Passed ICND1

jasojaso Member Posts: 40 ■■■□□□□□□□
This was a very pleasant surprise for me. I haven't seen anything regarding ICND1 for like 4 months and prepared for couple of hours yesterday and the day before, still was able to pass with 884 (had to take the exam because of expiring voucher from NetAcad). I guess I was lucky for the test (just two very easy sims) and questions that were truly ugly (like know all types of this command output) I was able to solve based on pure logic (like dynamically means automatically and statically means manually or by eliminating the really stupid answers etc).

I was playing with the thought of doing the exam for like 2 years (more or less studying for it), while studying hard for like 5 months. I used:
  • Official cert guide (Odom)
  • NetAcad Introduction to Networks (first half is boring like hell if you know something)
  • NetAcad Routing and Switching Essentials
I would really recommend the NetAcad courses - I think this is the best way of learning what Cisco will want to know from you. Some topics are not touched even in the Official cert guide and you will get very strong knowledge regarding the basics.

Overall not sure if I'm happy since Cisco is going to make the CCNA level easy (planned to do CCNA:S and RS on top of my CyberOps).

Good luck to everybody.

Comments

• Infosec_SamInfosec_Sam Admin Posts: 527 Admin
    Congratulations on the pass! Just as an FYI - Cisco will be retiring the ICND1/2 exams in February, so if you're thinking about taking that second exam for the CCNA, you'll want to do that sooner rather than later. Here's a thread that talks about the upcoming changes. I'm actually in your same position: currently holding a CCENT but needing the ICND2 to get the CCNA - I loved the netacad stuff too, so I'll probably end up sticking with that!
    Community Manager at Infosec!
    Who we are | What we do
  • diablo911diablo911 Member Posts: 36 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @Infosec_Sam , what does that mean retiring the icnd1/2. There being updated so new material is going to be added for them ?

• PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    @diablo911 Cisco is retiring the CCENT program, and the lowest tier will be CCNA.  This is effective February 24, 2020.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • jasojaso Member Posts: 40 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yea and the new CCNA will be a mix across their CCNA level of exams - little bit of rs, WLAN, Security and DevNet... That was what I meant by making the CCNA easier.
  • SpiegelSpiegel Member Posts: 322 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats! Get that ICND2 quick and good luck.
    Degree: WGU B.S. Network Operations and Security [COMPLETE]
    Current Certs: A+ | N+ | S+ | Cloud Essentials+ | Project+ | MTA: OSF | CIW: SDA | ITIL: F | CCENT | CCNA R&S | CCNA | LPI Linux Essentials
    Currently Working On: JNCIA-MistAI

2022 Goals: JNCIA-MistAI [ ]
    Future Certs: CCNP Enterprise
    jaso said:
    Yea and the new CCNA will be a mix across their CCNA level of exams - little bit of rs, WLAN, Security and DevNet... That was what I meant by making the CCNA easier.
    Ahh, gotcha. Yeah, I'm not sure if I want to delve into higher level CCNP stuff, so I figure the ICND2 is going to be a better option for me to just check the networking box with the CCNA. Depending on how long you want to wait and how many Cisco certs you want, it might be beneficial to hold off on the CCNA until next year so you can get accustomed to the new format.
    Who we are | What we do
  • ernest_17ernest_17 Member Posts: 8 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey guys I'm currently studying for my ICND1. I'm taking an online course at NexGent.com and so far so good. Have you guys heard about this academy? I'm planning to take the exam at the end of Agust but my question is: Do you guys know where place it's better to practice with similar questions to the exam? I mean the same way to ask. The thing is, I've been looking for online sites that provide practice exams, but I always see reviews saying that.... "Too easy" , "this site it's not enough" " this is not the way cisco exams ask...." Any help will be appreciated
    Thank you guys🙏🏻
    ernest_17 said:
    Hey guys I'm currently studying for my ICND1. I'm taking an online course at NexGent.com and so far so good. Have you guys heard about this academy? I'm planning to take the exam at the end of Agust but my question is: Do you guys know where place it's better to practice with similar questions to the exam? I mean the same way to ask. The thing is, I've been looking for online sites that provide practice exams, but I always see reviews saying that.... "Too easy" , "this site it's not enough" " this is not the way cisco exams ask...." Any help will be appreciated
    Thank you guys🙏🏻
    The Boson pratice exams I feel are extremely close to how and what will be asked of you in the real exam. I can attest to that after taking ICND1 this past March and noticed how similar the practice exams were to the real thing.
    Current Certs: A+ | N+ | S+ | Cloud Essentials+ | Project+ | MTA: OSF | CIW: SDA | ITIL: F | CCENT | CCNA R&S | CCNA | LPI Linux Essentials

Thanks Spiegel!!! I'm from Florida. Do you know how can I get those Boson practice exams? If you could help me would be appreciated my friend. 
    http://boson.com/certification/ccent#practiceTab

The practice exam is $99. Its a bit pricey but I can tell you they're worth it. 

Thanks my friend I will buy it for sure!!!!!
  • Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! I found the ICND1 to be the harder of the two. 
    Fulcrum45 said:
    Congrats on the pass! I found the ICND1 to be the harder of the two. 
    Really? That's good to hear, as someone who passed ICND1 by the skin of my teeth. I feel pretty confident about trunking and dynamic routing - is that most of what's on the ICND2 exam?
    Who we are | What we do
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ernest_17 said:
    Hey guys I'm currently studying for my ICND1. I'm taking an online course at NexGent.com and so far so good. Have you guys heard about this academy?
    I like that it's 6 months long. I am little reserved that a person could become a "network engineer" in 6 months after studying for and gaining essentially a Network+ and a CCNA in this time frame. I dislike that they tease the notion you'll be banking with a $100k+ salary as a takeaway.

A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
    Well yoba222, I didn't buy the full stack network engineer. I only bought the ICND1 course and so far it has been really good for me. They cover a lot of materials and I think the way to explain is really good. Will see what happens😩😏
    @infosec_sam I'd say that makes up the majority of it. If you're comfortable with that you're PROBABLY good to go. Good luck!
  • LunchbocksLunchbocks Member Posts: 319 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on your pass!!!

I am hoping to take my ICND1 exam in 4 - 6 weeks.
    Degree: Liberty University - B.S Computer Science (In Progress)
    Current Certs: CCENT | MCTS | Network+
    Currently Working On: Security+
    2020 Goals: CCNA, CCNP Security, Linux+

edited August 2019
    Guysssss!!!!! I passed the ICND1 TODAY at 11AM. I'm super super happyyyy.... It was a really hard test I got 844. The BOSON practice exams were a really good tool on my preparation. So if you guys are planning to take the exam..... 100% recommended. I used the NextGent ICND1 and it was also really good. Now I have a question please if you can help me... My question is: My paper scores says that the grade it is not official until Cisco approved in 72 hours and the final grade could be changed..... Is it possible that they change my grade???? Because I'm superrrr HAPPYYYYY.... WOULD BE REALLY PAINFUL if they change it. 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭
  • Johnhe0414Johnhe0414 Registered Users Posts: 191 ■■■■■□□□□□
    ernest_17 said:
    Guysssss!!!!! I passed the ICND1 TODAY at 11AM. I'm super super happyyyy.... It was a really hard test I got 844. The BOSON practice exams were a really good tool on my preparation. So if you guys are planning to take the exam..... 100% recommended. I used the NextGent ICND1 and it was also really good. Now I have a question please if you can help me... My question is: My paper scores says that the grade it is not official until Cisco approved in 72 hours and the final grade could be changed..... Is it possible that they change my grade???? Because I'm superrrr HAPPYYYYY.... WOULD BE REALLY PAINFUL if they change it. 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭
    Congratulations on the pass!
    Current: Network+ | Project+ 
    Working on: PMP
  • deltzydeltzy Member Posts: 34 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ernest_17 said:
    Congratulations! Out of curiosity did you get many questions around obsecure "what is the command line syntax to do x" type questions? I'm also doing Boson and they are really good, makes you understand the underlying concepts. 
    CISSP | OSCP | CREST CRT & CPSA | CCSKv4 | SEC + | CCENT | CISMP | AZ-900
    In Progress: CCSP, AZ-500

ernest_17 said:
    Congrats on the pass! As far as the score is concerned I don't think I'd worry too much about them changing it. I'm sure it's just a way to give them an out for various reasons or should they discover a test taker was cheating afterwards.
    Congrats on the pass! Are you going to end up going for the ICND2 before the February cut-off, or are you going to stop here? 
    Who we are | What we do
    Thanksss guys!!!! I just studied for 2 months for the test and I was a beginner at that point. I'm doing Electrical Engineering at Florida International University but I have always been interested on Networking because I have a couple of friends working on this field. They encourage me to take the test so I bought a course on NextGent and also the Boson practice exams which is a really good tool. The questions of course are not the same but the interfaces and the way to ask is similar. @Infosec_Sam yes, of course I want to get the CCNA that is the goal. I don't think I'm gonna take the CCNP but of course CCNA before February 24 is the main Goal. So, please if you have recommendations about online courses or material to take the ICND2 would be really appreciated. Thanksss Guyssss!!!!##
  • ciscosoldierciscosoldier Member Posts: 11 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats, that's awesome. I am about a month away from taking the ICND exam. I Can't wait.

• Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!!
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
    Well guys after a week of celebration for my ICND1 hehehe I'm planning to start with the ICND2. Any online course suggestion??? Please let me know about the CBT Nuggets... People have been telling me that, it's really good. Also let me know about practice exams like BOSON. I don't know if Boson has exams for the ICND2. That was the best tool for the ICND1. I studied for the ICND1 at NextGent web which was really good but I got the course in promotion for only $10... But the ICND2 is $245...😥😥😥 So please any suggestion or advice will be really appreciated.
    Thanks in advanced Ernesto. 

On the other hand, if someone needs some help with the ICND1 don't hesitate on ask me. For sure I'll help without doubt.
    edited September 2019
    I have been using CBT Nuggets since the early Microsoft days, and it is a major resource for my CCENT studying I am doing right now. The best way I could explain CBT is that it teaches what you need to know like most of them, but then it shows you how to do it. So I use the Odum Official Cert Guide for the information, and CBT to learn how to perform and configure the tasks.

In addition, this time I am also using the CCNA Boot Camp from Chris Bryant on Udemy. Each resource teaches a little different, and all 3 combined seems to fill in all of the gaps. I am planning on testing in about 5 weeks.

If you can afford it, I highly recommend CBT Nuggets.

Good luck!

Thank you my friend!!! What make me curious is that at NexGent they have the course for the ICND2 and it has 50 hours of videos.... However, yesterday I was looking that CBT Nuggets ICND2 course has only 18 hours.... So i don't know.....
    I don't either. I know that looking at uDemy courses, the ICND2 courses seem to be smaller than ICND1. Maybe that's normal? I haven't looked too close as I am still preparing for ICND1, but I have gotten a few ICND2 courses free from uDemy by ordering certain ICND1 courses.