Options

In a Weird Situation What Should I Do!

greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□

I work for a school where there are a team of 20 IT persons at the main office. I work at one of the remote offices where it was just me and my boss. I work as a computer tech and (N+, MCSA, CCNA,) are some of my skill sets/certs. A few months back my boss passed away leaving me as the sole IT person for the office of about 600 persons to support.

It has been 4 months since my boss's passing and I have heard next to nothing from Hr, I heard from my director once, my work load has tripped since since his passing, I now have 2 remote offices I am expected to manage and have heard next to nothing from hr as to when a replacement technician will be hired or if I will get a pay raise now that all of the work load has fallen to me. What Should I do?

:
Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.

Comments

• Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Document. The key is ensuring you communicate in a way that management finds useful. If you have a ticketing system, go dig for how long tickets took to handle six months ago and contrast that with today.
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Also document which jobs you've been applying for in a spreadsheet or similar.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Look for another job!
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Have you asked more than once? If you don't ask/complain, in their eyes there's no problem because you can handle the load and therefore zero incentive to expedite replacing the boss.
  • Options
    MrNetTekMrNetTek Member Posts: 100 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited November 2019
    @greg9891

I tend to agree with cyberguypr. If you don't ask HR, don't complain. If you have asked, but HR is ignoring you, then....quietly update your resume with everything you have learned, any new skills you have acquired, and just move on. In either case, don't be unhappy. People who possess current IT skills can go almost anywhere; we are never trapped.

I once moved for a job, but the manager was so abrasive, six months later, I turned in my letter of resignation. He couldn't believe it. Well, the story is this, managers and companies that place themselves above the talent, are in for a rude awakening. I don't stay where I'm not happy, and neither should you. 

-MrNetTek at your service-
  • Options
    Have you asked more than once? If you don't ask/complain, in their eyes there's no problem because you can handle the load and therefore zero incentive to expedite replacing the boss.
    I agree good point. But I have just sent something in writing about it so I am waiting! but the resume is getting updated as we speak.

:
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Options
    @MrNetTek

Glad to see that I wasn't wrong in my thinking. Well said!
    :