Career advice need help..

niba10niba10 Member Posts: 54 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,
I'm age 26 working at ISP have hands on experience on transmission line (SDH,DWDM), routers & switches, firewalls and little bit ESXi.
I have learned CCNA and routing & switching CCNP
what I certification/degree learn to be more employable next years?

Comments

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    What are YOU interested in doing?
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • niba10niba10 Member Posts: 54 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would say dealing with computers but this is huge field you can do programming, system, networking 
    but also want earn good money for what I do.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    what is your interest?
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • niba10niba10 Member Posts: 54 ■■■□□□□□□□
    bring money home and job secuirty
  • MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    you mentioned that you're working at an ISP. Does networking interest you? If it does and you want to stay with an ISP, you can go down the service provider track for either cisco or juniper. Network automation is something else to look into. Job security is always important, so staying fresh with skills often helps with that. As far as money, I have learned over the years that it's easy to chase whatever is paying well at the moment, but in the end, you have to do what really interests you. If you can get really good at that, the money will come.
  • diablo911diablo911 Member Posts: 36 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't much about computers, im about to finish a BS in computer networking only because i see every job posting for the most part requires it. As for networking degrees go, there are a sh*t tone of places to get one, just make sure its from a regionally accredited school. Most networking degrees are offered online, i came across a unique school i guess called southern miss that has one on campus. I wanted to move back home and finish up school there but the university doesn't offer specific networking degrees, just computer engineering and science. I guess the networking specific type of degree is new as apposed to the old timers i met that are all computer science grades that self learned networking, system administration ex ex. I would look around and see what you can find that interest you school wise, if your not a fan of online learning at a place like WGU, computer science might be your best bet. I would try to aim for an AAS in computer science, most places have that option. Stick it out and if you feel like you want to move on to another school, you should have no problem transferring. This is a degree in computer science though im talking about so it may not be something your interested in. Lots of math and code.
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If your interested in money I would suggest sales. If you don't like tech your not likely to be successful with your stated goals.
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    edited September 2019
    niba10 said:

what I certification/degree learn to be more employable next years?

Why not answer this yourself by doing a job search for positions that interest you to see what the market is demanding?  That seems to be a really underrated skill these days...
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Does your employer offer tuition assistance? I'd take advantage of that and start taking classes towards a bachelor's in some flavor of IT.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP