Taking my test in September

D20D20 Member Posts: 124 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi everyone,
Well i am scheduling my test for September. I'm close to the point of feeling comfortable with all the material. I have gone through the Professor Messer videos, most of the 501 Udemy videos, I have read the Darril Gibson book, bought his phone app and have gone through it and frequently test myself, bought his online material and have gone through all the tests (making at least 85% or higher), I also have the MeasureUp 501 test questions (I made a 77% last time i tested with that). I have found areas i need to study more on to make up for where i don't understand 100%. 

I'm not sure why, but i really don't ever feel like I am ready for the test despite all that i have gone through to study. I did the above with my A+ test and just barely passed those. I also get test anxiety REALLY bad.

Just wanted to share that i think I am ready though and I am scheduling my test today for late September.

I really hope I pass...it has been a long 8 months of studying!
Certifications: A+ Sec+ isc(2) CC Google Cybersecurity Certification 2024 Goals: Pass the Network+ Exam

Comments

• 2URGSE2URGSE Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    From experience, I would rather score at least 85% on the practice exam until going for the real exam.
    A+
    Network+
    CCENT (formally CCNA certified)
    ICE (Imprivata Certified Engineer)
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    At some point I always question the cost of additional training.

1 - materials such as books and practice tests.
    2 - my actual time.

In all honesty I think it is cheaper to take the test before you are fully prepared and accept you will fail a few of them.
  • 2URGSE2URGSE Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Jon_Cisco said:
    At some point I always question the cost of additional training.

1 - materials such as books and practice tests.
    2 - my actual time.

In all honesty I think it is cheaper to take the test before you are fully prepared and accept you will fail a few of them.

By all means. I failed my CCNA twice before passing it.   

I am actually on the CCNA Security Track now, but I don't have hands on with the Cisco ASA, ISE or FirePower so I'm not sure how things will go but in the meantime I started on the Comptia Security + since it's a non vendor related cert.

A+
    Network+
    CCENT (formally CCNA certified)
    ICE (Imprivata Certified Engineer)
  • D20D20 Member Posts: 124 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I appreciate all the feedback everyone! I can understand that failing and messing up is a part of life and sometime it is good as we learn from our failures/mistakes. 
    I'm still on track for the end of September as of now. 
    Certifications: A+ Sec+ isc(2) CC Google Cybersecurity Certification 2024 Goals: Pass the Network+ Exam
  • SpiegelSpiegel Member Posts: 322 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Good luck on the exam! You got this B)
    Degree: WGU B.S. Network Operations and Security [COMPLETE]
    Current Certs: A+ | N+ | S+ | Cloud Essentials+ | Project+ | MTA: OSF | CIW: SDA | ITIL: F | CCENT | CCNA R&S | CCNA | LPI Linux Essentials
    Currently Working On: JNCIA-MistAI

2022 Goals: JNCIA-MistAI [ ]
    Future Certs: CCNP Enterprise
  • Infosec_SamInfosec_Sam Admin Posts: 527 Admin
    Keep up the good work - we're rooting for you!

Just a word of advice: familiarize yourself with the simulation questions you might see on the exam. Those are worth far more points than the multiple choice, and tend to make or break an exam attempt. To help fight test anxiety, try taking practice exams with a timer (if you haven't already). Then go back and answer any questions you missed, and go all the way through it again. After I did this a couple of times, I felt much more comfortable with the format going into the real exam.

Again, good luck, and keep us posted with your progress!
    Community Manager at Infosec!
    Who we are | What we do
  • bjpeterbjpeter Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    edited August 2019
    D20 said:
    Hi everyone,
    Well i am scheduling my test for September. I'm close to the point of feeling comfortable with all the material. I have gone through the Professor Messer videos, most of the 501 Udemy videos, I have read the Darril Gibson book, bought his phone app and have gone through it and frequently test myself, bought his online material and have gone through all the tests (making at least 85% or higher), I also have the MeasureUp 501 test questions (I made a 77% last time i tested with that). I have found areas i need to study more on to make up for where i don't understand 100%. 

I'm not sure why, but i really don't ever feel like I am ready for the test despite all that i have gone through to study. I did the above with my A+ test and just barely passed those. I also get test anxiety REALLY bad.

Just wanted to share that i think I am ready though and I am scheduling my test today for late September.

Did you buy the voucher that comes with a free retake from CompTIA’s website?
    2021 Goals (2): SSCP, eCPPT
    Achieved (27): Certified Associate in Python Programming, Microsoft Certified: Azure Fundamentals, PenTest+, Project+, CySA+, Flutter Certified Application Developer, OCP Java EE 7 Application Developer, CCSP, OCP Java SE 11 Developer, CISSP, Linux+/LPIC-1, CCSKv4, OCE Java EE 6 JPA Developer, CSSLP, Server+, Cloud+, Arcitura Certified Cloud Professional, CASP+, Mobility+, Storage+, Android Certified Application Developer, OCP Java SE 8 Programmer, Security+, OCM Java SE 6 Developer, B.S. and M.S. in Computer Science
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Allow yourself to fail an exam and don't punish yourself for the financial lost. Once I allowed me to fail, it will help your anxiety and incidently you will fail less.  
    Keep up the good work - we're rooting for you!

Just a word of advice: familiarize yourself with the simulation questions you might see on the exam. Those are worth far more points than the multiple choice, and tend to make or break an exam attempt. To help fight test anxiety, try taking practice exams with a timer (if you haven't already). Then go back and answer any questions you missed, and go all the way through it again. After I did this a couple of times, I felt much more comfortable with the format going into the real exam.

Again, good luck, and keep us posted with your progress!
    Many thanks!

I've been timing myself and i feel very comfortable that i can complete the test in the time that is given to me. However, some simulation question that i think may be on the test like i don't know configuring a firewall I could use some brushing up on. 
    bjpeter said:
    D20 said:
    Hi everyone,

Did you buy the voucher that comes with a free retake from CompTIA’s website?
    I did this for both of my A+ tests and didn't have to use the retake. I may just purchase the test only this go around and leave out the free retake.SteveLavoie said:
    Allow yourself to fail an exam and don't punish yourself for the financial lost. Once I allowed me to fail, it will help your anxiety and incidently you will fail less.  
    My company will pay for the test the first time, so i am not too worried about the financial part of it. I would just be more under the impression that i let them down by wasting the money. I guess it really isn't wasted. We all learn from our mistakes, but I'm really hoping to pass so that it doesn't come to paying again.
  • deltzydeltzy Member Posts: 34 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This is the mindset that I took for my second attempt at the OSCP exam which I think was a key reasons why I passed.
    CISSP | OSCP | CREST CRT & CPSA | CCSKv4 | SEC + | CCENT | CISMP | AZ-900
    In Progress: CCSP, AZ-500

Got my test scheduled for Tuesday. I'm going in and going to do the best I can!
    Here's to hoping and praying I pass :)
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    @D20 How did you do on the test?
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • balancebalance Member Posts: 244 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Hope you passed 
    @D20 How did you do on the test?
    Scheduled for tomorrow morning @ 8am.
    I'll report back after the test.  :)
  • AdvancedguyAdvancedguy Member Posts: 7 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Check out the cram notes for Security+ from the website called www.examguides.com. This may help you in quick review of concepts before taking the exam
    Passed this morning with a 794!!!

I'll admit the test was tough, but i think the fact that i studied for 10 months really helped out. 
    My job is thinking about using Pluralsight and we are on a 2 week demo with them at the moment, so i used the practice questions from that site as well this last week before taking my test.

Thanks everyone for all the support here!!!

On to VMware certifications now!!!
  • lucky0977lucky0977 Member Posts: 218 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations. This 10 months of studying paid off. 
    Bachelor of Science: Computer Science | Hawaii Pacific University
    CISSP | CISM | CISA | CASP | SSCP | Sec+ | Net+ | A+
  • balancebalance Member Posts: 244 ■■■■■□□□□□