GISP or GSLC

ibrahimalshaeribrahimalshaer Member Posts: 2 ■■□□□□□□□□
Dears, 
I'm not sure weather GISP or GSLC better for Information Security Management/IT Security Management 
I believe GSLC should be fit to the leadership and management level, kindly advice. 

Regards, 
Tagged:

Answers

• NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The GISP is pretty much GIAC's lesser known and more expensive equivalent to the CISSP.   Unless your work is paying for it I can't imagine anyone going for it.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I'm a SANS/GIAC fanboi but have never been able to get onboard with the GISP. Just to complicate things, also remember that GSTRT is out there.

Interesting enough, I got accepted to do the work study for the "MGT414: SANS Training Program for CISSP® Certification" course this month and part of the work study program is I get to take the GISP cert. So hopefully will be adding it to my resume soon :P
    NetworkNewb Was that your first choice for work study?
    Nah, I want to say it was my 3rd choice if remember right.    I'll take it though, I need to finish that CISSP cert and this will get my butt moving on it.
    That makes sense. I read your signature as you already having the CISSP and got confused. I'm not too bright :-)
  • nevermorenevermore Member Posts: 39 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If your employer is willing to pay for you to take the GISP and you feel like preparing and sitting for it, go ahead and do it.  Being someone who currently holds the GISP, I would not pay for it out of my own pocket.  As others have stated the CISSP carries the weight in the industry and it will be a rarity that you would see GISP listed on a job posting over the CISSP.  Nor do I feel you see any significant increase in salary by having the GISP.  Not worth the investment with your personal funds to get it IMO.  My employer covered the exam expenses to take it so I went ahead and took advantage of it.  I pursued it to establish credentials with GIAC.

I sat for the GISP about two weeks after sitting/passing the CISSP exam.  I did not prepare an index and sat for it primarily relying on my prior study for the CISSP.  I did take my SANS books along and referenced them a handful of times during the exam.  Content the same, slightly different spin on the questions.

The CISM and ISSMP are very similar and both focus on InfoSec Management.  I passed both 4 days apart from one another and used the CISM material from ISACA to prepare for both.
    Obtained:
    • CISSP/ISSAP/ISSMP, CISM, GISP, CEH
    • M.S. Information Security and Assurance Norwich University
    • B.S. Cybersecurity UMUC
    In Queue: PMP, CCSP, CRISC

• ibrahimalshaeribrahimalshaer Member Posts: 2 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you guys, i have decided to go for GSLC for now as I'm already have CISM-ISACA. in addition, it seems GISP is not available for the time being. 
  • BillHooBillHoo Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    nevermore said:
    If your employer is willing to pay for you to take the GISP and you feel like preparing and sitting for it, go ahead and do it.  Being someone who currently holds the GISP, I would not pay for it out of my own pocket.  As others have stated the CISSP carries the weight in the industry and it will be a rarity that you would see GISP listed on a job posting over the CISSP.  Nor do I feel you see any significant increase in salary by having the GISP.  Not worth the investment with your personal funds to get it IMO.  My employer covered the exam expenses to take it so I went ahead and took advantage of it.  I pursued it to establish credentials with GIAC.

I sat for the GISP about two weeks after sitting/passing the CISSP exam.  I did not prepare an index and sat for it primarily relying on my prior study for the CISSP.  I did take my SANS books along and referenced them a handful of times during the exam.  Content the same, slightly different spin on the questions.

The CISM and ISSMP are very similar and both focus on InfoSec Management.  I passed both 4 days apart from one another and used the CISM material from ISACA to prepare for both.

So, the differences I have found between SANS/GIAC Training and exams is that the exam questions are usually text for text right out of the courseware.

ISC2 and CISSP, the exam questions tend to be Here is the question, here are the possible answers.  Some, or all of the answers are correct.  But you are supposed to pic THE MOST CORRECT ANSWER.

Do they address that in the GISP course?  Did you do any of the SANS practice tests?  Were they a good prep for the CISSP?

• nevermorenevermore Member Posts: 39 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I did utilize the practice tests provided by GIAC.  It has been a few years since I studied for and took the exam so I do not remember if the questions took a similar approach to the CISSP (two wrong, two correct, one of those two being the best answer).  I do remember the GISP practice questions helping to enforce the concepts but not necessarily helpful for CISSP prep.  There was other sources (such as Eric Conrad's test banks) that were more reflective of the CISSP exam and were more helpful IMO.
    Obtained:
    • CISSP/ISSAP/ISSMP, CISM, GISP, CEH
    • M.S. Information Security and Assurance Norwich University
    • B.S. Cybersecurity UMUC
    In Queue: PMP, CCSP, CRISC