Options

CCNA Security - what hardware to buy?

2URGSE2URGSE Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
First of all, I was R/S certified in the past (2015 and it expired).  I did notice that Cisco launched many different products since 2015, none of which I have direct experience with.

Back in the days, I failed my R/S until I purchased a lab so I am trying to fall back on the tried and true methods of investing in some used equipment and doing labs in addition to the theories in the book.

Per the following link:

• SIEM Technology
  • Cloud & Virtual Network Topologies
  • BYOD, Bring Your Own Device
  • Identity Services Engine (ISE)
  • 802.1x Authentication
  • Cisco FirePOWER Next Generation IPS (under Domain 6.0)
  • Anti-Malware/Cisco Advanced Malware Protection

I see the exam will expire February 2020, since my CCENT is active, perhaps this is a good time to get back on track and earn another CCNA. (and leverage from there)

What is the best piece of equipment to buy per the above topics?  I am aware of some licensing issues, but hopefully I can get by with something.

A+
Network+
CCENT (formally CCNA certified)
ICE (Imprivata Certified Engineer)

Comments

• Options
    GngoghGngogh Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi 2urgesi,

U need to make a big investment if u want to buy hardware like Cisco Ise and firepower + licenses. Have u look at the sandboxes available on cisco devnet?

Happy labing

• Options
    bhsbhs Registered Users Posts: 5 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @Gngogh
    Can you give us some more details on using Cisco Devnet for labbing? Thank you so mich!
  • Options
    2URGSE2URGSE Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes, seems like a big investment.  I have been spending a lot of time on CBT Nuggets.   Keith Barker claims it is actually beneficial to pursue a non vendor related cert like Comptia Security + first, so I've added that to my course list.

I've seen the ASA 550X series on eBay, around $300 or so.   I have my 2950 switches and a few routers from previous years when I was doing my CCNA R+S.
    A+
    Network+
    CCENT (formally CCNA certified)
    ICE (Imprivata Certified Engineer)