AWS certs increase pay up to $12K a year

Swift6Swift6 Member Posts: 268 ■■■■□□□□□□
Cross-certifying on AWS is providing a $12K salary bump to IT professionals who already have Citrix and Red Hat/Linux certifications today.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/louiscolumbus/2019/07/28/aws-certifications-increase-tech-pay-up-to-12k-a-year

Tagged:

Comments

• cochi78cochi78 Member Posts: 72 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Never gave much on those studies, salaries just vary too much by region/culture, job and person. Statistics might claim such differences, but I've never seen it actually impact a salary (at least around here).
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    ^ what he said
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    What varies is an employer's policy to give a financial reward for an employee acquiring a cert or degree. I see this far more in governmental departments than in the private sector, where non-financial rewards are much more common.
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    edited August 2019
    The Forbes article cites Global Knowledge. Global Knowledge are the same monkeys that came to the conclusion in 2016 that while CCNP holders make on average $101k, CCNA holders actually make more at $107k. I wouldn't wipe my a$$ with a Global Knowledge report and for me this has lowered the level of trust that I place in Forbes. I think Global Knowledge must have realized how incompetent their report must have made them look and this 2019 report doesn't seems to have any smoking gun idiot conclusions like in the past I must admit.

I kid you not though:
    https://www.globalknowledge.com/us-en/resources/resource-library/articles/15-top-paying-certifications-for-2016/

EDIT: Okay it was probably less about incompetency and more about manipulating data in a way that inclines people to go out and seek certification and training so they might obtain salaries that are a bit of a lie. An unknowing person might conclude from what Global Knowledge concluded that having an ITIL foundation cert yields a $99k salary. This to me is sleazy and manipulative. Though way, way less sleazy in its 2019 version.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    edited August 2019
    yoba222 said:
    The Forbes article cites Global Knowledge. 

Reading between the lines: Global Knowledge is a for profit training company which makes the Forbes "article" heavily biased and nothing more than a marketing ad.  IMO Forbes is closer to a blog than a new outlet with some sense of journalism standards.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
    Many "survey" articles are just marketing material used to drive traffic to a product vendor's website. Polling and survey results can be reported in any way to make it say whatever you want.
  • Swift6Swift6 Member Posts: 268 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks all for you input. There is a commercial gain to publishers of these articles and surveys.
    In reality, salaries vary significantly.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    edited August 2019
    Isn't there like 10 different AWS certs?  Thats like over 100k a year increase possibility!   :open_mouth:
  • mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    JDMurray said:
    What varies is an employer's policy to give a financial reward for an employee acquiring a cert or degree. I see this far more in governmental departments than in the private sector, where non-financial rewards are much more common.
    Like a pat on the back? Overall, I do believe that certs increase value and that equates to higher salaries. It varies greatly of-course. 
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

Non-financial rewards include opportunities to attend conferences and special events, recognition and leadership awards, and completed training hours.
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    mikey88 said:
    JDMurray said:
    Like a pat on the back? Overall, I do believe that certs increase value and that equates to higher salaries. It varies greatly of-course. 

I rarely talk to folks about certs for the sake of certs anymore and vice-a-versa, particularly when recruiters come a calling or have I missed something important?