InfoSec CCENT/CCNA Bootcamp

pudgypudgy Member Posts: 8 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone,

I'm set to start the CCENT/CCNA bootcamp on July 8th, 2019 (a few days lol) and I've been studying and completing this pre-bootcamp practice work sent to me by Infosec. The assessment tests for the sections cover material not mentioned in the sections I'm completing... Hurting my faith in Infosec lol. I have 0 professional experience in IT or Networking and a light background in Web Development. So the hardware side of things is definitely different and has been pretty taxing mentally. I'm finding it near impossible to remember all these little details in this time frame and I'm feeling pretty daunted about all of this, especially the exams (ICND1/2). 

Anyone ever done this bootcamp? Or gone this route with a similar background?

Thanks,
Pudgy

Comments

• mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Bootcamps are nice and all, but a lot of times it's not enough to pass the exam especially if you are new to networking. Take the time to understand the material and do lots of labbing. Don't feel pressured to take the exam right after the bootcamp.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• pudgypudgy Member Posts: 8 ■■□□□□□□□□
    edited July 2019
    mikey88 said:
    Bootcamps are nice and all, but a lot of times it's not enough to pass the exam especially if you are new to networking. Take the time to understand the material and do lots of labbing. Don't feel pressured to take the exam right after the bootcamp.
    I understand, it's just that InfoSec says you have to take the exam within two weeks of the end of the class to have your exam retake guaranteed. I also need to complete their prep work or they won't allow me to reseat in the bootcamp should I fail the exam twice. 

Looking at the bootcamp and exams on a calendar, assuming I fail the exam twice and am eligible for a reseat: I'll be able to study 6 days in between end of class and exam attempt 1. Then again, 6 days between exam attempt 1 and exam attempt 2. 

If I fail exam attempt 2: July 29th is the bootcamp that'll most likely be my reseat. Rinse and repeat. So -- Idk, I'll just study my butt off lol. 
  • byron66byron66 Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How did it go? 
    CCNA   A+   N+  Sec+
    edited August 2019
    byron66 said:
    How did it go? 
    Hey,

So the instructor basically narrated slides. He elaborated a little on each one but mostly it was him reading slides to us, then we studied practice exams and we were told to do a few exercises in PacketTracer. I haven't heard from my cohort yet but I failed both exams at first attempt and one class mate failed their attempt. 

I volunteered to resit under the condition the instructor does labs, I need to actually DO not just read. I'll post after all is said and done this second go around.

I do want to say: InfoSec has been awesome and fair ... My instructor believed in his teaching method and I think he sucked. InfoSec has been fair and cool about all of this, my handler / representative / account manager has been amazing and fair. 
    I'm going Sept. 19-25, so I was curious. 
    CCNA   A+   N+  Sec+
  • Mr.Robot255Mr.Robot255 Member Posts: 196 ■■■□□□□□□□
    edited August 2019
    Sounds more like a d-ump camp. No labbing for CCNA seems dodgy to me. I can watch 300 hours of video (my preferred source to learn) but i still would have to actually do that same lab myself for it to for a proper bond in my mind.
    Sounds more like a d-ump camp. No labbing for CCNA seems dodgy to me. I can watch 300 hours of video (my preferred source to learn) but i still would have to actually do that same lab myself for it to for a proper bond in my mind.
    You're dead-on. I was studying hard before the bootcamp and then this guy basically did a 55 hour lecture for periods of 10 hours w/ breaks. It was beyond brutal for me. I can't handle crap like that plus I was told there would be hands on material, so I felt like my cramming theory would be followed up by guided Labs giving me a well rounded knowledge base. I was shocked when the instructor said "study the d-ump and pass the test". This instructor I am assigned to coming up is Henry Alonzo and he's not only funny but has a full hands on approach with appropriate deviations to drive concepts home through lecture/powerpoint -- I am looking forward to his class. 

Again -- I'm not knocking InfoSec but the instructor I was dealing with previously.

Any organization has these issues:
    - Military -- your commanding officer and unit make a huge difference in your experience.
    - College, High School etc...
    - Church...

Any and every organization that has a single reference point to their consumer base can be made to look bad.
  • lucky0977lucky0977 Member Posts: 218 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited August 2019
    I guess you had bad luck. I attended an Infosec Institute 7 day boot camp back in January and labs were included in the cost. The only problem I had with the course was that it was taught by a dude from India. With their heavy accent, someone in the class always needed to ask him to repeat certain things. The name of the labs were called "Cyber Range". When I log into my Infosec Institute account, I can see a recorded version of the class I attended so I can go back to areas I needed to review and there is also an additional tab named "Cyber Range", which are the labs we worked on each day in class.
    Bachelor of Science: Computer Science | Hawaii Pacific University
    CISSP | CISM | CISA | CASP | SSCP | Sec+ | Net+ | A+
    lucky0977 said:
    I guess you had bad luck. I attended an Infosec Institute 7 day boot camp back in January and labs were included in the cost. The only problem I had with the course was that it was taught by a dude from India. With their heavy accent, someone in the class always needed to ask him to repeat certain things. The name of the labs were called "Cyber Range". When I log into my Infosec Institute account, I can see a recorded version of the class I attended so I can go back to areas I needed to review and there is also an additional tab named "Cyber Range", which are the labs we worked on each day in class.
    My only issue with the Cyber Range is the stupid prompt that constantly interrupts as well as it's a foreign feeling environment. You don't get to see the devices, it's too abstract for me. I prefer the workflow of PacketTracer. I was surprised they even made Cyber Range when Packet Tracer is a relied on and free tool.
  • Infosec_SamInfosec_Sam Admin Posts: 527 Admin
    Hey pudgy, thanks for the honest feedback! Sorry the teaching style didn't match your learning style, but I'm glad that didn't discourage you from pressing on. I just sat in on the Security+ boot camp last week, and I totally get where you're coming from. I'm someone who can sit through hours of slides and lectures, and my brain was still feeling pretty fried by the end of the week. I can only imagine what a 7-day zero-to-CCNA boot camp would be like. I'm sure your second go-around will be a better experience, since you had such specific feedback for your rep. 

To offer my thoughts about the Cyber Range vs Packet Tracer, honestly I feel the same way about the abstraction. I know it's on the dev team's radar to get that improved, but bandwidth has been getting in the way. What I do really like Packet Tracer for, though, is the pentesting and Linux environments. Since those are much more naturally virtualized in the wild, I find it to be much easier to wrap my head around the abstraction. 

But hey, thanks for the feedback again, and good luck with your second go-around with the CCNA! We're rooting for you!
    Community Manager at Infosec!
    Who we are | What we do
    @Infosec_Sam Did you pass the security+? 
    CCNA   A+   N+  Sec+
    Hey pudgy, thanks for the honest feedback! Sorry the teaching style didn't match your learning style, but I'm glad that didn't discourage you from pressing on. I just sat in on the Security+ boot camp last week, and I totally get where you're coming from. I'm someone who can sit through hours of slides and lectures, and my brain was still feeling pretty fried by the end of the week. I can only imagine what a 7-day zero-to-CCNA boot camp would be like. I'm sure your second go-around will be a better experience, since you had such specific feedback for your rep. 

To offer my thoughts about the Cyber Range vs Packet Tracer, honestly I feel the same way about the abstraction. I know it's on the dev team's radar to get that improved, but bandwidth has been getting in the way. What I do really like Packet Tracer for, though, is the pentesting and Linux environments. Since those are much more naturally virtualized in the wild, I find it to be much easier to wrap my head around the abstraction. 

But hey, thanks for the feedback again, and good luck with your second go-around with the CCNA! We're rooting for you!
    Yo Sam! I just want to say: InfoSec has been stellar. I am not bashing nor discouraging anyone from giving InfoSec a go.

InfoSec has an exam guarantee policy in place to back up their efforts at providing a stellar track for their customers and the amazing customer service (my handler as I call her) included. I had a bummer experience, let my handler know and boom -- off to the races, she let me know InfoSec has my back, try my best and if at first I don't succeed InfoSec will help me try try again. Nothing shady has happened and I really like InfoSec.

No software/tool is perfect. Even PacketTracer crashes sometimes lol. Though I hope they get rid of that green thumbs up you have to manually click in CyberRange haha.

So again -- Sam, thank you for your kind and thorough response! I've enjoyed working with InfoSec and hope kinks get worked out and y'all keep succeeding.
    edited August 2019
    *** Would be cool: Instructors had profiles and got rated lol (seriously). I'd have loved to pick an instructor. Maybe even say "teaching style: hands on" "d-ump study/cram" 

I know your dev team has a full plate and everything but that would be pretty solid.
    byron66 said:
    I scheduled my exam for this coming Monday, so we'll see! I've been drilling the practice material since the boot camp ended, so I'm pretty confident that I'll pass, but I've still got my fingers crossed!
    Who we are | What we do
  • MrsWilliamsMrsWilliams Member Posts: 192 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited August 2019
    pudgy said:
     this guy basically did a 55 hour >-lecture<- for periods of 10 hours w/ breaks.   :D  :D  :D

I would have been in class sleep and asking for a refund the same day :|

byron66 said:
    Sorry for the delayed response - I passed the exam last Monday with an 803/900! I'm drafting up my full postmortem as we speak, and we're planning on whipping up a video review next week, so look out for those in the next few days!
    Who we are | What we do
    @Infosec_Sam I look forward to it. 
    CCNA   A+   N+  Sec+