Everyone Full Mailbox Rights?

royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
permissionscc4.jpg

Where is this being inherited by and why was Everyone set to Full Mailbox rights? I've tried searching Google but haven't found any pertinent information. Any help would be much appreciated.
“For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks

Comments

• LukeQuakeLukeQuake Member Posts: 579 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is this on an Exchange server 2000 box? Sounds like some nut has set NTFS permissions on the M drive! :) It's a nightmare to fix, the company that installed our exchange box did it (before I joined) and there isn't an each way around it that I can find!
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sorry, I should have stated this in the original post.

It's on my virtual server. I have not modified any of the permissions on the mailboxes since I don't even know what parent object I would modify to get the Everyone permission pushed down to the clients.

Software specs are Exchange 2003 Enterprise Sp2 on Windows Server 2003 Enterprise running R2/Sp1 all hotfixes installed.
  • LukeQuakeLukeQuake Member Posts: 579 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Seen as you can't find the permission anywhere within System Manager, it sounds like the permission has been set on the mailboxes directly within the file structure (like my 2000 issue). Hmmm, I didn't think you could do this in 2K3 as they got rid of the M drive? - Lemme have a play around on my server tomorrow and ill come back to you.
    See the thing is, it's like this on everyone's mailbox. *shrugs*
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ***Taking stab in the dark*** icon_wink.gif

Exchange handles permissions in a couple of ways as I understand it. One is what you see, the standard ACL's on the NTFS side. It inherits these rights form the "mailbox store" which is one big file that everyone must have rights to or they couldn't have an Exchange account. The other, however, is based on client access - in other words is the data being access through a client program such as Outlook. To view these permissions you can use Exchange Administrative tools or just open Outlook as the user. Right click on any folder (Inbox, Calendar, etc) and go to properties. You should see the "default" rights for various users. Should be "none".

I hope I explained that right... Johan was an Exchange expert consultant prior to becoming the Webmaster - maybe he can shed some light on it. Unfortunately we still use 5.5 - and should be moving to 2003 later this year.
    All things are possible, only believe.
    Well I seemed to fix the problem. I went on the mailbox store, removed inheritance, and removed permissions. I re-inherited, and now the mailbox does not have full mailbox rights for everyone and works as it should. It's weird though, I wonder how the Everyone group got extra permissions on the mailbox store level to grant the Everyone group full mailbox access.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What do the permissions show now? Make sure you send an email to the account too, and see what they are then.
    All things are possible, only believe.
    I used the mailbox that was having issues by sending mail, receiving mail, etc.. The permissions stayed the same after it was fixed; a good thing.

mailoq9.jpg