Masters programs after WGU

boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
I post this in the WGU IT Facebook group so ignore if you saw this question there.

I am currently more than halfway through the program and I am looking at masters programs. I want to find out whats a good masters program, has anyone ever transferred to Penn State, other peoples experiences and if you transferred what school did you go too?
Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.

Comments

• Infosec_SamInfosec_Sam Admin Posts: 527 Admin
    Here's what I found when I searched IT Master's Degrees, so it looks like you have quite a few options. I don't think you'll have much trouble choosing a good grad school from that list. As for personal recommendations, I can't really make an educated guess, but being a Wisconsin native, I know UW-Whitewater is solid and pretty affordable at ~$11,000/yr. However, the it doesn't pull as much weight on a resume as a flagship state school might.

I'm interested to hear other opinions!
    Community Manager at Infosec!
    Who we are | What we do
  • boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the link!
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    WGU has a list of them here, not sure how often it's updated so there might be a fair number more at this point

https://alumni.wgu.edu/s/1110/16/site/wide.aspx?gid=1&pgid=1246&sid=1110

Be warned, you might be very spoiled with the WGU model and get frustrated in doing regular classes again. I know I was, so much busy work that I felt I should have been able to test right out of. 

• iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    ...I want to find out whats a good masters program...
    "Good" based on what criteria? What are your specific goals for a Master degree?
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    iBrokeIT said:
    ...I want to find out whats a good masters program...
    "Good" based on what criteria? What are your specific goals for a Master degree?
    That's a good question! I find that it seems like most people equate "good" with "more impressive on my resume". I don't really consider an MS program to be anything like job training, but more as just another credential. 
  • nevermorenevermore Member Posts: 39 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I evaluated Penn State for online graduate studies once I completed my BS back in 2017.  I evaluated the program and from my own research and talking to someone who recently completed their MS program, and one of the primary complaints that I heard was their lab environment was outdated.  This ended up being one of the primary reasons that turned me away from applying to their program.  Can not speak if that is still the case or if they have addressed it at this point 2+ years later.  

Since my employer is only paying for roughly half of my tuition and the other half is coming out of my pocket, for any hands on lab work I wanted learn on current technology and expect it to perform.  Ultimately, I selected the online graduate degree program at Norwich.
    Obtained:
    • CISSP/ISSAP/ISSMP, CISM, GISP, CEH
    • M.S. Information Security and Assurance Norwich University
    • B.S. Cybersecurity UMUC
    In Queue: PMP, CCSP, CRISC

Danielm7 said:
    WGU has a list of them here, not sure how often it's updated so there might be a fair number more at this point

Be warned, you might be very spoiled with the WGU model and get frustrated in doing regular classes again. I know I was, so much busy work that I felt I should have been able to test right out of. 

Hmmmm, yeah good point that's one of my concerns actually.
    Danielm7 said:

Hmmmm, yeah good point that's one of my concerns actually.