Options

AWS - CSAA Advice

StrikingInfluencerStrikingInfluencer Member Posts: 38 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey everyone,

I've got a question about the AWS Certified Solutions Architect Associate and I'd love some advice from other members.  This cert really caught my attention because even though I work in InfoSec - our company like many others are slowly starting to become more and more integrated with the cloud and I wanted to learn about AWS specifically because I've heard great things about their cert path and they are kind of the major player for us.  

Anyways, I got the udemy course and finished that it was the aCloudGuru course and I've also started reading the AWS - CSAA Official Study Guide I got on Amazon.  I seem to do OKAY on the practice questions but not as good as I would hope to pass this exam.  It seems like a lot of the questions are poorly written in this book (in the chapters the answers are labeled 1,2,3 and 4 and in the index it's ABCD LOL).  However, I'm also wondering if it's just my overall lack of any cloud experience or exposure.  Has anyone else here obtained the CSAA with no prior cloud knowledge?  Is it reasonable or should I go lower?  Also any better study or practice resources are highly appreciated.  

Comments

• Options
    Azt7Azt7 Member Posts: 121 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited August 2019
    I have the CSAA and about 7 years of experience in Cloud technologies. A Cloud Guru was my main resource too, I passed the exam 2 years ago so others might be more helpful on this front

It wouldn't hurt for you to have the CSAA but given your background, I believe you would be fine if you went lower. 

The Cloud Practitioner certification could be just fine : it would show that you are familiar with AWS Services and that you have a solid foundation in AWS. 

Unless you're going to be an actual Security administrator / DevSecOps wizard, you should be just fine with the Cloud Practitioner. 
    Certifications : ITIL, MCSA Office 365, MCSE Productivity, AWS CSAA, Azure Architect, CCSK, TOGAF
    Studying for :  TBD
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    edited August 2019
    I passed back in June. 

Aside from ACG, these are an absolute MUST: https://www.udemy.com/aws-certified-solutions-architect-associate-amazon-practice-exams/
    Tutorials Dojo AWS Study Sheets: AWS Study Sheets

No better money spent than on Jon Bonso's practice exams. They are similar to the real thing, slightly more difficult, and the explanations are amazingly in-depth.

Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    Azt7 said:
    I have the CSAA and about 7 years of experience in Cloud technologies. A Cloud Guru was my main resource too, I passed the exam 2 years ago so others might be more helpful on this front

It wouldn't hurt for you to have the CSAA but given your background, I believe you would be fine if you went lower. 

The Cloud Practitioner certification could be just fine : it would show that you are familiar with AWS Services and that you have a solid foundation in AWS. 

Unless you're going to be an actual Security administrator / DevSecOps wizard, you should just fine with the Cloud Practitioner. 
    Hmm fair point.  I guess I didn't think of the CCP as it didn't really cross my mind as an option.  Might not be a bad idea to take a step back as mentioned I have no real cloud experience and it's not part of my daily job function.  This is mostly just to stay up-to-date and keep relevant and diverse skill sets.  
  • Options
    JoJoCal19 said:
    I passed back in June. 

Aside from ACG, these are an absolute MUST: https://www.udemy.com/aws-certified-solutions-architect-associate-amazon-practice-exams/

No better money spent than on Jon Bonso's practice exams. They are similar to the real thing, slightly more difficult, and the explanations are amazingly in-depth.

I think you meant to link to the udemy practice tests?  https://www.udemy.com/aws-certified-solutions-architect-associate-amazon-practice-exams/?couponCode=SIDEBAR-ASSOC

How much AWS exposure did you have before attempting the AWS - CSAA??  Any real world experience?  I see you also have the CCP.  Is CCP better to attempt first and then do CSAA?  
  • Options
    cochi78cochi78 Member Posts: 72 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would not recommend the Practitioner. That exam isn't regarded to be a certification with most people I talk to and is more targeted towards sales/marketing (aka non-technicians). I'd even go so far to say, it does show you have no solid background with AWS.

On the other hand, the Solution Architect Associate is well recognized. ACloudGuru is often recommended here, while me + my colleagues tend more towards LinuxAcademy. Their course might be a bit more on the dry side, but is better structured and focused. Plus they have real labs in sandbox environments with grading of the tasks.

For practice tests I heard of Tutorials Dojo only lately, but tend to point people towards Whizlabs still. They have a big set of questions which are on the same level as the actual exams and even explain the reasons for why an answer'd be right (and why it'd be wrong). Plus, they have very responsive support.

Disclaimer: I've been an accredited AWS trainer for more than three years now, so some statements might be biased.
  • Options
    Azt7Azt7 Member Posts: 121 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cochi78 said:
    I would not recommend the Practitioner. That exam isn't regarded to be a certification with most people I talk to and is more targeted towards sales/marketing (aka non-technicians). I'd even go so far to say, it does show you have no solid background with AWS.

On the other hand, the Solution Architect Associate is well recognized. 
    Fair point on the perception about the cloud practitioner for tech guys like us. That hasn't been the feedback on my side especially since AWS  has actual sales certifications for their partners and VARs.

If you want to have prove hands-on experience and be able to stand out on technical matters , definitely go CSAA. 

If you just want to show a basic knowledge of AWS / just have an AWS cert to your name, the Practitioner is a decent thing to look at. 

It's all about perspective and what your end goal is. 
    Certifications : ITIL, MCSA Office 365, MCSE Productivity, AWS CSAA, Azure Architect, CCSK, TOGAF
    Studying for :  TBD
  • Options
    JoJoCal19 said:
    I passed back in June. 

I think you meant to link to the udemy practice tests?  https://www.udemy.com/aws-certified-solutions-architect-associate-amazon-practice-exams/?couponCode=SIDEBAR-ASSOC

How much AWS exposure did you have before attempting the AWS - CSAA??  Any real world experience?  I see you also have the CCP.  Is CCP better to attempt first and then do CSAA?  
  • Options
    JoJoCal19 said:
    I passed back in June.