New job! BUT someone quit and were REALLY BEHIND!

AODITAODIT Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey family, started a new desktop support technician job Monday and here's how it goes. Pay is decent and was told it is level 2ish 

Monday day 1 - hey we're really behind catching up on tickets and you don't have your log in information so all these boxes that accumulated from the refresh project that are in the IT room and storage can you break them all down and trash them, I literally took trash out all day, felt like the replacement for the janitor , - directions from the intermittent team lead 

Tuesday -  an offsite manager notified the intermittent team lead to give more ITrelated work since I called and told him about day 1 so I wiped hard drives, did some simple tickets like replace keyboards and got a little training on the more important stuff like ticketing methods etc, Solid day not too bad 

Wednesday - today started off alright doing some email checking and watched a tech do a refresh and get everything synced up for the client and then around 11 o clock hey 18 dual monitor stations need set up here's the list those are the computers, ok no problem I started off by setting up the dual monitors that needed carted down a floor and plates needed screwed into the back to mount the monitors I got that part done in a couple of hours, I got some lunch and was told oh those all shoulda been set up in a few hours and I'm thinking why am I getting timed A and if you can do it so fast why am I assigned to it B and C this is obviously **** people don't prefer to do but has to be done so why are you kicking me while I'm down... Who wants to set up 18 stations solo with phones dual display computers etc...

Anyways I notified the offsite manager since there is no real manager on site and he sympathized with me and told me he'll let the interim team lead know to cool down on the expectations, then I was called back and asked about some hearsay where I told someone I'm,a software not hardware guy which is false I never stated that so not sure I think the only other tech who does work hard though came up with it he's an older gentlemen about 55 he works hard but you csn tell screws loose he's always on the move and the interim team lead told me he always acts up around new guys and many have came and left 

This place supposedly had a 17 year veteran handling the building his self with little help but quit due to burn out overload and left the place kinda outa wack... I'm going to dinner with the interim team lead to try to smooth the team out but also I'm going to the other building tomorrow to get some training from a different tech I was told he will train on the regular stuff lime refreshes backups etc

Anyhow. I want to keep my job it's conveniently located, puts a little cash in my pocket and I'm so sick of job hopping because short shitty runs in shitty companies but it seems like it's always what I find..
 Who can advise me on how to keep my job

Comments

• NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    AODIT said:
    Monday day 1 - hey we're really behind catching up on tickets and you don't have your log in information so all these boxes that accumulated from the refresh project that are in the IT room and storage can you break them all down and trash them, I literally took trash out all day, felt like the replacement for the janitor , - directions from the intermittent team lead 

There is a a lot of information in your post , so I'm breaking it down piece by piece. 

Honestly, this makes sense, because you are the new guy and you will get assigned the more simpler tasks, until you get more familiar with the environment.

You say intermittent team lead, is he filling in for someone until they hire a full time lead?

Tuesday -  an offsite manager notified the intermittent team lead to give more IT related work since I called and told him about day 1 so I wiped hard drives, did some simple tickets like replace keyboards and got a little training on the more important stuff like ticketing methods etc, Solid day not too bad 

I really don't think you should have called him and mentioned you were breaking down card broad all day on your first day.  The only exception to this would be if he asked how things were going.  
    Wednesday - today started off alright doing some email checking and watched a tech do a refresh and get everything synced up for the client and then around 11 o clock hey 18 dual monitor stations need set up here's the list those are the computers, ok no problem I started off by setting up the dual monitors that needed carted down a floor and plates needed screwed into the back to mount the monitors I got that part done in a couple of hours, I got some lunch and was told oh those all shoulda been set up in a few hours and I'm thinking why am I getting timed A and if you can do it so fast why am I assigned to it B and C this is obviously **** people don't prefer to do but has to be done so why are you kicking me while I'm down... Who wants to set up 18 stations solo with phones dual display computers etc...

Anyways I notified the offsite manager since there is no real manager on site and he sympathized with me and told me he'll let the interim team lead know to cool down on the expectations, then I was called back and asked about some hearsay where I told someone I'm,a software not hardware guy which is false I never stated that so not sure I think the only other tech who does work hard though came up with it he's an older gentlemen about 55 he works hard but you can tell screws loose he's always on the move and the interim team lead told me he always acts up around new guys and many have came and left 

Setting up 18 desktops is a lot to do in one day, so I can see your concern.  I have done a few deployment projects and things can be pretty crazy, because there are a lot of tight deadlines and a tight budget.

Did you ask your lead how many they expect you to set up in one day?  Sometimes there are tricks involved that will help you set them up faster.

Anyways I notified the offsite manager since there is no real manager on site and he sympathized with me and told me he'll let the interim team lead know to cool down on the expectations, then I was called back and asked about some hearsay where I told someone I'm,a software not hardware guy which is false I never stated that so not sure I think the only other tech who does work hard though came up with it he's an older gentlemen about 55 he works hard but you can tell screws loose he's always on the move and the interim team lead told me he always acts up around new guys and many have came and left 

This place supposedly had a 17 year veteran handling the building his self with little help but quit due to burn out overload and left the place kinda outa wack... I'm going to dinner with the interim team lead to try to smooth the team out but also I'm going to the other building tomorrow to get some training from a different tech I was told he will train on the regular stuff lime refreshes backups etc

Anyhow. I want to keep my job it's conveniently located, puts a little cash in my pocket and I'm so sick of job hopping because short shitty runs in shitty companies but it seems like it's always what I find..
     Who can advise me on how to keep my job

To keep your job do the following for starters during dinner:

1)

Ask your lead who is on the team and what they do.   It's a good idea to know all of your teammates.  Also, ask your lead if there is a secret to keep the 55 year old calmed down.  It sounds like he's the biggest threat to your position.   I honestly think he feels threatened that someone younger and smarter will come in and take his job.  You guys don't have to be friends, but you do need to work together.

2) 

Really limit what you say to others.  I have learned that news travels fast, but bad news travels even faster!

When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • AODITAODIT Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
    On a brighter note I just got A+ certified before the deadline and I've been getting training from a different tech who is more experienced and layed back. Most of the training is the little stuff that is big like tracking the computer assets on tickets for new computers or computers that are going to be sent back to leasing or break fix. Some of it is deploying and setting up windows 10 machines, wiping drives before shipping, and just easy fixes for common tickets at the company. I want to stay and learn what I can here and progress both through certs and experience, any advice?
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    AODIT said:
    . I want to stay and learn what I can here and progress both through certs and experience, any advice?
    Please see my comment above.   :)
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
    This guy has been a tech at this location for years and I can hear the frustration in his tone lol so I just want to learn what I can get a few bucks and move on and up.. quick question what's the best direction for me certs wise and career wise I want to know a bit of everything and manage projects in the future 
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It really depends on what you want to do.  Figure out what you want to do next, look at the job postings for that type of position and see what certs they are asking for, and then start working one one of the certs.  You sound like you’re just starting out, so if the job postings are asking for an expert level certification just focus on the entry level cert for whatever cert they are asking for.
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Do they offer any kind of education/training reimbursement plan? I'd let that guide me on which cert to go for. If not, choose a cert that compliments technologies you happen to have access to at this job. It sounds like you get to put your hands on many different types of things and this is an advantage where you might want to just toughen up about things not being perfect to demonstrate on your resume/cv that you can hold a job for more than a few weeks.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
    edited July 2019
    Well this is a level 2 support role, I'm not quiet just starting out I got my first help desk role back in 2010. Anyhow I plan to accelerate my development process and probably go with the network +, any one disagree with that choice? 😁
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Network+ after A+ is how I did it and I'd do it again in that order given the choice to go back in time.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Take note of the vendors that the company uses for their IT assets.  Dell, HP, Microsoft, Cisco, etc.  Then, ask the lead if there is any vendor-specific training available.  A lot of vendors throw their training videos and documentation in as a sweetener to get companies to purchase their tech or services.  They might even included free exam vouchers, as well.  Always approach it from the position that you are trying to learn as much as you can about their products so that you can support your employer better.  By pursuing that training, to go with the experience you are getting, you will set yourself up for greater opportunities in the future.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
    Ok communicating with this older disgruntled tech is like pulling teeth, supposedly it's just for the training. This guy has been at this same level for 14 years and gets frustrated pretty quick particularly with the software stuff. Here and there he'll tell me something a little out of pocket and shows no patience for questions I have. He wants to sit in silence and barely discuss work issues, and just has this sad, monotone demeanor..... Advice?
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Finish the network + and try to touch/use/learn as much as you can at your current job. If you don't start to like it as time goes on plan for the kind of job you do want.

When you do leave don't move sideways. Look for a challenge in your next position.

Good Luck!
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    AODIT said:
    Ok communicating with this older disgruntled tech is like pulling teeth, supposedly it's just for the training. This guy has been at this same level for 14 years and gets frustrated pretty quick particularly with the software stuff.
    14 years at the same position? I can see if he was topped out in his career, but 14 years as a PC tech is just begging to get laid off sooner or later.  I can say I'm pretty much topped out career level wise, the next step up is management, not something I have a lot of interest in pursuing.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.