501 passed...

abramsgunnerabramsgunner Member Posts: 31 ■■■□□□□□□□
edited June 2019 in Security+
I passed the 301 test back in 2013 and was working on renewing it with the CASP, but life got in the way and my Sec+ expired.    Fast forward to 2019 and I decided I wanted to renew and it would be easier to take the 501 than try for the more advanced tests.   

I've been a tech at a small shop dealing with small business clients for the last 18 years, but our clients are small enough that we don't deal directly with most Sec+ subjects all that often.  That makes it tough to retain the details, but I have an interest in the material so I enjoy studying it when I have the time and energy.

As most have done, I digested Darril's 501 book the same way I did with his 401 book and was scoring 90% or better on all the free practice tests I could find.  I skipped Messer's vids this go-round, although I watched them all before taking the 301 a hundred years ago. I also have been a Security Now podcast listener for many years... which helps keep my vocabulary up to date.

Good news.. scored 817 and am now Sec+ again.

Bad news....  Holy  #$@*+,  COMPTIA tests have evolved while I was away.

I honestly felt I guessed on half the questions (educated guess).  The material was familiar enough, but the format of most of the practice exam questions I took felt terribly out of date compared to the actual questions.  The modern questions are much more geared to applying the knowledge than knowing the definitions.  That's a good thing, but I felt very unprepared and was seriously concerned about throwing $300+ on the floor..   LOL

All I can say is.....  Do Darril's labs, play with the software tools, read some log files, and sleep with your book under your pillow!

Best of luck..

Abramsgunner
A+, Net +, Server+, Sec+, Sonicwall CSSA, Lenovo Server and Thinkcentre

Comments

• Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!!!
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • unrealbeachbumunrealbeachbum Member Posts: 3 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • D20D20 Member Posts: 124 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! I'm taking mine in September and......honestly I'm scared. hahahaha! Like you I have the Darril Gibson book I have been going through and I'm about to purchase his online content and go through that as well.
    Certifications: A+ Sec+ isc(2) CC Google Cybersecurity Certification 2024 Goals: Pass the Network+ Exam
  • MrNetTekMrNetTek Member Posts: 100 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited August 2019
    Congrats!

Good to know about CompTIA exams. It's been a while since I've taken one as well. 

-MrNetTek at your service-

LinkedIn  Tumblr  Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Mix  My Blog
  • rhw123rhw123 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on passing, I would love to know more about the "software tools" you mention if you wouldn't mind elaborating.  I hav ebeen looking for virtual labs geared toward the Security+ 501 exam and so far have come up empty.  Thanks in advance.
    Resrectfully,  Robert
  • malachi1612malachi1612 Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited August 2019
    Does anyone lab for these exams?  I read some people only study the material, take the exam and pass.

Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.