-ATX form-factor case..
    Community Manager at Infosec!
    Who we are | What we do
    Jeez, how big of a PSU are we talking here - like larger than ATX, or in addition to the one powering your build? I mean, if you're willing to drop some serious coin, you could get this XL-ATX form-factor case..
    My rig draws a lot of power at full load (probably around 2kwatts) so I have to use 2 PSUs - I have a pair of Corsair HX1200 PSUs. I have to put them outside the case because the original case had 2 hot-swap slim PSUs.

Also, the mobo form-factor is proprietary since it's a server mobo so I would need to mod most cases to mount it.

I had looked at Thermaltake cases. I originally had my eye a CaseLabs TX10 (https://www.overclock.net/photopost/data/1645069/d/d1/d1fd15fb_TX10-023.jpeg)  But they went out of business. Linus did a review on their TXW10 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baDPxV82PaY - it looked like a nice case.

But lately - I've been looking for a desk pc case because I think that could serve me better and longer. There aren't too many manufacturers though - so far I only found 3 companies that make them - Badvolf, LianLi, and Hydra.

If anyone knows of any other manufacturers - please share.

• MrNetTekMrNetTek Member Posts: 100 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited November 2019
    I dunno about bling, my setup reflects what I do at work, which is dev work across multiple devices and platforms. I have a little bit of everything: servers (DL380), Macs (MacBook Pro, two minis), Linux machines (bionic beaver), 15+ Windows boxes, half a dozen phones, tablets, and machines set up for cloud admin---I work on Azure and Intune.

Home Lab
    home_newjpg 1274447

The DL380

Hanging out in the Matrix

Just as crazy on site 

-MrNetTek at your service-
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Image result for Sun servers

I used to have one of those at home. Man I miss SUN.... :'(

Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• MrNetTekMrNetTek Member Posts: 100 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited November 2019
    @UnixGuy

Yup, Sun was great. 

-MrNetTek at your service-
  • ArlesArles Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That's a fascinating setup, Infosec_Sam! I truly appreciate you sharing the details about your unique dual PSU configuration and the challenges of finding a suitable case due to the proprietary motherboard form factor.